Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Severed Steel

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, it's like the movement of Titanfall mixed with FEAR in terms of using slo-mo and environmental destruction. The campaign is rather short (like 2 hours) but there's no filler, the "story" is told in-between chapters in short scenes and there's pretty much no dialogue aside from the various enemies shouting orders. Early in the campaign you get what is basically Mega Man's arm cannon that can blast holes in walls. You only ever have one weapon at a time (since the character only has one hand) and once you run out of bullets you throw the weapon. There's also no health pickups but headshots heal you so you have to be constantly moving to avoid damage, once you die the level restarts. The map designs are pretty good. Most walls and items are destructible and it's really chaotic. In addition to the short campaign there's also a 'sandbox' type arcade mode where you can set up different rules and the map and then just play. It also has Steam workshop support.

It's very much a gameplay focused game. It's fun, especially if you just want to jump in and shoot shit for a bit.

toughasnails

Yes, it's like the movement of Titanfall mixed with FEAR in terms of using slo-mo and environmental destruction. The campaign is rather short (like 2 hours) but there's no filler, the "story" is told in-between chapters in short scenes and there's pretty much no dialogue aside from the various enemies shouting orders. Early in the campaign you get what is basically Mega Man's arm cannon that can blast holes in walls. You only ever have one weapon at a time (since the character only has one hand) and once you run out of bullets you throw the weapon. There's also no health pickups but headshots heal you so you have to be constantly moving to avoid damage, once you die the level restarts. The map designs are pretty good. Most walls and items are destructible and it's really chaotic. In addition to the short campaign there's also a 'sandbox' type arcade mode where you can set up different rules and the map and then just play. It also has Steam workshop support.

It's very much a gameplay focused game. It's fun, especially if you just want to jump in and shoot shit for a bit.
I'd say that it easily has the best movement out of new indie FPSs, it's almost like playing a first person Vanquish tbh.
There is another upcoming game that is very similar in some ways

bullet time, destructible voxel objects, female protagonist, but it seems to promise longer and more feature rich campaign. The action doesn't look as smooth as Severed Steel on the other hand.

orcinator

Liturgist
I kinda like it but it does feel rather shallow since you can maintain slowmo and invincibility forever as long as you don't fatfinger the keyboard.

It does succeed at its basic premise unlike say, necromunda hired gun which tried to do something similar with it's movement mechanics but fucked up the execution.

orcinator

Liturgist
Downloaded the gog goodies because I liked some of the songs and I wanted to see if there's art of the soldier guys.
We almost had a disabled poc MC
pcehtz.png

lightbane

Arcane
Of course, lacking an arm would most likely have no gameplay consequences because SJWs are always perfect (totally). Maximum pozz!

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Finished it and had some fun albeit the glaring issue of permanent slow-mo/invincibility. Keeping it up is way to easy and after mapping right click to slow-motion toggle I found myself spending most of the game wall running in god mode, which turns the game into targeting exercise vs slowly moving enemies that pose no threat. And you have to use it all the time on the highest difficulty since you're dead meat otherwise. So its either dead on arrival or trivially easy, neither case makes for a particularly enjoyable challenge. The movement system is great and the destructible environments are a nice touch. Shooting and weapons feel good and the a.i. also does a fair job. But the only "challenge" was keeping a steady stream of weapons while maintaining slow-mo, which wasn't hard at all. The game would be a lot better if they had managed a better balance of the difficulty together with the slow-motion mechanic, but its still good for short lived entertainment, even in its current form.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom