Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadows of Esteren: Awesome looking French RPG being translated

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1176616619/shadows-of-esteren

The link is to their Kickstarter, which was quite successful. They want funds for translation and for bonus goodies. Game is already out in France. PPL who backed the kickstarter have started recieving their PDFs of the book.

I really like what I hear about the game: It is basically a fantasy game with dark, gothic elements. The setting is similar to ancient Celtic England, and PCs are basically normal ppl (warriors, hearlers, priests) who get caught up in dark gothic horror during their mundane lives. Magic is minimal, but from what I hear PCs can get spells. There is also magitech or something like that.

The art looks AMAZING.

From what I hear the book will be officially launched on Gen Con in Kwa, though I am not sure if that is also when it will be available for everyone else. I don't suppose anyone here backed the kickstarter and got their pdf?

lightbane

Arcane
Not bad, characters look real (or in other words, no chainmal bikini). It may be worth of checking it when it's out.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Paizo goes for the dungeon punk with a dash of anime style. It is pretty good for what it is, but yeah Estern's work is better and far more realistic (i.e. no chainmail bikinis, no humungous swords weilded by stick thin females, etc etc). Their artists probably cost around the same too.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The artwork is pretty enough. But I'd love to see some more actual rules crunch or setting fluff to tell me why I should sink several evenings into learning the system and rounding up friends to try it. I guess I'll wait for the PDFs to show up on the usual places and give them a read-through. If it's good enough to convince me I want to run something in it, I'll end up buying the hardcover anyway since electronics are banished from my gaming table under penalty of being pelted with dice.

Paizos dungeon punk artstyle started when they decided it would be a good idea to have their Iconic Characters* look like they actually carried all the odds and ends people write down on their character sheets. Readership of Dungeon magazine, which was what they published back then, were overall extremely thrilled with the graphical style, so they decided to stick with it.

*Iconic Character being an adventurer of every class with a predefined look. SAid character designs are then used as references when they comission artwork for their adventureres, so the same characters repeat. WotC did the same with Lidda, Mialee, Regdar etc in 3.x.

catfood

AGAIN
Paizos dungeon punk artstyle started when they decided it would be a good idea to have their Iconic Characters* look like they actually carried all the odds and ends people write down on their character sheets. Readership of Dungeon magazine, which was what they published back then, were overall extremely thrilled with the graphical style, so they decided to stick with it.

*Iconic Character being an adventurer of every class with a predefined look. SAid character designs are then used as references when they comission artwork for their adventureres, so the same characters repeat. WotC did the same with Lidda, Mialee, Regdar etc in 3.x.

The iconic character concept I really dig. Even though I don't like all of them I can see that they add flavour and cohecieveness (sp?) to their works.

Paizo CAN sometimes make good artwork though as seen here:
http://i.imgur.com/uj3oz.jpg
(couldn't find a pic of it on the net so I had to take a snapshot from a pdf and I'm on a netbook that's why it's so low rez)

Most of the time is really cartoony, though, and not in a good way.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
So, anyone manage to get their hands on the core rulebook or at least pdf of core rulebook for this yet? (hardcopy was available at GenCon and for Kickstarter preorders, pdf was available for kickstarters)

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Interesting: There is a point and click adventure game being worked on set in the Esteren world. It's called The Mac Lyr’s Legacy.

True, it's not an rpg but is a shit adventure game, but it has the potential to be very atmospheric. And who knows, it may have combat and rpg elements ala Quest for Glory.

At the very least, if it does well it might encourage the IP owners to fund or get funding for a real CRPG, based on the pnp rpg rules.

Also, everyone reading this, may I direct your attention to this thread in GD:

http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/codex-your-help-is-needed.76068/

I could really, really use someone's help here please.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Awesome news! Kickstarter for Esteren supplement (english), called Book 0 is now live. The video has one of the most haunting tracks I have ever heard:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1176616619/shadows-of-esteren-a-medieval-horror-rpg-prologue

For just $5 (minimum pledge) you can get the pdf of this supplement, which has 3 adventures and some other cool stuff. Also, for those who didn't get the core rulebook, here is your oppertunity to get it on the cheap (either pdf or discounted hardcopy shipped worldwide or both)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom