Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sega accidentally leaks meeting with SCEA; slags off AP

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
hiver said:
Its probably the lack of customization for main character he was referring to.
Not enough hairstyles, not enough boobies.

Exactly. You can't play a woman, but in Mass Effect you can. Thus, ME is more of an RPG.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Jasede said:
Fuck you MC, I am kind-of looking forward to AP. Aliens was a good movie and if it's an action game with stats like SS 2 or DX, well fuck yeah.

Gotta say though, red aliens, green aliens and purple aliens are a bit dumb... but you gotta have variety. Not sure what to think.

Uuuuuh... you know that AP is *not* the Aliens RPG, because that one got cancelled... right?

Or is my sarcasm-o-meter broken again.

Seriously, was anyone here, or elsewhere, looking forward to AP as a ROLE-PLAYING GAME? Anyone who was interested in it was so because they were hoping that it was going to be decent game in the style of Deus Ex or System Shock 2 (games that were basically shooters with a few rpg elements, and in Deus Ex's case a broad-but-shallow C+C, where there was lots of consequences but none of them any more substantial than some flavour text, auto-killing someone you'd kill anyway, or changing the skin on the character delivering a few lines of dialogue).

Personally, I'd rather it doesn't feel like an rpg, but (like Deus Ex) feels like a shooter, except with good stealth options and character builds. My main concern is that (a) I'm really not confident that you could make that kind of game work well from an over-the-shoulder perspective, and (b) I'm not confident on a studio that hasn't touched that area before doing a decent job in enemy AI, or just making the combat/stealth/sniping fun and satisfying.

The previews haven't helped in that regard, but the 'doesn't feel like an rpg' doesn't tell me anything more relevant than the various folk criticising it for not having the C+C of a freeroaming RPG. That's as important to this game as the option to side with the Many against Shodan, rescue the ship's captian and choosing not to kill the many's eggs was in SS2, and that all those non-combat options for dealing with/recruiting/negotiating with Gunther in Deus EX meant to those games.

Azrael the cat said:
Seriously, was anyone here, or elsewhere, looking forward to AP as a ROLE-PLAYING GAME? Anyone who was interested in it was so because they were hoping that it was going to be decent game in the style of Deus Ex or System Shock 2

More like Riddick for me.

Lurkar

Scholar
Hating AP and praising the new Sonic games in the same breath? That's practically a glowing positive review as far as I'm concerned.

Thrasher

Erudite
One thing you can count on from Obsidian, it will be a buggy mess.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRODAWGS AP IS A SHIT GAME ANYONE WHO HAS PLAYED IT HATES IT

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom