Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
BaWp3zj.jpg

Knifing a Controller in STALKER SHoC mod, OGSE. More pics from this hardcore survival mod in sig.

St. Toxic

Arcane
First Quake had style and tech to pull off some good shit.
Quake 2 had technology, but lacked the style and atmosphere the first game had.
Overall, I like Quake 1 graphics and gameplay way better than what Quake 2 could offer.
Pity that there are not that much games that use Quake Engine, though it was licensed by other companies to develop engines like LithTech and GoldSource.

I played both for years in mp and came to prefer Q2. They're both shitty sp games compared to the build games, but while Q2 sp is brown and episodic with a kickass soundtrack, Q1 is gamist and grimdark with an emo soundtrack.

zwanzig_zwoelf

First Quake had style and tech to pull off some good shit.
Quake 2 had technology, but lacked the style and atmosphere the first game had.
Overall, I like Quake 1 graphics and gameplay way better than what Quake 2 could offer.
Pity that there are not that much games that use Quake Engine, though it was licensed by other companies to develop engines like LithTech and GoldSource.

I played both for years in mp and came to prefer Q2. They're both shitty sp games compared to the build games, but while Q2 sp is brown and episodic with a kickass soundtrack, Q1 is gamist and grimdark with an emo soundtrack.
If Q1 soundtrack is emo, then Thief 1-3 soundtrack has some hardcore emo shit.
Also, Daikatana soundtrack beats Q2 soundtrack, thanks to bigger variety and talent compared to Dikicyan's newbie stuff.

St. Toxic

Arcane
If Q1 soundtrack is emo, then Thief 1-3 soundtrack has some hardcore emo shit.

No argument from me on that front. Then again, it suits Thief fairly well considering the difference in gameplay.

Also, Daikatana soundtrack beats Q2 soundtrack, thanks to bigger variety and talent compared to Dikicyan's newbie stuff.

I wouldn't put the two in the same genre though. Daikatana soundtrack belongs in a playlist with UT soundtrack.

Cazzeris

Are you really saying that one game is better than other because it has better music?

:hmmm:

St. Toxic

Arcane
No argument from me, since Quake 2 soundtrack doesn't belong anywhere near good music.

I think all three soundtracks are fine and can profess to having used both UT and Q2 soundtracks to serve as background noise for other fast-paced shooters. There's just something about the Q2 soundtrack that instinctively makes me want to jump on my own grenades.

Are you really saying that one game is better than other because it has better music?

The sum of the parts makes the whole, in my opinion. Quake had decent gameplay, but in terms of aesthetics it felt really disjointed. When the music turns into mechanical crickets chirping, as you're rocket jumping your way through a cyclopean castle, blowing up walking chunks of flesh and polar bears that shoot lightning, you end up with a fairly distorted experience. Multiplayer was great in that regard, as exploration and attention to detail isn't as much of a key mechanic, but the music still doesn't fit the fast-paced action involved -- so fuck it.

No, you retard, if we would judge games by music, then Amiga games would rule the world.

Eh, I always thought Amiga music was grossly overrated.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Then either you're a kid who tries to attract attention, or your taste is shit.

I'm posting on the Codex, so all three are true by default. Even so, all the 10h music compilations out there contain 9h of regurgitated garbage. Despite what hipsters may believe, it's not a matter of platform or game but the talent of individual composers and the difference between the artistic quality of a track on its own v.s its quality as part of a game. Composing a track that's appropriate for a non-interactive demo or splash-screen doesn't compare to composing a track that sets the right mood for executing a series of complex actions within an interactive environment.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Then either you're a kid who tries to attract attention, or your taste is shit.

I'm posting on the Codex, so all three are true by default. Even so, all the 10h music compilations out there contain 9h of regurgitated garbage. Despite what hipsters may believe, it's not a matter of platform or game but the talent of individual composers and the difference between the artistic quality of a track on its own v.s its quality as part of a game. Composing a track that's appropriate for a non-interactive demo or splash-screen doesn't compare to composing a track that sets the right mood for executing a series of complex actions within an interactive environment.
I've been composing music for mods and games for more than 2 years, so I know what that means, bro.
But also a lot of things depend on the person that is playing the game. If you want to duscuss more, PM me, and we'll talk.

Last edited by a moderator:

pippin

The mom lady looks more like Meg Ryan than Tidus. And that's saying something.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Modded NPCs can sometimes be funny :

sfh8cfB.jpg

Getting free rest when you're carrying twenty thousands gold pieces is indeed pretty insulting.

Essegi

Cipher
spekkio @FarCry said:
- @Gameplay: "use binoculars to spot enemies from 2km, so they appear on your radar"

- "Does it get ANY better, because so far it's total shit - it's more of a hiking simulator than a FPS... "
Set it on realistic difficulty without quicksaves, you'll be glad that binoculars spot enemies...
So.. Am I getting this right: I wrote that I hated the cheating AI (fags can perfectly snipe you with a rifle from 500m, even if you're perfectly hidden) plus binoculars working as a "marker" for the radar and... you recommend me to increase difficulty and stop using quicksaves? And that will help with the shitty aimbot AI, boring levels and unfunny gameplay how exactly?

:rpgcodex:
Kidding - Already uninstalled. :lol: That was my second aborted attempt, so it's either not my cup of tea of simply a shitty game
You should re install it and try with Delta Sector mod
:troll:
it's a real spotting nightmare

spekkio

Arcane
Rapeman - Origins

YFvVp0I.jpg

Starting with the mosquito level?

:bravo:

gEYlG7B.jpg

bg8NEBy.jpg

Gaius-Baltar.jpg

MILF AILT 2

TrGYHK0.jpg

Non-linear gameplay? It's like this thing Sceptic was talking about...

:smug:

DoJWyg6.jpg

RPG elements?

:incline:

0ippiPS.jpg

Robotic cats?

:hmmm:

Forward, my deadly minion!

xrgNAWW.jpg

qkdSC3K.jpg

Fucking cats...

:negative:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
yetNWt9.jpg

Remember kids, mix your stuff in a clean environment.

Walter-White-sm.jpg

Walter White approves of this post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom