Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seeking information to get 2 games: Mission Critical, RAMA

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I am discovering a lot of very interesting adventures from the late nineties (Last Express, Spycraft, Blade Runner, ..), and looking in particular for these two:

Mission Critical (Legend 1995), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1LExrbHLHk

RAMA (Sierra, Arthur C.Clarke, 1996) http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/ ... t-2/329568

All my attempts to buy / download them somewhere have have been fruitless so far, or leading me into into the borderland.

Maybe somebody knows a (trusted) abandonware site where they can be downloaded, or a shop that sells them? At least one of the games (Mission Critical) seems to be available at http://www.oldgames.sk But I am not sure what to make of it. Considering that they require payment for the download, practically selling the game, and want my credit card information, can they be trusted?

I am grateful for any help.

Longshanks

Augur
Seeing as these games are both definitely abandoned, I guess it's safe to post links:

Mission Critical free download: http://www.classic-pc-games.com/pc/adventure/mission_critical.html
Also a fix that's only available from a pay site ($5.95). I can upload it for you if you want, only 35mB. Just let me know.

Rama's a bit tougher, and much bigger (1.7G to 75mB). I torrented it fairly recently, but looking at TPB (which does have it), don't think you'll have much luck - 0 seeds.
Purchasing from ebay may be the best option.

Went searching for some quality sci-fi games myself a few months ago. Downloaded these, and bought The Dig. Couldn't get MC working when I tried it briefly back then. Tried it again after reading your post, and got it working without difficulty. So, thanks.

You mention The Last Express... have you actually played it yet? If not, fuck these games and play it first. One of the best games I've played.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Trying to play rama without videos would be a exercise in masochism.

Actually, trying to play Rama at all (at least ending it IS an exercise of masochism)

Fucking base 16 puzzles. Fucking inventory puzzles. Fucking last section with a lot of puzzles while the station is going to blow and it's FUCKING HUGE and you don't know WHERE TO GO puzzles.

Actually it's pretty good. Not LP material though.

Burning Bridges

This is why I love the codex. I post a question about some obscure, 14 year old games I didn't even know until a couple of days ago, and people provide me with the information!!

ghostdog said:
http://www.underground-gamer.com/ is your best source for older games. It has both.

thanks, this seems to be exactly what I am looking for ..

Longshanks said:
Seeing as these games are both definitely abandoned, I guess it's safe to post links:

Mission Critical free download: http://www.classic-pc-games.com/pc/adventure/mission_critical.html

Also a fix that's only available from a pay site ($5.95). I can upload it for you if you want, only 35mB. Just let me know.

Unfortunately that doesnt work. When I click download I get:

Mission Critical
Sorry, no download available due to the following reason:
Downloads of DOS and Amiga Games are not available.
You can download Commodore C64 Games.

and as to the 35MB fix, I think it's also available for free from hotud.org http://www.hotud.org/component/content/ ... ture/20420
(mcritical-fix.zip)

Longshanks said:
Went searching for some quality sci-fi games myself a few months ago. Downloaded these, and bought The Dig. Couldn't get MC working when I tried it briefly back then. Tried it again after reading your post, and got it working without difficulty. So, thanks.

you're welcome :lol:

Longshanks said:
You mention The Last Express... have you actually played it yet? If not, fuck these games and play it first. One of the best games I've played.

I am extremely impressed by Last Express. I think I'll give it to friends and see what happens.

Hory

Erudite
I got Mission Critical through eMule earlier this year. It's a slow download since there aren't many "sources", but looks like it's one of the only options. MC has a nice atmosphere and reasonable puzzles. Wonder if RAMA is worth it (I've yet to play a FMV game that I like).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
GarfunkeL said:
Pablosdog said:
read the rama book series...seriously.

Yup, they are pretty good mind-warpers.

The first 2 are excellent novels. And quite different. The first one focuses on exploration and discovering the secrets of the ship and the second focuses more on characters, intrigue, political/spiritual matters. The rest... well, I believe Clark should not have made any more sequels.

Burning Bridges

The original novel was certainly the major reasons I want to play the game. But as to the sequels, I did some extract reading at amazon and thought they were really bad, never bought them. I don't even think Clarke had anything to do with them, just gave his name for money. Besides, every other novel by Clarke I have read (Fall of Moondust, Deep Range, Hammer of God) was also boring as hell.

From SCOs description I think I lost interest in the game, the kind of puzzles and gameplay is certainly not for me.

But Mission Critical is another thing, that kind of hard sf subject matter with easier puzzles could be very interesting.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
My father bought RAMA when it was released or thereabouts. All I can remember of it was being chewed up by some metallic worm or other after exploring a little, and then getting chewed out by Arthur C. Clarke in a FMV-sequence for behaving stupidly. I still have the discs around, maybe it's time for another go at it...

Zyrxil

Scholar
SCO said:
Fucking base 16 puzzles. Fucking inventory puzzles. Fucking last section with a lot of puzzles while the station is going to blow and it's FUCKING HUGE and you don't know WHERE TO GO puzzles.
Goddamn that is hardcore.

Black Cat

Magister
@ GlobalExplorer

Rama is very, very hardcore. It is, like, more hardcore than Mysterious Journey. And it is more hardcore than Obsidian. And, well, like, you surely get it, nya. If you are like me, a funny and cute and lovable neko in the i never use walkthroughs no matter how hard or unfair a game is camp you will want to cry, and will get angry, and will rage, and get frustrated, and stuff and thingies. And will need years to clear it, if at all.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Actually, the game (removed from inventory) came with a book of the series inside. I think it was the ... 3º or 4º.

A very agreeable surprize.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
:necro:

Arise, thread! I recently remembered that I've never played Mission Critical and the only good thing a Google search turns up is a link to the Codex. (What's new, amirite?). Rama I have finished and still have the removed from inventory version somewhere on DVD's, but I'm really looking for Mission Critical if anyone knows where to get it. All of the links in this thread are long dead of course, apart from the one mentioned in post #3, which looks to be just a chain spamming service, forcing you to sign up for all kinds of crap.

Plz halp, Codex.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am discovering a lot of very interesting adventures from the late nineties (Last Express, Spycraft, Blade Runner, ..), and looking in particular for these two:

Mission Critical (Legend 1995), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1LExrbHLHk

RAMA (Sierra, Arthur C.Clarke, 1996) http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/ ... t-2/329568

All my attempts to buy / download them somewhere have have been fruitless so far, or leading me into into the borderland.

Maybe somebody knows a (trusted) abandonware site where they can be downloaded, or a shop that sells them? At least one of the games (Mission Critical) seems to be available at http://www.oldgames.sk But I am not sure what to make of it. Considering that they require payment for the download, practically selling the game, and want my credit card information, can they be trusted?

I am grateful for any help.
I still have my original RAMA CDs in a box somewhere, which I will sell to you for... 1 MILLION DOLLARS :eek:.

Also, I may know a good abandonware site where you can download literally any adventure game ever made no matter how obscure, but I gather than outright discussions of such things are frowned upon around here.

I also very much agree that Legend games should be sold on GOG, but I think the problem is that nobody actually knows who holds the rights to them anymore after how many times they were passed around.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

Arise, thread! I recently remembered that I've never played Mission Critical and the only good thing a Google search turns up is a link to the Codex. (What's new, amirite?). Rama I have finished and still have the removed from inventory version somewhere on DVD's, but I'm really looking for Mission Critical if anyone knows where to get it. All of the links in this thread are long dead of course, apart from the one mentioned in post #3, which looks to be just a chain spamming service, forcing you to sign up for all kinds of crap.

Plz halp, Codex.

Really dude the fifth result from google is the PB link with 3 seeders. Lazy much ?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Ok, so I got and played Mission Critical.

I am impressed. One of the best adventures ever. No bullshit. The combat minigames are utter unplayable shit but can luckily be set to auto. But DAT ATMOSPHERE. The later parts of the game are weird as fuck, and

both endings are pretty terrible for humanity. But that's part of the charm, I guess. Choice and consequence, both of them awful.

Boleskine

Arcane
I hope Mission Critical and the rest of the Legend adventures can be released on GOG.com in the future!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom