Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Settings and their lack of differentiation

laclongquan

Arcane
I dunno~

True, the War of the Ring is incredibly hard to make a game, but you dont have concentrate on major plotlines and major characters.

You can be a servant of Saruman, ranger, scout, etc... who doing quest from Mirkwood to Gondor to keep an eyes on the appearance of the new threat. watching Saruman succumb. Watching the march of Ents...

or other things like helping elven migration, defeating bandits...

You can do it, but just give up on one single factor, you are not the Major Characters. That's it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
We need more 'real world' rpgs, urban fantasy where the magic is not known by the rest of society and you have to hide your actions from the cops and authorities, that would be awesome.

Beastro

Arcane
I dunno~

True, the War of the Ring is incredibly hard to make a game, but you dont have concentrate on major plotlines and major characters.

You can be a servant of Saruman, ranger, scout, etc... who doing quest from Mirkwood to Gondor to keep an eyes on the appearance of the new threat. watching Saruman succumb. Watching the march of Ents...

or other things like helping elven migration, defeating bandits...

You can do it, but just give up on one single factor, you are not the Major Characters. That's it.

About the best made is the old LOTR mod for Mount and Blade. Not the newer, more active one that borrows from the movies, but the more subdued, grounded one: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-last-days

It's pretty much exactly what you describe with different mechanics for different racial factions (Elves are powerful, but you can't recruit them, only get assigned small bands and as an Elf you can't really recruit Men so you're always busy keeping casualties to a minumum).

Beastro

Arcane
We need more 'real world' rpgs, urban fantasy where the magic is not known by the rest of society and you have to hide your actions from the cops and authorities, that would be awesome.

Mix it with the Medieval world where people were hunted down and killed for that very reason. Would be neat to not only force you to hide your witch ways but also have the story show why people would rightfully fear them.

The closest game that comes to that is Darklands where witches are malevolent, evil , it's your duty to slaughter whole villages of them and there's not a single pause made over if they're just misunderstood or other crap that modern games shove in.

laclongquan

Arcane
Also , one period of note is the post War of the Ring. It seems there's some contradiction about this period, so you can have some room to create around here. Rebuild the world after a Great War can be a nice theme.

Beastro

Arcane
Also , one period of note is the post War of the Ring. It seems there's some contradiction about this period, so you can have some room to create around here. Rebuild the world after a Great War can be a nice theme.

Tolkien's plans for a post-war novel were centered around a Cult of Sauron, IIRC.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh you could make RPGs aplenty in the Arnor division or Gondor Civil war eras... Heck there was entire system called MERP based around those turbulent ages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-earth_Role_Playing

Can't say how it played but lore and setting books were interesting and you could make all kind of Chars from Cleve like Titanium bonned 7 feet tall Dunedains of pure Thal Numenorian blood, thru Arab like Haradians to Hobbits.

Varg Vikernes loves MERP so it has to be good.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I would really like to see an underwater adventure setting, kinda like a mix between Warlords of Atlantis movie and Deep Wars tabletop game:

Warlords-of-Atlantis.jpg

14122709272915263612826115.jpg

14122912250615263612830772.jpg

attachment.php

photo-original.jpg

Deep-Wars-Dark-Mariner-Greens.jpg

shadowsea_underlands_by_carpet_crawler-d5kft20.jpg

battle_scene_sm.jpg

forest1-color.jpg

Telengard

Arcane
Some crazy mother fucker should just port over Blue Planet, let people also be dolphins and killer whales, and so allow the oddity of the fringe pnp to finally leak over into crpg.
https://philgamer.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/blue-planet-players-guide-revised-first-impressions/
Blue Planet Player’s Guide Revised, First Impressions
Posted: August 29, 2012 by pointyman2000 in Articles, Blue Planet, First Impressions, Roleplaying Games

Stop! Or my orca will shoot!

Blue Planet is one of those games that presents a unique and intriguing setting that is a goldmine for stories. Having returned to active circulation in print and PDF format from FASA, Blue Planet is a sci-fi roleplaying game that takes place in an alien waterworld known as Posiedon.

Posiedon is a new frontier for mankind, who has long ago reduced Earth to a wasteland of pollution and urban decay. The discovery of a habitable planet of unspoiled natural resources was a siren song for many, resulting in an exodus of people seeking second chances, or corporations hoping to get the spoils first.

But aside from the frontier angle, Blue Planet’s setting also presents a transhuman society, one where being human is just one choice among many. Among the options for player characters are Modis (modified humans) Genies (Genetically modified humans), Aquaforms (Diver and Squid types), Hybrids (Cat and Silva types), Spacers, Transhumans (also known as Alphas) and two forms of uplifted cetaceans in the form of Dolphins and Orcas.

Aside from the remarkably large spread of “racial” choices, Blue Planet cleaves towards the sandbox style of play and gives a host of professional backgrounds and archetypes to choose from, ranging from Rockstar (leading to Silver Countess’ idea of playing an underwater Lin Minmei with an Orca bodyguard) to mercenaries and commandos. Blue Planet can get pretty confusing if the GM doesn’t take the reins of a campaign and specify exactly what he wants to run. Otherwise you’ll end up with a mess in character creation where everyone is playing something possibly incompatible with everyone else in the team.

Blue Planet runs on what they call the Synergy System. The basics should be familiar to old hands at the game. For those unfamiliar with it, the player rolls a number of ten-sided dice equal to the character’s rank in an Aptitude, which can range from Average (1 die) to Superior (3 dice). These dice are then compared to a Target Number set by the character’s Skill + Attribute scores. Dice which roll under the Target Number are considered successful, and the highest rolling successful die is used to determine the Action Value of the roll. Should all the dice roll above the Target Number, then the Action Value is determined using the lowest scoring die, resulting in a negative Action Value.

Combat in Blue Planet is pretty crunchy. Closer to HERO crunchy than Exalted 2nd edition crunchy, which is a good thing in my book. I’ve yet to go over it all with the same scrutiny of a Let’s Study article, but it does look pretty beefy. Combat maneuvers, initiative that takes into account the delay of performing certain actions and check this: Psychological (social) combat. So yes, fast-talking Con-Dolphin trying to get an Orca to let him through into a corporate compound, Blue Planet has rules for that.

The Blue Planet Player’s Guide Revised also sports pretty much the entire contents of the 2nd edition’s book on technology. There’s a huge chunk of the book dedicated to the wonderful toys of Poseidon, including SASER weaponry (like Lasers, but with sonics!) and mini-torpedo launchers. There’s certainly a lot of technology in this setting and I feel just a little guilty about going over the tech chapter with the enthusiasm that I did.

Overall I’m pretty impressed with what I see so far in Blue Planet. For people like me who weren’t able to snag a copy of the 2nd edition, this is a great chance to get back into this interesting setting. My only hope is that they bring out the supplements soon. I hear First Colony was a great setting book, and as is the corebook does feel like it needs a little more beefing up in terms of what a city would be like in Poseidon.

Copper

Savant
BP's a good, relatively hard sci-fi/bio-punk game, that's for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom