Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

sser

Arcane
Developer
Roman elephants capturing Carthage.

That just ain't right.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Roman elephants capturing Carthage.

That just ain't right.

In your face, Hannibal. :P

Anyway, the scenario is rather basic and uses only the default units.
A more advanced scenario would have put limits on where to build Elephants, and have more unique units. This is the first scenario I've played, so I'm not sure what is possible with Civ2/Test of Time, though.
Civ 2 lacks a good cavalry unit before you get Crusaders. Horsemen and Chariots are too weak, so the more gimmicky unit Elephants take the place of regular cavalry. And Legions only have 1 MP, which means they are sitting ducks if caught in the open. To be historically correct, Legions should have been able to Fortify after movement (playing the scenario made me read up on the Punic Wars).

But should I have "role played" the scenario, I guess the best strategy for capturing Carthage would have been to surround it on six sides with Legions and hope they didn't have enough offensive units to kill them all.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Not sure what version you're playing, but I really enjoyed the WWII scenario in that game. If you're Germany, you get to truck over France. If you're Russia, you get to spend most of your turns moving a giant army from the Siberia to the frontlines. WWI wasn't too shabby, either.

There were a number of pretty weird or 'out there' scenarios - ones with dinosaurs, or the alien invasion, post-apocalyptic, and I think one was futuristic colonialism. The alien invasion one was very difficult as the invaders would whoop the hell out of every unit you had. Best thing about all those CivII scenarios is that they all have unique artwork and styles about them. That kind of thing has pretty much vanished.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not sure what version you're playing, but I really enjoyed the WWII scenario in that game. If you're Germany, you get to truck over France. If you're Russia, you get to spend most of your turns moving a giant army from the Siberia to the frontlines. WWI wasn't too shabby, either.

There were a number of pretty weird or 'out there' scenarios - ones with dinosaurs, or the alien invasion, post-apocalyptic, and I think one was futuristic colonialism. The alien invasion one was very difficult as the invaders would whoop the hell out of every unit you had. Best thing about all those CivII scenarios is that they all have unique artwork and styles about them. That kind of thing has pretty much vanished.
The Civ4 scenarios all feature unique art work I believe.

There is a lot of shared art still, but there are unique units and stuff in each one.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
ck2%202014-02-25%2021-59-18-82.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
that's for revoking my grandpa's county of Nassau within months of playing the game, Karling fucks.

Gregz

Arcane
RE: Master of Magic

Could you go into detail with that? I am always looking for more fun strategies.

It was months ago, but it's a hyper aggressive early strategy. Chaos is just a really powerful magic school I find, none of this bs where you buff your gold generation and population growth, you crank out Gnoll units extremely fast and buff them all a little bit and use offensive magic to win battles, the hellhounds are pretty good too.

I almost always go Myrran with 5 life books and ~ 2 nature 2 sorcery. High Men or High Elves.

Then I reroll maps and use the Alt-rvl cheat to verify that I get a good spawn and that I'm the only wizard in Myrra.

Then I city build like crazy, research/cast Planar Seal, then research/cast Incarnation (summon Torin). In the mean-time, lots of workers building magic roads (free on myrra) all over the place.

Then build a hero party around Torin that scours the map for books, items and retorts.

Then use that party to rape train whatever remains on the other plane ftw.

Renegen

Arcane
normal difficulty scrub detected

I kid, I kid. I love the beastmen on Myrran, you can't do wrong with Minotaurs, Chimeras and whatever else they have.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I'm playing the vanilla version of Civ 2. It has two scenarios that were not included in Test of Time - Rome and WWII. The latter is next on my play list after finishing Rome. Sounds like it will be fun.

I bought Test of Time many years (10-15) ago, but never installed it until recently. Then I realized it was not ToT on the fucking CD at all, but the original version of Civ2! :mad: I was ripped off. Not only did I not get the game I bought, but I didn't even get the Gold version of Civ 2, which included all or most of the weird scenarios you mentioned. So I don't feel bad about aquiring ToT and the Civ 2 expansion packs from abandonware sites.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I can't play it for long periods of time though, starts giving me motion sickness. Must be something about how you slowly pan around plus the visuals since I'm fine with most FPSes.

Pretty interesting game though. It's like a combination of Dark/Demon Souls and King's Field, you can definitely tell where their minds were heading. Enemy respawning is quite annoying though especially with equipment degradation, I'm currently exploring in circles trying to progress deeper to no avail. However I dig the combat system since you can dismember monsters and each type reacts differently. Certain foes will continue fighting even after being beheaded, swinging aimlessly and relentlessly in your general direction. Quite entertaining :D

It's pretty great, I think -- plus it's one of the rare ARPGs where firearms add to the game rather than bring it down. (I'm looking at you, Risen 2.)

I do prefer the original Shadow Tower from a purist's perspective, but one could argue Abyss is in many ways From's best game until the Souls series. The original ST is just too user-unfriendly, which limits its appeal to the most hardcore fans of the genre only.

From Software is the true Looking Glass spiritual successor. :M

sser

Arcane
Developer
Bought CivII at a Toys'R'Us many, many years ago (sigh). I probably put more hours into that game than any other. The Gold-edition also had a ridiculously good soundtrack with all sorts of unique songs for the scenarios. Unbelievable amount of content.

And yeah Civ4 had some unique assets to it, but I was mostly referring to Civ5 and the continuation/new direction of the series. Fall From Heaven II is probably the best mod the series has ever seen.

Kitako

Arcane
Yay Dragon Age replay after years, now that I got a pc capable of running crappy games.

Mighty plastic beard.
hgZQPu0.jpg

Iron clad MILF explaining her daughter about her first "that time of the month"
tkEOqMC.jpg

Titfucking an arrow
LZ46rwN.jpg

Plasticbeardo's "joining ritual"
wJUf7lm.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom