Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shadowgate remake - NOW AVAILABLE!

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I gotta admit, I always get a little excited when a company announces a cut feature in a new version. I never heard of this cut puzzle, but I'm interested to see where it goes. It doesn't hurt that its not a price stretch goal either.

OtakuMan30

Novice
I gotta admit, I always get a little excited when a company announces a cut feature in a new version. I never heard of this cut puzzle, but I'm interested to see where it goes. It doesn't hurt that its not a price stretch goal either.

Now here's an interesting dilemma I noticed regarding this update. It would seem that asking for 1,000 Likes on Facebook in exchange for this new content has left a bad taste in the mouths of a few people. Over on GOG.com's forums, people showed signs of disappointment about asking for something like this in exchange for content. I heard some say that they felt that this was a "Big Game Publisher" tactic and were saddened by seeing a small company like Zojoi use it.

It took me a few minutes, but stepping back, I realized why people have an issue with doing this:

It's as if we're holding the content hostage. Either give us all your money, I mean, "Likes", or the content gets it!

Thing is, I know for certain that Dave & Karl want to get this content in the game no matter what. (Granted the Hurricane has made communication with them today tricky and I probably won't get word back from them until tomorrow) More than anything else, we just want to get more "Likes" on the FB page, and I actually want that too considering that I manage the page there.

So what can be done to motivate an increase in FB "Likes" without doing what Dave wanted to do with Black Axe?

Definitely not make it a Stretch Goal (even though that was actually a thought I had considered since they may have thought more Facebook "Likes" would translate into going over the target. But if Dave & Karl had already planned on including this in the design plan already as part of the $120,000 budget, then no Stretch Goal would be necessary anyway.)

On the flip side, we did get almost 150 new FB "Likes" today... :) Now if we can just get to 1,000! Any suggestions on how to motivate folks to help us get there?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
OtakuMan30 in addition to my suggestion on the GOG forums, why not consider uploading more screens etc to Facebook, perhaps even higher resolution ones?

I'd like to say that the 8bit graphics made the death sequences in all of your past games more horrifying for me. The new grim reaper seems almost a wee bit friendlier in comparison to the perpetually grinning wanker who destroyed my hopes of finishing Shadowgate when I was a kid.

.... either that or I've grown so jaded that I'd welcome death.

PS. Don't forget to put the Deja Vu theme on the flute again. :)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Zojoi 1 minute ago

Hey everyone!
We just wanted to do a fun promotion while the campaign was running and figured liking the Facebook page was a good way to do that and, like the hidden Easter egg wallpaper, basically offer our backers a free thing. So, if you would like to like us on FB, we appreciate it but we are more than happy to add the Black Axe puzzle to the game regardless.

:bro:

kaizoku

Arcane
I'm from a pre-Shadowgate era, so even after watching a review video of an original SG game, I'm not convinced (the traumatizing SNES interface doesn't help on that).

My request is would it be possible for Zojoi, in one of the updates, to post a LP video or images, showing what exactly can we expect from gameplay.
If you have the interface done, it would be nice posting it too.

There will be news, updates, and extras to be released over the course of the campaign. If you want some help staying on top of it, my recommendations are:

1) Go to our KickStarter campaign page and click the "Remind Me" button underneath the Pitch Video. You'll need to have registered with KickStarter and be logged in, but once you turn on the "Remind Me" feature, an e-mail will be sent out to you whenever we post an update! :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zojoi/shadowgate

2) Like us on Facebook! We have an official FB page where we're posting announcements regularly throughout the campaign. We'll be sharing updates, news articles from the gaming press, fan created works (a lot of people have made 3D models of Castle Shadowgate and/or remixed the NES soundtrack), and then some. Better yet, if you see something on there you really, really like, you can "Share" it with your other FB buddies which in turn spreads the word about the campaign, which then increases the odds of it succeeding, and you see where I'm going with this. :)

http://www.facebook.com/zojoigame

3) Follow us on Twitter! So you're out and about, away from your computer, and thinking, "I wonder how the Shadowgate KickStarter is doing? Are there any new updates?" Well, by following us on Twitter, you can set it to notify you via text or Mobile App to tell you when new updates are released (and see what chit chat we might be making with other video game personalities; I just saw Notch and Brian Fargo do an entire conversation over Twitter earlier today!) so you can stay on top of it all wherever you are. You can also Retweet anything you find cool to share with your friends and once again, you know where I'm going with this ;)

http://twitter.com/zojoi

4) Sign up for the Zojoi newsletter! You can sign up at the Zojoi homepage, and will get notified by e-mail whenever anything big happens!

http://www.zojoi.com/

PHEW!

Okay, that's enough shameless self-promotion for now. I don't want to go overboard.

Although, if you do want to see something cool, may I suggest checking out our first Update that just went up today! Our composer, Rich Douglas, demonstrates and goes over some of the behind the scenes work on Shadowgate's Sound Design!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zojoi/shadowgate/posts/336423

That wasn't what I commented about :roll:

My request was for gameplay info. And a LP is a great way to do that.

I'm getting really excited now. Not that my excitement counts for much, being an unemployed pauper leaves little room in my budget for pledges but if I could I'd nab one of those staffs of ages because I SPENT AN ENTIRE FUCKING YEAR PLAYING THIS GOD DAMNED GAME BEFORE I REALIZED HOW TO CREATE THAT FUCKING THING! ARGH!

I hope to feel that level of annoyance once more.

OtakuMan30

Novice
That wasn't what I commented about :roll:

My request was for gameplay info. And a LP is a great way to do that.

Whoops! I didn't realize that's what you meant. My bad.

Here are some interview articles that might help:

Gamasutra - News - Seminal 80s adventure Shadowgate hopes for Kickstarter comeback
Shadowgate remake hits Kickstarter, adds new rooms, graphics and music to original adventure | Polygon
A successful Shadowgate could pave the way for new Deja Vu, other MacVentures | Polygon
How to find the secret website in Shadowgate’s Kickstarter video and more (interview) | VentureBeat

If I find any interviews or exclusives that might have more information, I'll be sure to share it! :)

OtakuMan30

Novice
Abso-fucking-lutely amazing.

I'm going to boot up my NES and drink from the fountain right now.
You don't mean the fountain that requires the gauntlet, do you?

Also, in those interviews I linked up there, I believe one of them mentions the EPOR room. That room's a good example of a mix of new and old. You'll come across the room as usual, but a new problem has arisen:

It's flooded with the water level rising!

The same fountain. It was one of my favorite deaths, right next to the Slime and the use arrow on self death.

Changing the EPOR room? Sounds like you guys are really going balls to the walls with this one then, I always got a bit of respite in the EPOR room after defeating the wraith but now? And undead chasing you in the chasm room? Sounds a lot like the maze in Uninvited which I loved... Good stuff, all in all.

OtakuMan30

Novice

OtakuMan30

Novice
The same fountain. It was one of my favorite deaths, right next to the Slime and the use arrow on self death.

Changing the EPOR room? Sounds like you guys are really going balls to the walls with this one then, I always got a bit of respite in the EPOR room after defeating the wraith but now? And undead chasing you in the chasm room? Sounds a lot like the maze in Uninvited which I loved... Good stuff, all in all.

Yup! So relying on what you remembered from before might not save your skin this time! This will help make the game challenging for both players new and old. Even I don't know all the changes and additions Dave & Karl are working on! (That way, I don't accidentally risk spilling the beans on what you'll come across in the game!)

But here's a new update from Zojoi that I think you'll get a kick out of:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zojoi/shadowgate/posts/338440

To celebrate Halloween, we've announced new additions to the $30 tier! Anyone who pledges $30 and up (and this includes everyone who has already pledged at that tier too), will get a digital map like the cloth map that will be included with the physical copy of the game, and also a digital set of desktop calendar wallpapers! From November 2013 (Shadowgate's expected release date) to December 2014, you'll have a new and unique Wallpaper for each month; 14 in all! They'll come in a variety of resolutions so they'll fit on just about any device, and are also available "with or without" the calendar part; no months to get in the way of enjoying the artwork.

image-176265-full.jpg

The update also includes a Speed-painting video of lead artist Chris Cold drawing the artwork for "January" in the calendar. Check it out!

And there you have it! If you like what you see, the KickStarter is the place to go:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zojoi/shadowgate

Hmm... I think it's time I added the links to the Zojoi twitter, Facebook, KickStarter, and Homepace in my signature profile. That way I don't have to constantly type them.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I always got a bit of respite in the EPOR room after defeating the wraith but now?

If I recall, the Wraith was one of the few things that couldn't kill you. At least it couldn't in the GBC edition. I've never played the original Mac ones and the NES one was pretty much the same as the GBC if I recall.

:bro: I also really loved Deja Vu and Uninvited. If I had to choose though, I'd pick Uninvited because it hasn't had a new version since the NES version.

OtakuMan30

Novice
Hey, that Wraith scared the shit out of me as a kid. :(

XD I'd say that means that Dave & Karl did their job! :) On another forum, someone was lamenting about the constant death and torch-based time keeping. I informed them that "Sorry, those features are part of what makes Shadowgate, Shadowgate."

But at least the hint system will be in place to help them out if they get stuck. And part of the instant deaths also support the scariness of the game; you never know what might kill you and what won't! :)

OtakuMan30

Novice
Still wondering if the flute will play the Deja Vu theme over here! I fucking loved the music in Deja Vu....

I'll put that in as a request to Dave & Karl! And speaking of Deja Vu, I found this a while back which just sounds sublime:

If we're super successful and can get to Deja Vu before too long, I'm wondering if Al Lowe would be willing to play saxophone for the revised music if we asked him. That'd be pretty awesome. I mean listen to him doing the Larry theme!​

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just FYI a SomethingAwful user has started a Let's Play of Shadowgate to celebrate the Kickstarter: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514553
Blast!

It says I need to register to watch it, but to register requires a registration fee of about $10! Ack!

Shame too because I REALLY want to see what they're doing!

Any advice on how to watch/follow this? I'd like to be able to share it with folks.

SomethingAwful occasionally closes access to the Let's Play subforum to make people register. A period of closed access usually lasts for about a week or two - or at least it used to last a week or two, I dunno, they might've changed the rules. So I'm afraid the only option (aside from spending $10) is to keep an eye on the thread and see if it opens up someday.

OtakuMan30

Novice
Just FYI a SomethingAwful user has started a Let's Play of Shadowgate to celebrate the Kickstarter: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514553
Blast!

It says I need to register to watch it, but to register requires a registration fee of about $10! Ack!

Shame too because I REALLY want to see what they're doing!

Any advice on how to watch/follow this? I'd like to be able to share it with folks.

SomethingAwful occasionally closes access to the Let's Play subforum to make people register. A period of closed access usually lasts for about a week or two - or at least it used to last a week or two, I dunno, they might've changed the rules. So I'm afraid the only option (aside from spending $10) is to keep an eye on the thread and see if it opens up someday.

I can't even see the thread! It's completely behind a wall! Blech!

Although interestingly enough, while I ponder ways to view this awesome Shadowgate topic on Something Awful's forums, I've actually, in a bit of sheer luck, gotten the attention of Wil Wheaton! Apparently, Wesley Crusher is a big fan of the MacVenture games!

Kick him in the nads when he comes to visit and tell him that Ess Vee thought that his contributions to The Next Generation sucked ass.

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom