Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, am I missing something? I followed the road down on the first outside area, but I can't leave the area there. My characters are too hurt to go on exploring though. Holy shit this game is hard.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So, am I missing something? I followed the road down on the first outside area, but I can't leave the area there. My characters are too hurt to go on exploring though. Holy shit this game is hard.
Any character with Int+Occ = 21+ can cast all tier 1 spells, you don't need to put points into them except to make them better. So all characters being too hurt does not work when Vilhelm can heal them all.

Leaving first area is a bug introduced with patch to v3. Update the game to v4.

This game will needs lots of polishing and bug fixing before it is really ready but do support them now, I am sure two devs will make the best of your support.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alright, downloading the patch now to get out of starting area.

I found the spells. Didn't read the manual so I'm discovering shit by trying it out. I'm having fun.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Just completed the mega short demo. So I decided to go rampage in the temple (?), which actually went surprisingly well. That dumb-ass store keeper sure got his money's worth:cool:

The pointy-hatted mage-type was too much for me though :oops:

The game seems to be awesome. Like really, really good!

aratuk

Cipher
Yikes, even compared to other indie RPGs the day one concurrent players for this thing is bad. Looks like pixel art is a pretty big deterrent when it comes to wrpgs (Pierre Begue could have told them all about it).

n.b., for backers who didn't specify a platform, Whalenought defaulted to sending a GOG key, not Steam. And the release-day discount was exclusive to GOG, so that the game was more expensive on Steam. So, Whalenought decided to leverage GOG sales over Steam. Dunno whether or not that will prove to be a wise decision.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you're doing everything anyone says, now make one with half a dozen dancing girls. :D
three'll have to do...
gqe4fb8.gif
Dude, I'm in tears.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So first impressions:

Either i am missing some interactions or the starting hours feel pretty empty and lack pace. No quests? I did a bounty and killed a bunch of mortals in the wilderness. Walked through Corem and there is nothing to do. Some guild conflict is there, but for now nobody talks business. I guess with Nobility i could talk to guildsmen/councelor, but not noble enough.

Combat seems hard, because you take damage fast. But, as was already pointed out, 1 point in Int or Occult grants almost a godmode). Never used anything else, except healing beam. Because there is no point, kinda. Hope this will change.
One of the issues from PoE is also here - send your high AC tank with a healing beam on first and grab a drink.

I like character system and the concept of combat, but so far it does not result in good gameplay for me. The introduction is intriguing and promising, but then you (slowly) walk maze like (i.e. with backtracking) wilderness/village and kill stuff. Loading times are veeery annoying (20-30 seconds) - if combat starts to be more deadly, the game will be unplayable.

MTwolves

Educated
It's a weird windows/full screen issue, it seems like. Try alt+enter.
It worked for me.

18267948205_e38fc0f3da_b.jpg

Anyone else get this while booting up the game? After patching it the first time this is all I get when I try to reopen the game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm still very early in the game (the first area, p. much), and so far combat has been halfway over with before my Blood Omen "wizard" can cast Feverish Haze. It's also hard to gauge how well it's working. My Vestine "cleric" with Blood Cocoon comes in incredibly handy, though.

It's also slightly annoying that everyone begins nude, although it doesn't seem to matter, since goblins are easily killed. I almost have a full complement of kitchen knives, now!

How the fuck did anyone die to the first goblin group?

MTwolves

Educated
I wonder why the loading times are so long. I wonder if that's fixable in the future.
Is SITS a Unity engine game?
I had the same issue with POE. Really long loading times.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I noticed that, too. I might need to move the game to my SSD. I'd thought that it would be fine on the platter drive, given what a low-tech game SitS is.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
my two magic-users had to polymorph into cats to enter a cave, were attacked by a possessed child and found a creepy journal, great stuff

just started the game, but the healing spell indeed feels incredibly overpowered compared to other spells, which take forever to cast and rarely do anything when they are finally up and going.

MTwolves

Educated
The inner snob in me thinks that SITS is probably better off with GOG than Steam.

Let me make some gross, misinformed generalizations.
The GOG RPG gamers seem to know more about RPGs than Steam. Like, they actually know what Darklands is.
The Steam RPG gamers are Skyrim fanboys.

Yikes, even compared to other indie RPGs the day one concurrent players for this thing is bad. Looks like pixel art is a pretty big deterrent when it comes to wrpgs (Pierre Begue could have told them all about it).

n.b., for backers who didn't specify a platform, Whalenought defaulted to sending a GOG key, not Steam. And the release-day discount was exclusive to GOG, so that the game was more expensive on Steam. So, Whalenought decided to leverage GOG sales over Steam. Dunno whether or not that will prove to be a wise decision.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One Harvester? No problem!

One Harvester flees and pulls in three healthy ones? SLIGHT PROBLEM!

Also, uhm... Some things make sense once you travel further, though I'm doubtful whether knowing them would make the encounters any different (dialogue wise). I still vote for killing everyone.

Ninjerk

Arcane
One Harvester? No problem!

One Harvester flees and pulls in three healthy ones? SLIGHT PROBLEM!

Also, uhm... Some things make sense once you travel further, though I'm doubtful whether knowing them would make the encounters any different (dialogue wise). I still vote for killing everyone.
What level were you when you fought the harvester? I can't puncture it's armor :(

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Either i am missing some interactions or the starting hours feel pretty empty and lack pace. No quests? I did a bounty and killed a bunch of mortals in the wilderness. Walked through Corem and there is nothing to do. Some guild conflict is there, but for now nobody talks business. I guess with Nobility i could talk to guildsmen/councelor, but not noble enough.
I haven't played it yet, but to me that sounds strangely fantastic. For once, a town that doesn't have people flagging you down on every street corner telling you their life story and asking for you to take an active hand in all their personal issues.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Even on an SSD, SitS still takes 15-20 seconds to load. Better than 30-40, though. :lol:

Unusually long loading times are usually pretty easy to fix, once developers get around to it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've now run into several different little areas that contain random groups of wolves/foxes/lizards in the first wilderness map, and cannot win in combat against them. I'll set Blood Cocoon on the lead guy before combat begins, cast a Radiant Stave, provoke the enemies, and then direct everyone who's free to focus on one enemy at a time. Enemies chew right through the "tank" in moments despite Blood Cocoon and Radiant Stave, and then the rest of the party goes down, too.

Am I missing something? Am I supposed to spam those Healing Herb things at this point? I've also tried moving in another direction and avoiding areas that seem to contain these groups, thinking I'll level up a bit or find more equipment, but every direction seems to have one such group.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's an effective way to deal AoE damage, other than the nerd guy's explosive potions? I couldn't defeat the goblin king with my lvl 3 party, the goblin horde just tramples over me.

da_rays

Augur
I've now run into several different little areas that contain random groups of wolves/foxes/lizards in the first wilderness map, and cannot win in combat against them. I'll set Blood Cocoon on the lead guy before combat begins, cast a Radiant Stave, and direct everyone who's free to focus on one enemy at a time. Enemies chew right through the "tank" in moments despite Blood Cocoon and Radiant Stave, and then the rest of the party goes down, too.

Am I missing something? Am I supposed to spam those Healing Herb things at this point? I've also tried moving in another direction and avoiding areas that seem to contain these groups, thinking I'll level up a bit or find more equipment, but every direction seems to have one such group.

Got yourself some bows or crossbows? having 1 or 2 free hit before hitting melee can really help, Fearfu light also help when facing bigger group

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've now run into several different little areas that contain random groups of wolves/foxes/lizards in the first wilderness map, and cannot win in combat against them. I'll set Blood Cocoon on the lead guy before combat begins, cast a Radiant Stave, provoke the enemies, and then direct everyone who's free to focus on one enemy at a time. Enemies chew right through the "tank" in moments despite Blood Cocoon and Radiant Stave, and then the rest of the party goes down, too.

I find that the healing beam is ineffective against large swarms of enemies. It is more important to deal damage quickly to whittle down their numbers; consider using traps and some other spells. Once there are fewer opponents, then go for the healing beams.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I guess your fear of boring easy combat is now lifted :D
You have access to all lvl 1 spells, find some that work. Also you can set traps and other Aptitude skills are useful if you have needed items.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom