Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't see what the problem is.

If SC comes out and is a success, it will truly push the boundaries of gaming as a medium.
If it never comes out and fails, we get to mock all the idiots who gave fucking 100$ million to scam artists.

Either way we all win.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Performance looks terrible, even the trailer is laggy. Can anyone with a sub 1000€ computer even play this shit at a decent performance level?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Performance looks terrible, even the trailer is laggy. Can anyone with a sub 1000€ computer even play this shit at a decent performance level?

By the time it comes out, we will all have wearable quantum computers.

So don't worry it will be fine.

JustMyOnion

Educated
How come no-one can replicate their success? How come no-one even tries to? When WoW got big everyone instantly rushed to make MMOs, remember?
Because Tim Schafer didn't just start yet another crowdfunding project, right? Because fucking Sony and Square Enix didn't just hop onto the Kickstarter train, right?
I have no idea why I'm responding to someone who goes on babbling about government agencies. Did I just fall for some epic maymay or something?
There's absolutely no doubt the money is real, as much as there's no doubt that so many rich fucking idiots are real. Children of rich people can be retarded weeaboo faggots too, you know.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Back in the day a new Origin game meant a new PC. Seems Robberts keeps true to that tradition.

Been watching a few streams and videos. Looks like it could actually become something. Whatever it is, it's incredibly ambitious. That the parts actually appear to slot together into something coherent is amazing. I've been disregarding this game as vapourware for a long time now but what I'm seeing is giving me some fresh hope.

polo

Magister
How much would cost me a Deat Star like space station?
dis geam gon b so gud

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Whether I want this game to do well is beginning to come down to who I dislike least: California Chris Roberts or Derek Smart. I never played Wing Commander, but I did have the misfortune to buy BC2000 when first released. So on balance I should hate DS the most, but his blogs are so entertaining I'm willing to potentially let go of a 20 year old grudge. So perhaps SC has achieved something after all. Merry Christmas.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Star Citizen 2.0’s Big Problems & Bigger Improvements

cit1.jpg

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas a game. Maybe not a lot, actually, but certainly a little. Star Citizen [official site] 2.0, as the latest alpha update calls itself, is out now and tries to expand the scope of the long-in-the-making, $100 million space game in addition to improving its core fight’n’flight aspect. So the big question is: is now the time to give Chris Robert’s record-breaking comeback a try if you’re not someone who’s already backed it?

cit2.jpg

Star Citizen 2.0 is an enormous improvement and there’s so many more reasons for optimism, but the answer’s still no, I’m afraid. With the important qualification “unless you particularly want to see this particular videogame evolve and get to try out new features as and when they’re released rather than all at once.” 2.0 makes some sizeable leaps from the state of arrested development the public builds of Star Citizen have been in for around a year, but there’s no escaping that you’re playing a very, very early version of the game with most of its bells, whistles and mechanics still absent.

There are also all sorts of technical problems. Foremost of those is that performance is diabolical. I’m averaging 20 frames per second at 1080p on a GTX 970 for me, no matter which official settings I use. User-modified INI files can get me to 30, but it still regularly drops as low as 15, and much of it looks awful, particularly textures – if I want it to be playable, it looks a bit Quake III much of the time.

cit11.jpg

Fine, it’s an alpha, those things will almost certainly improve over time, but above and beyond anything this needs a proper graphics settings menu, not simply Low/Medium/High/Very High. Or maybe stereotypes are true and most people who backed Star Citizen really are crazy-rich, so they’re all running triple-SLI Titan Blacks and don’t have this problem. I am not one of those, and so I feel a little nauseous from treacly and jerky framerates. I genuinely couldn’t play this for long.

Sadly, there are dozens of other minor technical and to some extent design issues which are getting in the way even when I do have a bearable framerate. It crashes quite a bit, I sometimes hit an “all instances full, please try again later” message in the persistent universe aspect and there are crazy clipping errors when I get in and out of my ship. At one point I briefly wound up inside someone else’s ship even though it was supposed to be mine; it took off into space with me awkwardly pogoing around inside the cabin, then simply disappeared entirely and left me floating in space.

cit3.jpg

It’s not impossible this is an actual feature – i.e. you can board ships but get left behind when they hyper-jump – but mixed in with the general animation and clipping mayhem around ship-boarding, it’s hard to say. I’ve also found myself barred from entering my own ship, which in one instance resulted in my being stranded on a distant space station despite standing right next to my craft. I was forced to suicide or restart to get out of that one.

These are, all being well, transitory problems, and only to be expected from an alpha build, even if it is calling itself 2.0. Arguably a more fundamental problems is the enormous amount of downtime that results from its simulation first/play second mentality – I really don’t need to very slowly cycle through a de-pressurisation chamber every time I want to walk over to my ship. I don’t need to watch the slowly open the doors and then the slower climb up the ladder animation every time I want to get into the ship. The slow wake-up-in-your-shoebox-sized-room process when I start a game (which I must every time I load it up in its current state) is now driving me spare. Ordering my ship from a computer terminal then working out exactly where the landing pad it’s on is this time is becoming extremely wearisome.

cit4.jpg

On the other hand, all this stuff is charming, it’s part of the fantasy, and it’s been meticulously created to look and feel fairly convincing. I wouldn’t not have it there, because it’s all part of what this game is trying to do, but I’d appreciate a few ways to shortcut around it when I’m in a hurry or simply don’t feel like seeing the same airlock animation for the three hundredth time. I don’t really know what the answer is there, and I’m sure there’d be outrage if all these bells and whistles of spacefaring life were excised.

I’m building to why there’s real reason for optimism, honest. I just want to get all the Buts! out the way first.

Combat and flight doesn’t feel quite as mechanical and unsatisfying as in earlier builds: there’s a noticeable improvement. The physics that has gone into it is beyond me, but it certainly feels more there now, the gap between it and Elite Dangerous in that respect now narrowing. Sadly I don’t feel the same awe, the same “ohmygod in space” thrill that I get from Elite, but it’s very hard to say if this is down to the controls, the physics, the art style, the sound design, the performance or some combination of the lot.

Hopefully time and under-the-hood improvements will sort that out, but no guarantees as yet. More positively, it seems to involve less downtime and waiting around than Elite – landing gear sorts itself out, jumps between planets are quicker and involve fewer steps – but so far it’s a small universe and that may change.

cit8.jpg

I should also acknowledge that my experience in terms of fight’n’flight excitement is hamstrung quite a bit by having a very overtly shitty starting spaceship, and I’m deeply frustrated by its slow speed and lousy pew-pew entry-level lasers. In a faster, better-armed ship I’m almost certain I’d feel more excited that I do right now, and in that we get into the issues around whether SC’s big-money microtransacted ships is good thing/bad thing.

I’m not going to go much into that stuff at this point, other than to say I can feel the strong temptation to go out and spend more money in order to have a better time, and that does make me feel uncomfortable. Of course, further down the line it will become more feasible to go out and earn a better ship in-game, but right now it’s pay or suck it up.

cit9.jpg

Terrible performance, tons of bugs, only adequate flight/fight feel: so why am I so much more positive about Star Citizen than I ever have been before. Well, because, for the first time, it’s now visibly a platform for the game to come rather than a few disparate, proof of concept elements.

In Star Citizen 2.0, you can wake up on a space station, order up a spaceship, get into it, fly off into space, hyperspace over to another station, land, get out, walk around (or jet around in low-gravity), maybe even shoot some guys. At no point during that will you ever see a loading screen. It’s seamless. It’s there.

Space. All yours.

cit10.jpg

Sure, it’s a bit rickety, no individual element is yet gosh-wow and the framerate’s on the floor, but it’s got the foundations of you-as-spaceman down. There’s a platform it can build a universe on top of. You can fly to assorted spacestations for repairs, and in time you’ll be able to wander around the shops at them too, there are minor missions to take on, and there is partial freedom to attack anyone else you encounter.

Star Citizen’s all-important persistent universe module has had its big bang, and given time we’ll see real life in it. OK, there’s an argument to be made that, with all that money, perhaps we should have been at this point a whole lot earlier, but it’s a huge step on from the proof-of-concepty Arena Commander dogfight module we’ve been stuck with for quite some time.

cit12.jpg

It feels like there’s a game waiting to happen now. There’s so much work to be done, especially if it’s to live up to that $100m in banked revenue, but pyramid scheme fears can now begin to dissipate (depending, of course, on quite how crucial expensive additional spaceship purchases turn out to be in the long run).

I can’t say whether it’s going to be a groundbreaking space game, because there simply isn’t much in it yet. But I also can’t say that it won’t be, and that’s important. It has, for instance, modelled an impressively large space station city, which reminds me a little of Deus Ex, filled with imposing architecture and shops-in-waiting, and currently populated by tens of players with exactly the same face, all hoping around in confusion.

cit6.jpg

There’s not really anything to do there yet, but they’ve made the place, and it’s an appealing place for sure. The idea that one day I’ll land here after a challenging series of fights, go for a wander and a restock on foot and feel like I’m home is delightful.

Don’t buy it yet, though. Not unless you want to see the sausage getting made. It’s not ready – but one day in the not-dramatically-distant future, I believe it will be ready.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Goodbye Elite, Goodbye No Man's Sky, Goodbye Space Engine.

Chris is the messiah, now i'm a believer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom