Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Online/Browsergame in development

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Mangoose said:
GarfunkeL said:
Mangoose said:
Excidium said:
Sounds fun, just don't go too crazy on the microtransations.

Also this thread should be moved to the MMO subforum.
How is this an MMO?

The game will feature two major parts – the action map, where you (and your friends) do missions from stealthily infiltrating a secret Renraku research facility to punching the lights out of a major Aztechnology outpost with guns blazing. Hacking, magic and gunfights are all part of that and will be done simultaneously (so nobody needs to go for pizza while your hacker battles Black ICE for two hours).
So, Diablo II is an MMO?

Uh Diablo II has an single-player element. Correct me if I'm wrong but this game seems multiplayer only.

Ninja-edit: preparing for your runs alone isn't any different from preparing for your raids - which is a solitary experience in any MMO.

Ninja-edit2: yeah, dunno whether it's MASSIVELY or not - but since it's marketed as "online" and browser-based, I'd say it's a good guess that you are always connected and can just grab random people to team up with, like in an MMO.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So is Battlefield 2 a MMOFPS because you basically play multiplayer only, and you team up with random people on a server? And then you can go on different servers and play. You even have take the same stats and unlocks along with you.

I'd say you need to be able to interact gameplay-wise with a "massive" number of people simultaneously. Not just chat in a lobby and then travel to an instanced map.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jesus Christ, Mangoose.

"the first 'M' stands for Massively! I'm very clever!"

if a game has enough common elements with MMOs it is classified as an MMO, even if it isn't. Guild Wars, DDO, Vindictus, Jagged Alliance Online...all these games have their threads on MMO discussion.

Mangoose said:
I'd say you need to be able to interact gameplay-wise with a "massive" number of people simultaneously. Not just chat in a lobby and then travel to an instanced map.
So WOW isn't a MMO then? Because I interacted with only around 24 other people most of the time, unless you count the auction house as a player.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So.. every single multiplayer game in existence is an MMO?

You do realize if you take away Massively from MMOG you get Multiplayer Online Game, right?

So WOW isn't a MMO then? Because I interacted with only around 24 other people most of the time, unless you count the auction house as a player.
What you did in a game != What's possible to do in a game.

100 people can hit the same mob in WoW outdoors. Can't same the same for DDO, Guild Wars, Diablo II, Vindictus, Jagged Alliance Online (care to name more lobby non-MMOs?).

if a game has enough common elements with MMOs it is classified as an MMO, even if it isn't.
:retarded:
DA2 is an MMO because it has a lot of common elements of WoW, like stats, inventory, leveling, and you have tanking and aggro too!

Destroid

Arcane
Everything is an MMO these days. It must be a buzzword that publishers have a hard-on for with the ridiculous way it is applied.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Mangoose said:
You do realize if you take away Massively from MMOG you get Multiplayer Online Game, right?
That's exactly my point.

It's just a fucking M. People decided to use the same term to classify a game that shares most of the essential mechanics with MMORPGs except for the continuous world. Go aspie mode on them, not on me.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Excidium said:
Mangoose said:
That's exactly my point.

It's just a fucking M. People decided to use the same term to classify a game that shares most of the essential mechanics with MMORPGs except for the continuous world. Go aspie mode on them, not on me.
If you defend them you're with them :twisted:

primetide

Novice
AlaCarcuss said:
Man, I know the game itself will probably be shit - but the screenshots of JAO on that site gave me wood.
aah, thanks for the words of encouragement. You meant shit in a good way, right?
While it won't be JA2 level complexity, we actually think it may be a decent game, though.

And regarding the M in MMO - Shadowrun Online will probably not be that M and more MO, as well as RPG. I do agree the classification gets deluded as every online game nowadays is termed an MMO.
Well, we can call Jagged Alliance Online A MOTARPG (multiplayer online tactical action rpg), and Shadowrun probably a MOTAIRPG (as above but add I for infiltration).
boy will that be fun to say during presentations...

primetide

Novice
which cities should we feature?

I know this is playing with fire, but...
We are currently thinking about which cities we should feature in our Shadowrun game first. Seattle is kind of a given, we also want at least one German city, but we expect to be able to start with around five cities, so we have three candidates left...
Which would be the most interesting in your opinion and why? And we do mean with regards to the Shadowrun setting, not in general...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
^ :lol:

Try something Asian? I dunno, Shanghai, Taiwan, Beijing, Singapore etc.

One from every continent would be great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom