Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Biggest difference between them is that Hellgate had the potential to be good, while Borderlands didn't.
Based on what? As I see, Borderlands is exactly what Hellgate tried to do, just with a silly setting, as opposed to grimdark demon stuff.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Didn't some Japanese company buy out Hellgate and still running it in Asia?

Raapys

Arcane
Biggest difference between them is that Hellgate had the potential to be good, while Borderlands didn't.
Based on what? As I see, Borderlands is exactly what Hellgate tried to do, just with a silly setting, as opposed to grimdark demon stuff.

Eh, been quite a while since I played Hellgate, so I'll make a reservation about that. Still, from what I recall HGL was kept from being a good game by the unfinished state it was in. Bugs, unfinished/nonexistant mechanics and areas/content. It could have been brewing for at least another year or two in development and might have ended up a very enjoyable title. And it had already nailed the atmosphere, a very important aspect in that type of game.

Meanwhile, Borderlands was (reasonably) polished and even received a sequel, but has yet to actually become a good game, let alone an atmospheric one.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And it had already nailed the atmosphere, a very important aspect in that type of game.
Seriously? You really don't recall much about the game... besides shooting stuff, all you do is this:

OcgLjb1.png

The game's failure has nothing to do with bugs. Hellgate: London is just a series of repetitive randomly generated corridors filled with mindless enemies, occasionally interrupted by one of these shitty hubs, that are just NPCs in a circle giving you boring quests. And all hubs look the fucking same, they are all subway stations. More even, gameplay is basically "hold trigger button & strafe", especially since there's no ammo! You never have to reload, manage resources or anything, just equip highest DPS weapon and hold trigger button. Not to mention how bad the gunplay feels, since weapons have no impact whatsoever, and all feel the same.

Borderlands took the exact same formula, but with open-world and real weight behind the weapons. But their real jackpot was the tone, as the humour & cartoony characters give some flavur to the MMO-ish quests. Hellgate starts the game by dropping you in a alley and asking you to follow a guy you don't care and save teh world. Borderlands gives you a talking robot making jokes and task you to repair a vehicle so you can derp around and run over stuff.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Retail version of the Hellgate:London got some nasty stuff, similiar spying feature like Origin.
You play that greenlighted version from Steam? Does it have that hidden feature too?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Finally, got around to actually play this game.
Emulation of DS version crashes and burns far too often. It even made me drop The Dark Spire for now, since it's either laggy, or unstable at best.
At least Ace Attorney series work pretty well, though Apollo Justice worked like shit from time to time for now reason.
c3W7zSd.png

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller. A Shitty DOS Adventure awaits.

pkHr8Ag.png

I'm unsure why the developers were so enamored with the year 2094. It's the same year they chose for BloodNet as well.

YhBfexn.png

Take 2 spent most of their money on the voice actors, and advertised them heavily. Dennis Hopper is listed first in the opening credits, yet he doesn't voice one of the protagonists.

Onto the opening cutscene:

pNzdpIM.png

Herr Floating-Unibrow-Head cries out spontaneously

rIvSCYx.png

He then grows a body and falls in a giant mouth.

116fpBc.png

:flamesaw:

wvXvrLQ.png

Traveling though the devil's Fallopian tubes.

glDSmzt.png

We then encounter one of Prosper's creations! :prosper:

zVcTFHf.png

ZBgjRJA.jpg
IT WAS ALL A DREAM!

EtUaT3s.png

The two protagonists (Rachel and Giddeon) get ambushed by a 'scrub' team, a government sanction assassin squad. The twist is that Rachel and Giddeon are...were... themselves cops in the cyberpolice force.

k4iKIn3.png

The scrub team is p. bad at killing.

8XWROPA.png

:hmmm:

xYqd9CP.png

Our brave heros escape certain death

U1sIESC.png

and moon-bounce to freedom. :salute:

We then get into the meat of the game: watching conversations.

ZC1e61e.png

with bad humor

6tGiHmR.png

and tired cyberpunk tropes

Which is not to say this game doesn't reek of the 90's. For example:

I7MKqFu.png

That text was almost certainly made in some old microsoft program which I can't remember the name of.

Solene Solux is insane:

HV0vHTM.png

And more generic sci-fi tropes:

Tnpsi7J.png

Will this get any better? I don't have my hopes up.

In other news, the game has a novelization.

71TQCa2aGFL.jpg

which is the best book ever written accordng to Chumy 011563:

I have had this book since the first month it came out in book stores. Since I have read it, I have not been able to read any other books because it is so good and action packed. I have always wished that a movie would be made of it. If anyone would like to e-mail me about the book (either if you have never read it or if you just want discuss it, feel free).

Last edited:

Cool name

Arcane
And it had already nailed the atmosphere, a very important aspect in that type of game.

What atmosphere Hellgate has is completely ruined if you know your demonology, as you are pretty much forced to play a bunch of elite demon hunters who never heard of the Lemegeton or, worse yet, a Kabalist who somehow managed to become a summoner or demons without learning the names of the Great Lords along the way.

'An elite demon hunter who meets a guy calling himself Murmur on a dark alley somewhere in a city overrun by demons and decides to trust him blindly' is how 'GIGANTIC IMBECILE' translates to Witchtongue.

More Pools.

k7tjnDi.png

baWlqH3.png

Ooh...a scary Marilith.

jghxfOU.png

Delayed Blast Fireballs mop up Kalistes' minions, or at least disrupt/prevent their spellcasting. This step is crucial, but I dislike how central it is to the fight and how pivotal random initiative rolls are to success. Even though my mages were protected by Globes of Invulnerability, it still helped to act first, if only so the party Cleric could actually cast a spell and set in motion the second phase of my tactics instead of being interrupted by mass Ice Storms.

BJy30Jw.png

edjyPyJ.png

And this is what the Cleric was doing, laying down a Blade Barrier, and then another one to impede the movement of Kalistes. The Marilith may not have much in the way of magical abilities, but she can easily shred a character in melee combat.

CrYJqTe.png

RcZ77u7.png

gCNxpfl.png

Once the Blade Barriers are in place, Kalistes easily falls to a hail of arrows. Somewhat anticlimactic given that she belongs to one of the most powerful species of demon, but I suppose there isn't really much that could be done to toughen her up without making the fight a slog or unfair. Heavily scripted encounters, a la the Infinity Engine games, simply aren't happening here and it would seem that SSI had to stick within the bounds of the Monster Manual when implementing creatures (many have exactly the same AC and their HP numbers are well within the listed hit dice).

Ah well, Kalistes can still take solace in knowing she isn't the most disappointing cRPG take on the Marilith...that dishonor belongs solely to Yxunomei.

M1cdK2z.png

XbDSm3h.png

eup4JOn.png

A challenger appears!

lgCnm8e.png

yYNq6Ja.png

Well, minus the "challenge"...I suppose that makes Tanetal's spy simply an "r". A couple well aimed Cones of Cold (hit tip to octavius) and the encounter is all but over.

a37j9j2.png

:dwarffist:

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
l713LYv.jpg

Meet our protagonist, his job is a tough one...

fMMSZXV.jpg

...even without this asshole coming to rustle his jimmies.

r2fM11q.jpg

ziDbPTD.jpg

TIFKflE.jpg

Three five year plans to get this crap on the right track? Halp, what do I do? I wonder what happens when I press the advice button.

CkCzeFa.jpg

Wise ghost of Lenin pops in and tells you how to fix this, cool.

The remainder of the screenshots are too embarrassing to post since I did make some really bad decisions and well... Next time I will take it more seriously and RTFM so that I might actually succeed. From what I've played so far the game is pretty neat. It's free, get it here if you want to give it a go, unzip into your program files folder or it wont run.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Greyhawk's Ghostbuster keep busting my party. Usually I manage to run away from them, though, after their mages have killed two of my slots.
Gotta hate these guys:

xiIAl4b.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom