Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowbane dying?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I know it belongs in the MMORPG section, but I figured no one would notice. Anyone know if Shadowbane is dying or not? I hear rumors every now and again, but I don't really know. If it is, then I'm kinda sorry to see it go, as I actually enjoyed alot of stuff in that game.

DarkSign

Erudite
No its actually not. Technically Ubisoft has ceased support of the game and has made it free. WolfPack studios main devs have moved on to a new MMO venture.

LG is right that the population has been in steady decline...until recently. The news of free to play has raised the populations on the servers dramatically.

Im in a guild on Mourning if anyone's interested.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Well, that's kind of the reason why everyone got bored and left so quickly. Trick is to find good games to setup guilds with, and not every new flash in the pan game that lasts you like 2 days.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I'd give it a go, if people just pointed me in the right direction. I hate mmorpgs, but I love wasting my ( and other people's ) precious time.

Tal

Novice
I joined up and got to level 3. The controls in my opinion are kind of wack and the grinding is boring, but I'll keep on chipping away so I can get into the City action. I'm Talance on Mourning if anyone wants to join up.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Are you Codex bastards getting in on this? If so, I'd gladly waste my time in a Codex guild.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I'm in, but I got to read up on how the hell this game is played. First time I logged in, the controls and the place freaked me out.

EDIT: Is Mourning the official gathering point as of now?

EDIT2: No way man, it has lower population. Join the top one, Vindication eh. :M

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
I made a character on Mourning. Got to level 3. I fucking hate the controls. Let me use the keyboard to move dammit!!!

I only played about an hour, so it better get more enjoyable.

Anyways, my character is Rindall Flagg on Mourning. If Vindication ends up being the place to be, I'll make another there.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Just do it man. Anyways, the game seems to be totally shit alrite, and the people playing it are quite generic -- I'd say worse than the Anarchy Online population, and they were pretty gosh darn crap as well. I'm not sure what kind of "strategic pvp" bonanza awaits after the trial of "LOWL NEWB ISLE", but I think I won't enjoy it. Uninstallation estimate: tops 48 hours.

Warrior Vampire Varlet on Vindiction, lvl 9 or 7 or whatever.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I'd invest a week, if there was something to be gained from it. From what I've seen so far, there should be tons of better games for tag-teaming with the codex community than this.

DarkSign

Erudite
Mourning is where my guild plays. As it so happens I deleted my characters...but im willing to come back since this is my favorite MMO of all time.

Here's my quick (super quick) explanation of how the game works:

Players start off in small npc villages and progress their skills by level. Each level you are given a certain amount of points to spend on % levels of skills. But you need gold to pay for this training.

Skills have major types and minor skills. For example, one class might have Shadowmastery as its main skill..and as that skill % goes higher, you get spells based on that power. The more % you put into it, the more unlock, but more importantly, the more damage you do with that spell.

Damage is of course also based on attributes like STR, INT, DEX...etc. So if the skill you're using or the weapon you're using is based of DEX (say a bow) then your damage will go up with Archery and with Dex.

EAch level you are given points also to add to your characters stats.

In general, defense works off of the DEX skill and damage works off DEX or STR or INT depending on what weapon/magic you are using.

Now, lets get to classes. There are 4 archetypes and classes within each.

The Fighter's Way: The Path of Might
Professions:
Barbarian - pure brute strength
Crusader - part fighter, part paladin type. holy damage and weapons.
Huntress - caster and pet commander
Ranger - dexterity, range attacks, and buffs
Sentinel - skip
Templar -
Warlock - debuffer and mental damage nuker
Warrior - strength and defense

The Healer's Way: The Path of Faith
Professions:
Channeler -
Confessor - blooddrain magic
Crusader
Doomsayer
Druid - buff, debuff, and dot
Prelate -
Priest - heal and holy damage

The Mage's Way: The Path of Lore
Professions:
Assassin - stealth caster, drain dots, damage nukes
Bard - all in one, but weak. buffs, nukes, debuffs,
Channeler
Doomsayer
Fury - elemental magic, group flight (thought to be good for seiges)
Necromancer
Warlock - mental debuffer, mental nuker
Wizard - nuker

The Rogue's Way: The Path of Skill
Professions:
Assassin - stealth, backstab,
Barbarian
Bard - dex version of the mage. lots of buffs and debuffs.
Huntress
Nightstalker
Ranger
Scout - fastest runner, best tracking, can run while invised
Thief - fast runner, high defense, can steal from people

When you get a feel for what you'd like to play, begin looking at races.

Aelfborn - dex monkeys. seen as a good mix of dex and int and con, but master of none.
Aracoix - bird men who have natural flight. Good at rogue professions (ranger, theif, assassin) or barbarians (one of my best characters of all time was a bird barb with throwing axes)
Centaurs - run super fast, but limited to warrior type cprofessions. Make good warriors or holy nukers.
Dwarves - fun little bastards. Str based. Some like to go the weird route of dex dagger dwarves. dont do it.
Elves - high int, low con. best at wizards, holy nukers, or assassins.
Half Giants - best at warrior professions. stay away. they suck. (someone will tell you they dont, but these are lies)
Humans - supposed to be thebest mix of all, but not that great.
Irekei - red faced. look like darth maul. great at certain types of rogue professions or mage classes (sundancer - hand to hand boxer or assassin - rogue or mage either)
Minotaurs - str based. look cool but never really liked em. good cannon fodder. Slow runners.
Nephilim - demon kind. great int nukers. natural flight
Shades - int characters. Rogue or mage. Can be really great or really sucky.
Vampires - drainer and sometimes scout. played one for a month and didnt like them.

Obviously different races have different mixes of stats.
Just like almost every rpg, at creation you get a pool of points and can spend them on your character however you like.

You also get a chance to give your character [url=http://chronicle.ubi.com/sb_traits.php]Traits
which can only be done at creation. These can make you twohanded, higher max int, +% to certain skills...lots of combinations. Dont mess this up.

The other thing you have to realize about characters is that they can be further customized with Runestones.

Thes runes can add extra attributes (STR, INT - +5, +10) or they can add extra abilities. The abilities are called disciplines.

Disciplines

Certain abilities are only gained by applying one of these runestones to your character. And just so you know...you can only apply a limited number of these to your character...10

Where do these come from? Well there are NPCs that spawn and everyone races to kill them to get the rune. Some are highly sought after (huntsman lets you track people) and others are crap (+5 spirit).

Head reeling yet? Its not that hard, but it really opens up a lot of character combinations. There are "flavors of the month" meaning templates that really do well and so people copy them or vary them. Some suck, but soeone has played it well so people gravitate towards what they think works.

Character Creation Guide

Basically you make your character and go out and hunt. Id suggest getting in a group. First they will prolly be alts of other people and can take you to the hotspots. Second, you share xp. So the more people in a group, the more xp you get. You can take all the xp by going solo, but its faster in a group.

Gear
Youll start out in character creation with a "kit" which is what clothes and weapons you'll get for free.

As you progress you will want to buy jewelry and better weapons. Each of these has a durability that goes down when you die. sucks, but its a money sink for the game.

Merchanting and City building
When you gain enough money, you can buy a scroll that allows you to contruct a building. There are many different types and each house a certain kind of NPC. This npc will "roll" or craft your items (clothign, different armor or weapon types..etc) for you, but you have to wait.

Both buildings and NPC vendors have ranks that take money and time to improve. With higher ranks come better weapons to be made and faster rolling times.

When a person/guild starts a town, they find an open spot and plant a Tree of Life. This tree confers magical invulernability to a certain number of buildings (also ranked) until a seige is laid.

Guilds can build great walls around their towns with towers and stairs and guards to protect them. The guards are housed in barracks which can be ranked up to get more guards at higher skill levels. Even the guard paths can be set.

Seiges
This is what this game is all about. One guild lays down a "banestone" and the defending guild has 2 days to decide at what time they want the seige to start (usually 3 days - the max). 2am seiges suck because you cant get everyone online but they are fun as fuck.

From the time the seige starts its a simple race....they try to destroy your tree of life...and the defenders try to destroy your banestone. Simple hitpoint depletion.

These seiges can have great maneuvering...or complete chaos. Get ready to lag or memory leak out. Its a fact of life. But its worth it. Trust me.

Exploring

Different zones have different npc races and levels of creature to level up on.

Desert, forest, swamp, ashen, ...its all there.

Its really a great game because its about skill and intelligence. Sure there arent any quests, but intelligence in making a good template and the skill to play it well are hard to come by.

Thats my super short intro. Cant wait to see yall in the game.

P.S. We have a TeamSpeak server if you want to use it.
Ill ask them and see if its ok if enough people want to talk on it.

DarkSign

Erudite
St. Toxic said:
Just do it man. Anyways, the game seems to be totally shit alrite, and the people playing it are quite generic -- I'd say worse than the Anarchy Online population, and they were pretty gosh darn crap as well. I'm not sure what kind of "strategic pvp" bonanza awaits after the trial of "LOWL NEWB ISLE", but I think I won't enjoy it. Uninstallation estimate: tops 48 hours.

Warrior Vampire Varlet on Vindiction, lvl 9 or 7 or whatever.

You have no idea then. Theres a lot of strategy...and emotion...and intelligence that go into this game. If you wuss out after 48 hours then you know nothing about the game. Maybe you dont want to, but dotn come back here slaggin the game.

There are an infinite number of character builds, lots of different play styles, one on one, 5 on 5 or seige combat...and none of these is ever the same way twice.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Theres a lot of strategy...and emotion...and intelligence that go into this game.

Really? Well, it looks like a bunch of faggots running around hacking shit into pieces and broadcasting "LOL MIE CLAN SI BETTER THEN YORFS" in the gamechat. I'll assume you mean "Strategy" as in "Strategy to counter balance of character builds to improve yourself beyond others" -- equal to a walkthrough based on trial and error. "Emotion" ain't for sale on "NEWB ISLE LOWL" as getting killed has no real consequences. Beyond that, there shouldn't be too many emotions around -- even Slayers had a wedding level and that's one stiff, structured mmo mang. "Intelligence" I feel is evidenced by level of communication, and if you'll agree with me on that then this is truly a game in lacking of that special trait. In short -- I don't agree.

SlyDrak

Scholar
--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom