Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Lemming42

Arcane
ao8DbGq.jpg

The agony of choice
this is actually pretty good though, dunno why I took so long getting around to playing it

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
m86ePav.jpg

The Stygian Abyss had environmental storytelling 16 years ahead of its time.

cAfSmlT.jpg

no1Xj4X.jpg

YSL55Rd.jpg

stzja85.jpg

98bSvqw.jpg

lxaYpIx.jpg
nUJEJ2R.jpg

DC60Goh.jpg

AoPTLLu.jpg

Throw my artifacts of power into the volcano, you say...

lmB9yLh.jpg

GZugIby.jpg

0OzBPJO.jpg

ERPpn0a.jpg

g5B6b5W.jpg

rKI7EVL.jpg

B5WgbEz.jpg

pVFpSIF.jpg

Erf2jot.jpg

x6sXoKZ.jpg

72jLGDm.jpg

In Memoriam, Origin & Looking Glass.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
RTK2: Steve at Work
Yuan Shao's fate is sealed when he lost his main granary stockpile...

main_026.png

Zhao Yue (Yun)'s army of 10,000 held back Yuan Shao's 40,000 till the defenders starved to submission.

main_028.png

The Northlands belong to Steve!
But a major movement has occurred in the Central Plains...

main_029.png

Lu Bu suffered a joint attack from the unlikeliest alliance of Liu and Cao.

main_030.png

And beat them both.

:lol: Time to attack Liu Bei!

xQCZ5Nk.jpg

dzwSOXv.jpg

mQIvmRI.jpg

I do love me some Dragon Quest... I must've rented Dragon Warrior 3 a dozen times when I was a kid hoping each time that no one had erased my save file. But it's really easy to outlevel content in JRPGs, making them unfun cakewalks.

So I'm making an effort not to overlevel. Not easy with DQ8's high encounter rate. All the same, I face the first major boss probably a little bit under the level curve.
tge3btQ.jpg

This guy is actually kind of a bastard and has three different attacks.
A flame breath attack that hits both of your characters for about 2/3rd of their life:
F6f5Qq2.jpg

A weaker tidal wave group attack
W9YVxgY.jpg

And single-target swings that hit pretty hard as well.
nxKtUEF.jpg

After getting wiped by the fire breath a few times. I invested some points in Asperger's, got out a notepad and mapped out the bosses AI pattern.

Every turn he alternates between single-target attacks and group attacks, with TPK'ing fire breath every 6th turn. It ends up looking like this:
Fire Breath > Single Target > Tidal Wave > Single Target > Tidal Wave > Single Target > Repeat

At this stage of the game, resources are pretty scarce. You have two characters, and Yangus *might* have a healing spell if you've specced into his humanity tree. Even after figuring out this guy's attack pattern, this is still a hard fight...
XthAXgC.jpg

...But the boss goes down...
eZNUQsI.jpg

...And we're rewarded with waifu
xxpdXm2.jpg

One thing I've always liked about this game is how fleshed out your party members are. You can talk to them at any point. There's a ton of dialogue that's dependent on where you are, what you're doing and what story event has just happened.
tK6DELr.jpg

QOOBwkg.jpg

5gFZB53.jpg

4Q6SBm7.jpg

engage in barfights
ThBjkIR.jpg

qbdMvT3.jpg

gEBoZ7m.jpg

0UpCyqe.jpg

:kfc:
aWw9cCZ.jpg

EpbJyyh.jpg

8TITCSi.jpg

qdRks0F.jpg

cLluM3p.jpg

Zz8XrE2.jpg

jauKk7Q.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom