Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadows over riva is pissing me off.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I replayed the older games since i never did play SoR, but two interface regressions are pissing me off.

The journal disappeared. FFS.

In the older arkania titles you could move around towns in the town map instantly. Not so in SoR apparently. Moronic. I *will* try to cheat infinite spellpoints so i can use the teleport spell on towns.
:x

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Very beautiful digital music though.

only game since Interstate 76 that i'm tempted to rip tracks of. Pity it is either "gothic" terror or folksy.

Andhaira

Arcane
Its one of the best games ever made. If this is your first playthrough, I envy you you bastard.

Just wait till you get into the water dragon fight in the sewers...best fight of the entire game.

mondblut

Arcane
SCO said:
In the older arkania titles you could move around towns in the town map instantly. Not so in SoR apparently. Moronic. :x

Well, since the whole game is said town, this is understandable.

dr. one

Augur
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Are these games actually good? Reports on them seem mixed (and seemed to be at the time) and nobody seems to know what's really good about them.

well, first two games provide detailed simulation of overland exploration, well designed dungeons, character system with shitload of possibilities and solid combat system.
if you don´t mind the micromanagement which comes with it, games´ emphasis on "realism" (food, water, danger of illnesses, need for warm clothes, etc) makes traveling and dungeon spelunking rather exciting enterprise.

from what i remember, compared to the first one, the second game went a bit overkill with survivalist aspects and had less interesting overland map, but sported better designed dungeons and more interesting "story" scenarios.
third game ditched overland exploration which automatically made it less interesting in my book, since that was probably my favourite aspect of previous titles and imo what made them memorable (and quite unique too) the most.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
They have some game stopping bugs (or better, game escaping, they break the plot). It's handy to have a list of them at the start.

The first game can be broken by setting fire to some spider eggs, that would eventually fill the dungeon with smoke (that killed you, without counter and you need to pass through it sometimes).

The second game has some too, some intentional - but with indication (hardcore) some not - don't ask the right question from a information broker ("travel" i think) on one of three opportunities and you're hosed - can't get out of the city. If you win the fight after you do finally get out of the city, you'll break the plot (haven't personally tried this one out, seems unlikely it is "broken", since the item in question is used automatically when you need it and approach the right place. Maybe it's only the plot-line that is broken and you can jump ahead if you know what to do - this would be good since it would make the game more non-linear). The plot itself also seems incomplete, somehow. Three i'm doing now.

The main quest in blade of destiny is timed, and there are two timed quests in star trail. The MQ limit is generous, the star trail not so much.

You can lose your items, but it's never necessary to lose your magic items to progress (except one in that bug above i guess), these are alternative paths or just bad luck. One of my favorite items is the "Travia amulet" (makes you immune to thirst and hunger. Though getting hungry and thirsty is one of the most exciting parts of the game, at least like this one of the characters could survive and carry the corpse of a companion to the temple (only one, the others are dead if you don't have enough people living - you need to unjoin them i think). There is another two that make this even more convenient, but you need to do specific hard things. The items transfer between games.

You have to have lots of time and patience to do these games. NPC's are all over the town, before realms 3 they only allowed 3 questions a day even if you needed the information (and there is a LONG list of questions you accumulate), and the way to find out about where people live is ask in taverns or search the whole city.

I love the first one the best. It's like a more rigid darklands.
You need to be very disciplined and read the manual. Diseases can kill you dead easy: in my first game i was constantly getting them and using my druid to cure them, but this is unnecessary and harmful, since they can drain your stats. Better is prevent them by having a cooking pot, warm clothes, blankets, tableware, forks, blankets etc. You can avoid most of them except the very annoying battle fever (maybe it too, if you have the magic to heal before combat ends).

When you encounter a suspiciously strong enemy/encounter try to identify his drops. Things that are magical look indistinguishable from a iron sword mostly.

For gods sake get a magician with the tranversallis spell.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh btw, they have a strange experience system.
There are lots of different kinds of enemies. And the first time you fight them you get a large experience bonus, capisce?

Then, of course, it is to your advantage to find the largest possible group of these to fight the first time. You'll gain lots of levels if you painstakingly micromanage your first fights. This is much harder of course. For example, in stair trail there is a encounter against 20 town guards if you are too nosy in one place. Good luck.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Some people play the game with dead characters : they don't eat or drink, but they still have a inventory :retarded:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
SCO said:
Some people play the game with dead characters : they don't eat or drink, but they still have a inventory :retarded:
Yay! NPCs often used for this purpose in the BoD .

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The recruitable ones? That's interesting, the fuckers were always betraying or giving up at the worst times. Would be appropriate to lug the corpse of that thief fucker around. Son-of-a-bitch.

(Like M&M you can recruit specific npcs: some (most) will only be around for a time, and not between games. They tend to leave abruptly with your hardearned stuff. Only one at a time possible - you lose them forever after that - they are computer controlled in combat, no other bonus).

Cynicus

Augur
SCO said:
The journal disappeared. FFS.

There's a journal. You can access it via one of the function keys (F5 iirc) or through the interface by clicking on "Realms of Arkania."

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
There ... there isn't a wait option...

I declare this game a early example of decline. IT TOOK
LARPING FAR TOO FAR.

:x

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
First the journal and now the inn. Stop complaining about features that are there but that you didn't notice ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom