Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Perkel

Arcane
in fact physics seems to be massively improved

I mean they did massively improve it. In general physics in games is very very very limited and SC is one of those games that doesnt try to limit it so you have free movement of object on object on object. Previously such stuff would lead to one of those being yeeted out and destroying either you or ship. Now despite uber server lag somehow it still works.

ADL

Prophet
I would suggest waiting until 3.23 to try it out. And if you ever decide to make a purchase, stick to the starter Aurora package, which is about $40. You can easily get $40 worth of fun out of the game in its current state. As a backer, I can tell you that the game isn't worth more than $40, and nobody should ever spend more than that unless they truly want to. And even then, it's probably not worth it.
Definitely not worth it. None of these ships are actually worth anything. You're supposed to earn them in game and the only appeal for paying real money now is the fact that the game wipes periodically. My advice is and always will be wait for a free fly event and only buy the minimum package if you like it.

If you spend a dollar more on anything but the starter ships you're simply skipping a couple hours-days in progression in most cases. If you buy an Idris have fun finding a crew for that fucker. The pay2win factor will be pretty much irrelevant a week after the game comes out once people have earned these ships. Wish everyone started on an even playing field but again, small price to pay for what will likely be a billion dollar space game when all is said and done.

Myobi

Liturgist
The pay2win factor will be pretty much irrelevant a week after the game comes out once people have earned these ships. Wish everyone started on an even playing field but again, small price to pay for what will likely be a billion dollar space game when all is said and done.
Pure speculation and wishful thinking, just as that they will stop selling all that shit in "1.0".

Unless they add a alternative currency, players economy is already fucked big time, and with so many systems and game loops still missing, not even CIG has a clue of how that shit will actually work out, specially with Chris Roberts farting new features with every step taken.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
So, with all the weapon changes on EPTU and my experience in PvP with the weapons, I can safely say the "repeater meta" is over and the "cannon meta" is about to begin, specifically the ballistic cannons. Today, I was running all Tarantula cannons and annihilating every light fighter stupid enough to fight me. Running full ballistic lets you divert all power to shields too, which is such a massive advantage.

Maybe one day, CIG will realize ballistics cannot ignore shields.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
000.jpg

Myobi

Liturgist
Any reason for it? Any interesting drama?

Basically the thread consisted on one guy just bumping it to keep it on first page, another that would argue the opposite of whatever "haters" would say to keep the thread active and pretty much everyone else was there for the memes, shit and giggles.

On top of that, you have a pretty random shitty moderation system with vague ass rules, such as "no trolling.", with the current moderator at the time deciding what is trolling or not, the use of hyperbole, jokes, sarcasm often being considered as such, therefore you had people getting temporarily banned for popping there and asking "is it out already?" while others were just fine going as far as comparing other users to Nazis.

So, basically what would happen is that the thread would get bumped up with random YouTube videos or screen shots, people would laugh at it, then a couple of dudes would just argue the complete opposite of what was being said, often contradicting themselves while doing so, people would laugh even harder, infractions and temporary bans would start raining down, the thread would calm down and drop to the second page... just to get bumped back up again and restart all over again...

1.jpg

https://www.mmo-champion.com/thread...en/page638?p=53194353&viewfull=1#post53194353

https://www.mmo-champion.com/thread...en/page733?p=53597026&viewfull=1#post53597026

It was a very entertaining thread, but anyone with little common sense, using that nightmare of moderation system would shut it down sooner or later, impressed that it took them that fucking long.

Perkel

Arcane
it's 21 of april. 3.23 is supposed to go out in may along with "ship sale" and free flight week.
From what i read it is in atrocious state.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Listen, you don't have to tell us the wheels are coming off, we know that already.

BuzzCutPsycho

Novice
After 15 years and 700 million USD the word "impressive" loses its meaning.

The only thing that's impressive is how much of a scam this game is and how delusional and dumb their fanbase is to keep falling for it.

The fan base is very delusional and expects something that the game can never be. It's a mix of morons wanting Second Life in space, ARMA in space, some weird mil-sim shit, or big space rigging without combat and optional PvP. Its best bet is a more accessible first-person EVE Online with better combat. Anything else will be a failure. Something else that is impressive is the number of onlookers without a pot to piss in being concerned with how more financially successful people decide to waste their money. Star Citizen has brought class warfare to gaming in a way. The only part of their business practice I do not personally like is the "never again" ships people cannot get. They're few and far between, but that isn't fair to new players coming into the game, having something unobtainable through anything other than third-party websites.

it's 21 of april. 3.23 is supposed to go out in may along with "ship sale" and free flight week.
From what i read it is in atrocious state.

3.23 right now on EPTU is not at all like 3.18. I would say 3.18 was the worst patch they've ever had; 3.23 is actually very stable for something without meshing. It will be bad due to free flight, but that is all free flights.

Listen, you don't have to tell us the wheels are coming off, we know that already.

The wheels came off last year with the disaster that was 3.18. It's been nothing but up since then, believe it or not. Now, if they mess up meshing, you can consider this project dead. Without meshing, the game will never be anything but a fat man's dream.

Myobi

Liturgist
So basically I bought two CitizenCon tickets just when the sale opened for me and my son. Just to find out that just before they have raised the age restriction from 13 to 18.

I bought non refundable plane tickets and hotel just after getting the tickets and just before finding out about the age restriction - and now I was just denied a refund of the CitizenCon tickets also.

Who else bought tickets and tried to get a refund? Did you get one or not?

roFLMAO.jpg

^^;; Brahhh....

Perkel

Arcane
The fan base is very delusional and expects something that the game can never be. It's a mix of morons wanting Second Life in space, ARMA in space, some weird mil-sim shit, or big space rigging without combat and optional PvP. Its best bet is a more accessible first-person EVE Online with better combat. Anything else will be a failure. Something else that is impressive is the number of onlookers without a pot to piss in being concerned with how more financially successful people decide to waste their money.

I think the main point is that CIG tries to do something no other game tries to do which in turn gets them fans who are really into their game as there is nothing like it.

It's effectively blue ocean vs red ocean from marketing.
Red ocean is full of competition where you need to release polished product, you need to mind the price, customer support because otherwise your customer can walk out and buy somewhere else what you are doing.
CIG on other hand is swiming in blue ocean. There is no competition to what they are doing. And ever since they released 3.9 and allowed people to buy ships and wipes every patch stopped then their boat fully swam into it. CIG doesn't need to care about polish because their customers don't have anywhere to go. And you can easily see that by their $$$ numbers shooting into stratosphere pulling $100mil a year since that time.

Effectively people reward CIG for pursuing ambition even if meantime they get buggy/uncomplete product. Because that uncomplete/buggy product is still more fun for them to play than fully finished other product that has maybe 1/10 of features SC has and there are many games like that to begin with.

And this is true especially now because you can actually see the horizon ending instead of streatching into infinity.

There is set list of features to be implemented that is slowly coming down. Salvaging here, medical there and suddenly that list is now very managable and pretty short. In fact streatchgoal missing features list is pretty short now. It is CIG own new inventions beyond streatchgoals that popped up lately that are main limiters toward 1.0. Like servermeshing. Streatch goals never talked about unified world, they could do normal mmo like any other with instancing and it would fulfill that stretchgoal no problem.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
So basically I bought two CitizenCon tickets just when the sale opened for me and my son. Just to find out that just before they have raised the age restriction from 13 to 18.

I bought non refundable plane tickets and hotel just after getting the tickets and just before finding out about the age restriction - and now I was just denied a refund of the CitizenCon tickets also.

roFLMAO.jpg

^^;; Brahhh....

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

roFLMAO.jpg

^^;; Brahhh....

Better or worse deal than buying jpegs? Discuss!

Myobi

Liturgist
Welp, its happening, ED seems to be following suit and selling space ships as well, Sports, Fighting and now Space Sims.

Perkel

Arcane
Welp, its happening, ED seems to be following suit and selling space ships as well, Sports, Fighting and now Space Sims.

ED had micro since like 1st expansion. Going by obviously low player numbers they probably want to milk as much as they can while game is still alive for few years until they will shut it down.

Myobi

Liturgist

ED had micro since like 1st expansion. Going by obviously low player numbers they probably want to milk as much as they can while game is still alive for few years until they will shut it down.

I'm not against microtransactions, I understand the need for microtransactions when you are granted content updates and servers to play in.

I'm fine with cosmetics, not a big fan of shit that actually impacts gameplay in video games with multiplayer.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Why are you laughing at him? He built a custom cockpit that you can use for other sim games like DCS, MS Flight Simulator, etc... He bought real goods not jpgs from Chris.

Oh I just realized that you're upset that he spent the money on other companies that don't benefit Chris and his religion directly.

Hydro

Educated
Game looks fantastic and still produces tons of quality buttpain [feelsgoodman]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom