Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ScummVM 2.1.0 released

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The support for RetroArch shaders is a nice addition. *However*, they've added support only for the GLSL stuff, which was deprecated like 5 years ago... Most new shader development is concentrated around the forward-looking SLANG format that can be cross-compiled to any backend *at runtime (!)* (OpenGL, DX 10/11/12, Vulkan, etc.)

Better than nothing, but they've painted themselves into a corner with that decision (admittedly, it was the easiest route... but not the best).

v1rus

Arcane
Was anyone able to get ScummVM to recognize newly supported games (Obsidian and Eastern Mind in my case)? I tried adding multiple versions of the games, with different methods, and none seem to work. Never had this problem with ScummVM, and I must have like 50 titles in my library.

On a side note - gee, what shader do you guys think would work best for most of ScummVM library?

Was anyone able to get ScummVM to recognize newly supported games (Obsidian and Eastern Mind in my case)? I tried adding multiple versions of the games, with different methods, and none seem to work. Never had this problem with ScummVM, and I must have like 50 titles in my library.

On a side note - gee, what shader do you guys think would work best for most of ScummVM library?
Great news regarding shaders. Even if it's not optimal to support just the deprecated GLSL path, it's still light years better than what was available previously. I haven't tried them yet, but I would probably use a modified version of CRT-Guest (the most recent is CRT-Guest_Advanced, but I think it's only available in .slang, so I'll probably have to use the older CRT-Guest-DrVenom) with a visible aperture grille mask to mimic the Trinitron tube monitor I used back in the day.

Obsidian has been working fine here ever since they added support for it a few SVNs ago. What version of the game are you trying? I used the original, 5-disc release. I'm not aware of any re-releases.
Make sure you've copied all of these files:
  • Obsidian.exe
  • Obsidian.c95
  • RSGKit.r95
  • MCURSORS.C95
  • Obsidian Data 1.MPL
  • Obsidian Data 2.MPX
  • Obsidian Data 3.MPX
  • Obsidian Data 4.MPX
  • Obsidian Data 5.MPX
  • Obsidian Data 6.MPX

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I haven't tried them yet, but I would probably use a modified version of CRT-Guest (the most recent is CRT-Guest_Advanced, but I think it's only available in .slang, so I'll probably have to use the older CRT-Guest-DrVenom) with a visible aperture grille mask to mimic the Trinitron tube monitor I used back in the day.
These are my favourites too, I love Guest's work, and he's a very nice guy. I'm using the original DX-only incarnation of Guest-DrVenom in WinUAE as my standard shader.

v1rus

Arcane

Obsidian has been working fine here ever since they added support for it a few SVNs ago. What version of the game are you trying? I used the original, 5-disc release. I'm not aware of any re-releases.

Tyvm. I copied the files from the disk, just like yesterday, except this time... It worked. Either my PC went full retard, or I seriously need to take a break.

Launched the game for a bit. Had no idea its full FMV. Seems real curious.

Tyvm. I copied the files from the disk, just like yesterday, except this time... It worked. Either my PC went full retard, or I seriously need to take a break.

Launched the game for a bit. Had no idea its full FMV. Seems real curious.
I love it, played it on release. Puzzles are really great. It's one of my favourite first person adventure games.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Dunno if you got Eastern Mind working yet or not, but with Macintosh titles you need to follow these instructions. Haven't tried it with Eastern Mind yet, but with another game, Refixion, one that isn't officially supported yet, it mostly works well. (and the failures that are there I mostly attribute to a terrible rip of the game disc, one of the music tracks is missing from the only rip online and good luck finding another copy)

v1rus

Arcane

Dunno if you got Eastern Mind working yet or not, but with Macintosh titles you need to follow these instructions. Haven't tried it with Eastern Mind yet, but with another game, Refixion, one that isn't officially supported yet, it mostly works well. (and the failures that are there I mostly attribute to a terrible rip of the game disc, one of the music tracks is missing from the only rip online and good luck finding another copy)

Tyvm! I got the windows version to run. Really dont know why, or what was the problem with both Eastern Mind and Obsidian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom