Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sea of Thieves

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Even mainstream game sites said that there are basically only 3 different quest which you have to repeat ad nauseam and while the sea and the islands are gorgeous, who can't do and discover much.
Also all gear is apparently just cosmetically - you don't get stat increases or different effects. If that's true, I wonder what would be the player motivation.

Good gameplay.

I don't know whether Sea of Thieves offers that or not, since I'm not interested in the slightest (multiplayer, shit graphics, Pirates), but there are plenty of "simple" games which are just fun because of the satisfying gameplay they offer.

Watched a friend of mine stream the game on Twitch.
Gameplay is meh.

mbv123

Arbiter
So they released a multiplayer MMO with 3 variety of fetch quests and an empty map to explore with literally nothing to see?
Nice

Grubba

Arcane
Did these devs make a bunch of grandiose promises leading up to release? If not then the comparisons to NMS are a bit unfair. I mean...you can actually encounter other players in this game.

I've watched people play on Twitch this past week and the game looks kinda cool but they better have a steady injection of new content or else this thing is gonna sink fast. I can see the potential though. Still lame that companies can get away with charging $60 for a barebones framework

Starwars

Arcane
I tried this a bit yesterday. Played a couple of hours with two friends at another friend's house.

Windows 10 only baby!

Anyway, what a missed opportunity. To be honest we had a shitton of fun, it's a great co-op, just have fun dicking around a bit type of game. Managing a ship together is fun, and there's stupid shit like getting drunk on grog and playing instruments which make the whole pirate thing come alive.
Unfortunately, you can tell even from a few hours that the content is paper thin, it's gonna get old extremely quickly. Glad I haven't spent money on it myself (well, if I did have Win 10).

It's a shame because the idea is great, and the game looks fucking gorgeous. Heading into a storm was some of the coolest shit I've seen visually speaking in quite a while, the weather system and atmosphere is great. If it had proper gameplay and things to do it would be a really cool game.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Turns out it really doesn't have any content. Good thing it's relatively easy to tape on extra content to the game, really hope they'll try to recover it because there's a major lack of pirate games.

wyes gull

Savant
Fuck this with a 2x4, just give me a new Pirates!. What the hell are you doing with your time, Sid? Enough Civ already.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In their aim to eliminate toxicity from their game, Rare removed every bit of communication, personal interests and progression from the game. What remains is a game so devoid of content and so devoid of fun that griefing is the only fun you can have with it.

Give us dedicated servers. Give us powertripping badmins. Give us circlejerking moderators. Give us the ability to moderate for ourselves. Just do not centralize all servers for a matchmaking system and enforce your anti-toxicity measures from the top up. No matter how much player-run servers end up being ran like Stanford, eventually you'll stumble upon a server you like.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why are people surprised??? Can't people read between the lines of marketing? It was obvious that the game will be bare bones and empty years ago.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Game popped up 3 times recently and once in that CP2077 video explaining CDPR bad management. So, this game is multiplayer but not MMORPG? You can't play this game solo OFFLINE? Go figure. Another pirate game I won't collect.

Ternius

Barely Literate
I feel like the actual developers of this game are great at what they do, but the game designers are utterly retarded.

The sea looks gorgeous and so do the storms and such. Sailing also feels good and it's generally fun to fuck around the ship with your crew. Battles between ships are really good and you have varieties of cannonballs at your disposal. The PvE content, however, is horribly dull and repetitive. Imagine doing WoW fetch quests, but all you can buy and get are cosmetics. There is no progression in this game. All you can progress for are cosmetics. Sure, you can grind reputation with factions but what is the point besides unlocking new cosmetics? None.

The devs have embraced some sort of a Frankfurt school for game development, apparently, because there is no skill system, no new equipment to acquire, or literally anything else that would change the way you play in some way. Veteran players having better equipment or skills would be incredibly racist and unfair towards the newbies, so the devs decided the game does not need any sense of progression. On top of that, the game is session based, which means you always play with a fresh ship on a server with maybe 5 other ships. You can't even stockpile food or ammunition for your next session, because it gets deleted when you log off.

These strange design choices made the game dull when it could have been great. All they managed to add in 4 years since launch are new fetch quests. They are supposedly adding "new ways to play and progress" in June. I am curious what new fetch quests they come up with this time.

The community of this game is incredibly clingy and defensive. It's not about grinding for something, it's about the journey - at least that's what they claim. Remember this the next time you play a game that doesn't offer anything new besides the first hour of gameplay - it was about the journey to the non-existent content, my dudes.

This game would have been great if they added RPG elements, alas that would be too evil, making the players unequal.

Ternius

Barely Literate
Forgot to add that the devs are so clueless that they focus much of the updates on the "storyline" quests as if anybody cared about story in this game. They also stopped mentioning PvP in recent trailers as if it wasn't even a feature. The retarded design choices caused the game's community to form around fetch quests and the "story". Large portion of the playerbase literally hates PvP players. Let me tell you, SoT is a frankenstein of a game. I do like to sink other ships with my friends, but unless you really like the ship PvP mechanics, the game is simply not worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom