Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
A classic!
Strangely enough, I find myself rather drawn towards those massive arena like Doom maps that introduce hordes and hordes of demons that you get to gleefully slaughter.
It's cathartic, a spiritual release of sorts...

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Didn't encounter any of the similar bullshit with Revenant/Archvile spam in Ancient Aliens by the way. I can see why people were gushing about this WAD in a Doom map threads a long time ago, the levels are really cleverly designed.
gzdoomUuf0I6XXSQ.png

The Nectar Flow is my least favourite level so far, mostly because it's too long and is somewhat slaughtery. It was still a lot more enjoyable experience compared to what i encountered in Godless Night.
I liked how the level starts almost like a stealth section and how near the end you get a great opportunity to trigger infighting between Mastermind and three Archviles.

Also, this Final Doomer mod that makes your weapons setting appropriate is really great too even if a tiny bit overpowered. Mod makes your starting pistol a lot more punchier, elite alien weapon and Illuminator also feel somewhat stronger compared to the original plasma gun and BFG.
If it's nothing too crazy in terms of balance when i don't mind but i heard that Japanese Community Project and Back to Saturn loadouts are really overpowered.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
F.E.A.R. isn't Monolith's best work, it came out after Half-Life after all, the era when shooters started to take a turn towards the cinematic at the expense of gameplay when they weren't just tech demos to sell you graphic cards, like Far Cry literally was before Jewbisoft got their grubby French hands on that IP. Despite the game design in general of that era being flawed Monolith did deliver one of the highlights of the period, despite what zoomers who speedran growing a brain would tell you, but who also think they know better than the greats of the past and mod in shitty weapon mods into old games like Unreal and Deus Ex. Every Doom troon modder suffer from the same brain damage, wrecking the carefully crafted weapon and enemy balance and design with meme bullshit and poorly made additions and changes until you got MooM Eternal.

The usual slurry-brain take you hear online about F.E.A.R. is that it's too easy, or that they heard the enemy AI was good and they're disappointed the clone soldiers you encounter in the game haven't achieved AGI yet and isn't solving math equations instead of flanking you. It's true that the game is easier than peak Monolith, but compared to the majority of shooters it's above average in how much the game demands of you, at least on the higher difficulties. If you'd take F.E.A.R. and remove the fancy graphics and turn up the difficulty to eleven you'd get Blood 2, and I don't see that many people who talk about how easy F.E.A.R. is singing the high praises of that.

What stands out about F.E.A.R. going back to it, beyond it being the cream of the crop of the post-HL2 period, is how absolutely crisp it is and how the lighting in the game gives just about any modern game a run for its money. Furthermore what quickly becomes apparent is just how fun it is to just shoot, and that's important in a spectacle shooter like this. It's like that thing Gaben was talking about.

The enemies reacting to what you're doing is just another part of what reinforces that sense of impact. This was also the last period in time before video games graphics totally shat the bed with convoluted ways to make the games demand ten times the hardware power to produce vastly inferior results until even mirrors in games became a rarity. The textures and lighting are crisp, there's a wonderful clean look to the game, and it's perfect for the chaos you're wrecking in the levels as your bullets and explosives toss things around, toss up dust, producing sparks when hitting metal. You might think that a game being carried to such a degree on visuals and effects would have aged poorly, but instead it is more akin to fine wine. The only thing that hasn't aged great is that we no longer consider tiny ghost girls scary but the scares falling flat doesn't prevent them from contributing to the ambience and mood of the game. It's in some ways a spiritual Blood 3 in ways of theming, whereas Blood was a shooter reflecting the horror landscape of the 90's, F.E.A.R. brings you the 00's The Ring era horror, for better or worse.

It's unfair to compare it to the golden period of shooters, the Build era was a faint memory and the great 90's edge fully 3D shooters in the vein of Quake and Quake 2 had been sent to an early grave by Half-Life, and Half-Life 2 had come out the year before. So what did F.E.A.R. compete with? In 2005 you might enjoy the console assfuck that was Project: Snowblind, a rebranded Deus Ex spinoff for the Xbox. Or how about Area-51, remember that classic? No? Maybe the Halo-killer Pariah? The Polish tour de force, Chrome SpecForce? Perhaps you miss Caleb and would go for Darkwatch on the Xbox or PS2? I had fun with it, but when you put F.E.A.R. next to
AOY6oqM.jpeg
it becomes apparent how fucking delusional the niggers shitting on it are.

It's not like all games of the period were irredeemable, but the only people making proper PC shooters were underfunded Slavs, and they weren't even free from the Gaylo curse. Croteam blessed us with Serious Sam II, the forbidden entry in the series, that year. Then you had id Software being a shell of its former self, producing tech demos like the System Shock 2 wannabe Doom 3 earlier, and now we got a Quake 4 trying to play catch-up with Half-Life 2. The only thing people remember about that game was an in-engine cutscene of you getting troonshumaned in first person POV. If you wanted something made for PC first that wasn't just a tech demo you'd be stuck with budget titles like Vivisector or ÜberSoldier, you could do worse as current indies have shown us, mind you, but the genre peak was over. F.E.A.R. was a bit of a last holdout, one of the last shooters made first and foremost for PC that kept the focus on the action, were tightly crafted and did the genre justice, and gave it a nice sendoff, just like Prey (2006) did years later. Consoles and overly cinematic and gimmicky shooters like Half-Life 1&2 dealt the first blows, then came a big focus on always online shit, lootboxes, crafting, open-world slop, and the rest of current trends that have kept the PC FPS singleplayer campaign in a deep grave, until indies tried to frankenstein something together to varying degrees of mostly failures but one or two success stories.

82UhkAx.jpeg

eSJbH2m.jpeg

KG4WF3U.jpeg

ZTSOgIV.jpeg

qY7HNLJ.jpeg

JRWCnSH.jpeg

TQYIRY0.jpeg

CiC78ZJ.jpeg

9rsJdp3.png

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wolf2202402101520119.jpg

Wolf2202402101703404.jpg

Wolf2202402101551581.jpg

Wolf2202402101800164.jpg

Wolf2202402101722223.jpg

Wolf2202402101757264.jpg

Wolf2202402101451290.jpg

Wolf2202402101741375.jpg

Wolf2202402111527079.jpg

Wolf2202402111820443.jpg

Wolf2202402111543010.jpg

Wolf2202402111440457.jpg

Wolf2202402111843002.jpg

Wolf2202402101835433.jpg

Wolf2202402111559349.jpg

Wolf2202402111826314.jpg

Wolf2202402121925146.jpg

Wolf2202402122033021.jpg

It's in some ways a spiritual Blood 3 in ways of theming, whereas Blood was a shooter reflecting the horror landscape of the 90's, F.E.A.R. brings you the 00's The Ring era horror, for better or worse.

Plus Condemned being heavily inspired by Se7en.

If you find some spare time I recommend this video about the A.I. used in F.E.A.R. The game needs to finished at least on hard difficulty to truly appreciate the fighting scenarios that were prepared for the player.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
gzdoomkCMKgV3AXC.png
gzdoomwnBblYxSzO.png
gzdoom1z8XbMLgyo.png

gzdoomtGoDpuoOjC.png

This one is finally complete. Ancient Aliens deserve all the praises it gets, soild WAD from start to finish.
Final Doomer arsenal for this WAD also proved to be not as overpowered as i thought at first. Illuminator might be more powerful and flashy but it can't fire continuously like the BFG can as it works on separate charges.
gzdoomSWZC17pQqZ.png
gzdoomUW6lIQ8KA2.png
gzdoom2HRjxSJJVq.png
gzdoomfiqnj4L6T7.png
gzdoomQyVQNeH5R3.png
gzdoomzsO0kCoJaD.png
gzdoomOZRq6gEyt4.png
gzdooms1Y42zPbTE.png
gzdoom8SC0xdslWC.png
gzdoomNAvNFYKIjP.png
gzdoomxFe0hnpFQp.png

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
gzdoomOr7SQb5gl0.png
gzdoomrexCEsz0aY.png

Also tried another gameplay mod, Combined Arms Gaiden. Same creator as GMOTA.
A somewhat NES themed weapons mod in which you can choose between two characters to play. Played as Telos(he has a cat) and completed a 5 maps long Lunatic WAD with him.
I was worried that this mod would be ridiculously overpowered at first but this worry proved to be unfounded. I would say it's only a tiny bit overpowered but i had a lot fun figuring out certain weapon gimmicks. I also greatly appreciate that the author adds the pistol start option to GZDoom settings.
The only bad thing i can say about this mod is that these weapons don't work with free mouselook turned off. Prefer turning it off for more classic WADs.
Lunatic is a pretty great level pack too with some new enemies to spice things up. Now i wish to find some other similarly good WAD that is thematically fitting for this mod.
gzdoomVK8tdhYNM0.png
gzdoom9UIhCjWM9T.png
gzdoomFQh5Ni0a3y.png
gzdoomVcbkpWU4co.png
gzdoomG0Nlp0nPd6.png

Another one that i tried is a Diabolus Ex. A Deus EX Human Revolution inspired level. Used Final Doomer with Back to Saturn's weapons pack.
gzdoomRVdk4Op0xb.png
gzdoomXshIcvVnYO.png
gzdoomxTwoEThPkj.png

A very fun and beautiful level even if it doesn't take too long to complete. True to it's inspiration you get plenty of altenative routes and stuff to explore here. Some ventilation shafts to crawl into too and you can even do some sneaking around.
Back to Saturn weapons pack on the other hand is really overpowered compared to the Ancient Aliens ones. Not sure if should be using it when i get to playing through Back to Saturn but i must admit that the supershotgun replacement is very satisfying to use.
gzdoomuryLzplKmZ.png
gzdoomnqL6u3J7Z7.png
gzdoomHaCI7iAmW2.png
gzdoomV5yMo8OUos.png

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
gzdoomkCMKgV3AXC.png
gzdoomwnBblYxSzO.png
gzdoom1z8XbMLgyo.png

gzdoomtGoDpuoOjC.png

This one is finally complete. Ancient Aliens deserve all the praises it gets, soild WAD from start to finish.
Final Doomer arsenal for this WAD also proved to be not as overpowered as i thought at first. Illuminator might be more powerful and flashy but it can't fire continuously like the BFG can as it works on separate charges.
gzdoomSWZC17pQqZ.png
gzdoomUW6lIQ8KA2.png
gzdoom2HRjxSJJVq.png
gzdoomfiqnj4L6T7.png
gzdoomQyVQNeH5R3.png
gzdoomzsO0kCoJaD.png
gzdoomOZRq6gEyt4.png
gzdooms1Y42zPbTE.png
gzdoom8SC0xdslWC.png
gzdoomNAvNFYKIjP.png
gzdoomxFe0hnpFQp.png
Some of the weapons are definitely inspired from Heretic.
Awesome Wad, one of the most visually stunning.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Playing a couple of different Doom mods/wads at the same time with some breaks.
Delta Doom together with Doom the Way id Did WAD for Doom 1. Someone said it "rocks the world" if played this way.
gzdoomAC2EktQ77F.png

The idea of this mod is that it implements ideas from the pre-release versions of Doom like different HUD, characters, certain item pick-up, weapons and enemies.
Feels very close to classic Doom especially with this WAD yet at the same time different in an interesting way.
gzdoomuasBM8Qsj0.png
gzdoomKEBGRcDSWU.png
gzdoom1zesqh4Ohr.png

Time Tripper
gzdoomK6DC9t33rk.png

Heard good things about this TC but i couldn't play it for long enough to form an opinion.
Something about visuals or lightning gives me a horrible eye strain. Will pass for now.
gzdoomSWVfpPXKTl.png
gzdoom9vw6g1WW4P.png
gzdoomh5eLOjSKQe.png

Japanese Community Project with a Final Doomer+ mod.
gzdoom6BFTFBmIiK.png

JPCP is made by a small and dwindling japanese doomer community(according to the description). Very well regarded or so i heard.
Liking the levels so far but the Final Doomer weapon set for this WAD is probably even more overpowered than Back to Saturn one. Your chaingun replacer has a slowing effect for god's sake!
No complaints about katana tho, it's fun.
gzdoomUmKKuLoFQP.png
gzdoom5wpGWLRihd.png

And for the last one it's the Combined Arms Gaiden again. I really like this mod despite not being into the whole NES nostalgia thing.
Trying the other character(Arti) using the Alfonzone megawad.
gzdoomnrOZuegwhP.png

Dev recommended this WAD as the go to one for this mod. Really does feel fitting.
WAD is made by Pinchy who i actually remember as the author of the 23rd map from Ancient Aliens. I didn't like that map very much, it was too long and wasn't as beautiful as many of the other AA maps despite having some interesting visuals.
Still, i am sucker for maps that try to emulate "lived in" locations like shopping streets or hotel rooms.
There is some bullshit sometimes like the last EP1 map spawning hitscanners behind you every time you make a slight progress. Making me sweat a bit but nothing i can't handle with this weapons set as long as i utilize all of my tools.
gzdoom7acs5cP5BH.png
gzdoomVxgTgUzp5a.png
gzdoomhenUSK9RYv.png
gzdoom5vHq8sJCyp.png
gzdoom7Iqbzylhcx.png
gzdoomN7yMYKakvR.png
gzdoomzWlJtfmfJ4.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom