Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

ADL

Prophet
All I care about is the new star map and interaction systems. If they deliver those two things, it's the best update in years and enough for me to no-life the game again. Master modes would be nice too.

Myobi

Liturgist
All I care about is the new star map and interaction systems. If they deliver those two things, it's the best update in years and enough for me to no-life the game again. Master modes would be nice too.
Says a lot about the project development.

Myobi

Liturgist
Probably a huge pile of nothing as usual, but there are rumors of NDA conditional layoffs, reports of Spectrum accounts changes from "Staff" to "Backer", a 30% reduction in revenue compared to last January, and fancy sales popping up as mushrooms.

XK3AtJY.jpg

Head of the Live PU now looking for work as well ^^;

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Having non-janky interactions and navigation would have a huge impact on playability. Personal hangars is huge too IMO. It's very nice to see this stuff coming in not long after CitCon; I think this is the first time they're actually delivering on the presentations in a timely manner.

I'll remain skeptical of master modes until I play it. CIG really seems to struggle with balancing the flight and combat models and this is their, what, fifth iteration?

LJ40

Cipher
I think this is the first time they're actually delivering on the presentations in a timely manner.

Aren't they like 10 years late on absolutely everything?
They've already had interaction systems and starmap in the game for like 10 years, but the stuff they showed at CitCon was greatly improved versions of those existing systems.
So they've been working on this stupid game for so long they're having to remaster an alpha version?

Very impressive.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I am firmly convinced SC is a ponzi scheme. I refuse to believe it will ever be a viable product. I suspect the RSI knows it's bullshit so it's siphoning as much money as possible before it's inevitable failure.

spectre

Arcane
Inevitable failure? Neger pls... the business model is to milk this shit until kingdom come.
The only way they'd fail is to launch and claim it's finished.

Virgil Brummond

Educated
As part of his LARP as a game development CEO, Chris Robbers decided to go with the flow and mimic the behaviour of other gaming CEOs.

On a more serious note, a blog by Nosy Gamer highlights that their Jan numbers were down significantly compared to 2023:

Cloud Imperium Games recorded $5.4 million in sales in January 2024 according to the CCU Game - Star Citizen dashboard. Last month's total represents a 30.3% year-over-year decline in revenue to 2023's start of $7.7 million.

The source for this number suggests they are down 20.2% YoY in month to date Feb (but there are still seven more days to go).

In another blog post, Nosy Gamer speculates that rising costs led to biggest annualized loss so far in 2023:

According to my latest estimate, CIG experienced a loss of $18.4 million in 2023.

If I am close to correct, CIG experienced its biggest one year loss in its 12-year history. As a reference, the two previous years with the biggest financial losses, 2018 and 2019, combined for losses of $16.9 million. We will find out for certain when CIG releases the 2023 financial report in either December 2024 or January 2025.

The blog post also speculates on the breakeven point for 2024:

My best estimate to the question, "How much merchandise does CIG need to sell in order to break even in 2024?", is $149.4 million.

It seems CIG wants to cut headcount in the US and focus more on Montreal and Manchester were salaries are significantly lower.

I believe both the seniors producers who recently left CIG were based in their Austin studio.

Allegedly, a CIG PR goon directly addressed the rumors of the layoffs in the US:

A discussion between me and a CIG representative indicates that these fears are likely overblown. While not denying the existence of layoffs, Tyler Witkin (Zyloh) had made sure to indicate that neither office had planned to close. When I had mentioned that CIG’s job hiring site had been cleared of all but one US job posting (indicating a potential hiring freeze), Tyler indicated more were incoming as well as confidently dismissing a rumor about the fate of the Austin studio as untrue.

Perkel

Arcane
People said exact same thing about about 2023 august about how it is first year when CIG funding stops and that 2022 was special year
Meanwhile two weeks before end of 2023:

ler4l6ytwt6c1.png

Posting a loss is not new either. CIG always posts a loss nearly every year. Operating profit means they would have to pay high taxes so they would rather spend it on salaries of employees like Chris and his yacht.

Like I mentioned before SQ42 is apparently ending its production and teams that worked on it are moving toward SC development, with some position being doubled (directors, managers etc.) obviously some will choose to move away from company and be manager somewhere else rather than demote himself and stay on lower salary and be in worse position if they would want to move again in future. Another thing is that not many devs want to sit on such long project.

SQ42 was supposed to be in 3 parts initially but along the year first part increased in size to around "25 chapters" and it supposed to be first game out of two. Initially they were supposed to work on Part 2 and 3 (now 2) directly after release of SQ42 part 1 but that changed along as SC grew. After release of SQ42 they will throw all of their resources at SC to get it to 1.0. Part 2 of SQ42 is supposed to come after 1.0.

Virgil Brummond

Educated
The honest people at CIG came up with a new way to show their appreciation for their beloved suc ... uh ... backers.

They launched an event featuring a capital ship that goes for $1,000 - $1,500, but is not currently in game.

The kicker is the event is set up so only streamers and mega whales (by SC standards) can access this ship (CIG of course deny this). People who have been waiting for this $1K+ cash shop item for 10+ years are out of luck.;)

And this is after a decade of PR messaging about how they can't release this ship because of "Squadron 404 Spoilers".

The citizens are not happy:

Even letting those who spent $1000+ on an Idris 10-12 years ago spawn it in a Hangar or AC free fly to look around it would be a welcome move at this point.

We have had a decade of reasons why they won't let owners look around it, mostly focused on Sqn 42 spoilers. After this event, the past decade of excuses for not letting owners even walk around it in a hangar feel hollow.

I just get irritated that all ship owners get the first release perk that they get the reservation to fly their ships first. Meanwhile the price tag for the Idris is $1500 and players have stolen it, blown it up and now I get to hear players talk about how nice it's interior is when I haven't seen it myself.

I feel cig needs to treat all owners the same. Every owner gets VIP treatment to their ships. It was always mentioned as a perk that first access to a ship after it's concept release but I feel like it's being robbed.

This whole thing was of course accompanied by a mega sale with "limited stock":

Just looking for answers to this idris sale attempt.

All 3 attempts to buy the idris (Store credit) was ended with the entire stock being bought out in (and i am not joking) less then a second.
Sold everything i had, had phone, tablet and computer ready to snag this thing and it was gone before i had enough time to type 1500.
Thats absurd. Thankfully i have yet but one buy back to thank for something to fly. Cig please just let me give you money for the ship i want.

Why must there be such a small pool of them?

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
Hi y'all, I'm from Texas and have been playing this "game" for about 4 years, and have dumped like 50k or more into the game. I know that's a shitload of money and most of the money was spend within the first year. I have played the game for less then 200 hours over these years and am wondering if there is any hope for me here. I feel like the game has not produced anything in the last 4 years and will continue to let people down. I would really appreciate any help with this and if there is a process I can take to get my money back.

At this point, they all deserve to get dicked down by Chris.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Hi y'all, I'm from Texas and have been playing this "game" for about 4 years, and have dumped like 50k or more into the game. I know that's a shitload of money and most of the money was spend within the first year. I have played the game for less then 200 hours over these years and am wondering if there is any hope for me here. I feel like the game has not produced anything in the last 4 years and will continue to let people down. I would really appreciate any help with this and if there is a process I can take to get my money back.

At this point, they all deserve to get dicked down by Chris.
And Chris deserves to burn in hell. Greed is the third of deadly sins.

Gargaune

Magister
We have had a decade of reasons why they won't let owners look around it, mostly focused on Sqn 42 spoilers.
No, you can't see the bridge you bought yet, we're still painting it! You don't want to ruin the surprise, do you?

VIP treatment
You know how people who post "lol" aren't usually laughing out loud in front of the screen? Well, I was. I really was. :lol:

Sold everything i had, had phone, tablet and computer ready to snag this thing and it was gone before i had enough time to type 1500.
And then the laughter stopped. In a few years, an enterprising sort could probably start some kind of charity clinic to help Star Citizen "customers." Maybe a guy called Christopher Robertson.

Myobi

Liturgist
The departures of high profile figures have been notable recently: Live Game Director (Todd Papy), Lead Producer (Jake Ross), and seemingly Assistant Design Director (Dan Trufin, as per Papy).

But public posts on Linkedin are increasingly discussing restructuring and layoffs across CIG as well. For example:

• Austin Level Designer: "I'm sad to say that I've been laid off from my position as Level Designer at Cloud Imperium Games due to restructuring."
  • Austin QA Manager: "...laid off after 8 1/2 years..."
  • Austin Senior QA Analyst: "Welp, my time at CIG is sadly coming to an end. I certainly have enjoyed working for the company and we are parting on good terms though I would have liked to continue working with them, it is what it is."
  • Turbulent Producer: "I was gaslighted when I expressed concern about potential layoffs, telling me I didn't know what I was talking about, just before the holidays. At the end of January, a mass dismissal, disguised as a "relocation of staff" (when very few could/wanted to move to other countries/continents with little or no notice) occurred. [translated from French]"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom