Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

zwanzig_zwoelf

Just use the software renderer, it's not like you can improve the quality of FMVs.

%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B903_20150903_131144.bmp

In Rance 03 you can farm EXP by beating the game developers.

ASSplosion

Arcane
I remember seeing screenies of that in some magazine way back.
Any good?
Its a pretty bad game :)
Huge maze-ish levels with no map to see where you are.
Most levels had lots of doors, many of them locked and once you hit a switch to open door, you have no idea what door you just opened.
enemy variety is low, you'll be killing 4-5 different types of zombies most of the time
Soundtrack is good tho

catfood

AGAIN
9TICTEx.png

EDIT: Loved the game. Better than the previous ones. Levels were nice and varied and they also surprisingly featured some non-linearity as well. They're no Thief levels but still pretty decent. Also unlike the previous games the game does not shower you with ammo. Granted I missed a lot of secrets as can be seen, but at the end of the game I used up most of it. There's also far, far less medpacks. I remember in TR1 I had like ~70 at the end of the game lulz. The number of combat encounters is somewhere between TR1 and 2. Thank goodness they toned it down from the second game.

I also liked that it has a hidden difficulty setting. So that I don't spoil it for those who wish to play it: if you want to make the game easier do Nevada first, if you want a challenge do it last.

Best missions were Aldwych (friggin amazing atmosphere), Nevada, Coastal Village, Mabudu Gorge (except for that fucking kayak section, luckily it's over in like 10 mins if you know what you're doing), Antarctica (very nice The Thing vibe going on at some point) and of course The Lost City of Tinnos. This one is basically everything that made the original games good condensed into one single level. Lots of puzzles, lots of platforming, really good atmosphere and most importantly not too much combat either. There's a couple of stinkers though: High Security Compund? I don't thinks so guys. Also Lud's Gate would have been great had the axed that stupid mini-sub section. God, that was so annoying.

Can't wait to start the fourth game.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Shadow Tower: Abyss
7AD57156962D6543AE820AD5DDCF5BCD194B6908

A47762459C70D93DD8DD2516D1F76DC48A76FDC4

3FF819EF9931818179BBEBB8E4484D7DC81C4B38

2AD52862AD613AFD11D1BA5E8356AAB25581CF31

73198FD23F4CE8C346498BB6B49ADF08A32E1ED4

07565D594651D32EB6DB8F8AFAC6C74F6DE17C33

2D46F73E5F36760EEA559984B9CAC8E8C7E07FE1

F182DAB94FD3B6613E252FD8DC9A124EB5707EAB

A0463DAF3B774DC0977187CB6B57DF5F3DEA7B1B

BDF4AD227F0A69C267CEC88621278DDDFE08471C

0E85A44A70F098FC0DF952797B3644213C7A87C5
I think I'm pretty close to falling in love with this game. I just love how weird and utterly inhuman gameworld is.
Also, combat is remarkably fun and savage. Game has this cool dismemberment system that is both extremely fun (for example, cutting off both arms off those subhumans at the start and then watching how they literally try to bite ya to death) and useful, most of all due to weapons being as fragile as they were in the first game so that it is more than preferable to kill your opponents with as few strikes as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Instant brofist.
Shadow Tower: Abyss is love. Shadow Tower series in general = best harsh love ever.

spekkio

Arcane
catfood said:
Can't wait to start the fourth game.
Prepare yourself for a lot of brown. :roll:
IMO it's p. boring when compared to 1-3.
Some fags like it, though.

deuxhero

Arcane
Playing some Silent Storm. Tried to enter a building via the back windows to aid a guy I sent in the front to kill an enemy I knew was in the building, only to find unlike the front windows I can't open them from the outside, so I prepared to go around and do other stuff in the level with the people I sent, but heard a large group of enemy soldiers coming (I'm not sure they were after the people I sent. I think they may have been trying to get to the building I was defending and had the worst possible luck)

Thought I'd have to restart the mission, but remembered I gave everyone grenades and the two people I sent had automatic weapons.
smzqnccmez.jpg

Used a few turns of Eagle's after taking out most of the immediate attackers to have her run to the top of the building I was defending. She noticed some of our intelligence on the dead guy keeping watch and assumed position
wewkatrhgx.jpg

But before she can use her position my main character, Steel kills the targeted soldier, the only one still alive. This happened in the first mission too (I put her to cover my main character advancing further in, but it turns out everyone outside was dead when I decided to advance. Only Steel, the girlly named Kenko and Toki got use there, and Kenko just picked some locks and shot at one guy), I hope it doesn't become a trend.
None of my men have been injured yet (outside of Steel in the opening bank heist), so Dani hasn't been used yet. Thankfully Axis cannon fodder is there for her to practice on
zndrlcstbt.jpg

Also: Is there a hi-res patch for the game?

Machocruz

Arcane
This is news to me. I had always heard that 3 was the shit one and 4 was a brief return to form. Anyway, the old Tomb Raider games give more credence to Infinitron's dungeon design theory. Someone on the team was probably an avid PnP player or DM.

zwanzig_zwoelf

True Lewd.
Also known as "Better Learn-by-Doing System Than In Any Bethesda Game And It's A Fucking Visual Novel".

TyqeZ1Q.png
qXqm40W.png
iHBuVeQ.png
sZiMJLn.png
2gwjU54.png
NuUjCl8.png
seMjlvs.png
zQgczU1.png
CgWHP6O.png
GOAtxEu.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wasn't sure who was the single one gay person here who actually liked TR4. I was like... "Was it Jarl? Nah, let's not fly accusations around"... :roll:

Sorry bro, but TR4 has some of the best level design of the series, and those who claim it has "no variation" due to being set entirely in Egypt are wrong because it has variation. Each area has its own atmosphere, and it goes through different eras of Egyptian history. You have the classic Egyptian style at the first few stages, then in Alexandria you have the hellenistic library which is more Greek in style than classic Egyptian, you have a small section where you're attacked by undead crusaders, the apocalyptic modern Cairo with islamic mosques to explore, the apocalyptic step-pyramids at the end. Some of the levels have great puzzles, and the level design is overall very solid, only the first TR has levels I consider equal to the best of TR4.

This is news to me. I had always heard that 3 was the shit one and 4 was a brief return to form. Anyway, the old Tomb Raider games give more credence to Infinitron's dungeon design theory. Someone on the team was probably an avid PnP player or DM.

What's his theory about? Infinitron link pls (or explain).

Machocruz

Arcane
What's his theory about? Infinitron link pls (or explain).

He specifically cited DOOM and how it was basically a dungeon crawler without the stats and other RPG elements. The game was designed by people who played tabletop RPGs and their experience carried over into the game. By extension it applies to the games DOOM influenced with its labyrinthine maps, traps, puzzles, hidden doors/rooms. And in my opinion it carries over into Tomb Raider 1-4. The level design and ambiance are big reasons why I still love the feel of those games, and reasons the reboot is an abomination that lacks flavor and imagination. It's like no one knows how to do interior spaces well anymore. I play Hexen every year and it's Frank Lloyd Wright meets M.C. Escher level shit compared to games today. There were geniuses at work back in those days.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I find that some of the best "dungeons" I've played come from first/third person action games of the early to mid 90s. Tomb Raider and Thief are two great examples. Currently playing Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 for the first time, and I don't even notice how ages the graphics are because the level design is so damn awesome. Can't remember the last time I went through levels that large and complex. Level design has really declined horribly in recent years.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
rxXYu5.jpg

GET BACK HERE FAGGOT LOYALIST DREAD U SCARED OF ROCKETS?

ZZTGo0.jpg

brave rambo force commander about to meet his doom

5wX1Lo.jpg

that feel when you sit on 1100 req but need 20 power for a land raider :negative:

ZEaO9o.jpg

and then you don't even get to show it off while the loldar avatars prance around showing their molten buttcracks because the game ends before the production does

borealesad.jpg

zwanzig_zwoelf

Doom 69 Alpha 2.1
bu56lwP.png

2yi6FEL.png

b8sBVZX.png

m4rshWI.png

hDJnknE.png

He looks bored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom