Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sawyer wants rpg to evolve

Cael

Arcane
Cadash was extremely garbage. One would be much better off with Capcom's arcade D&D games.
Hey! Shadows over Mystara was a great game. I played the crap out of it when I was in uni. OK. it helped that a single credit would last me over 90min (usually complete the game on one credit or close to it), but still...!

2house2fly

Magister
I guess we've to see Pillars of Eternity 2 sales to check this out

I wonder if Josh is genuinely scared of how this game is going to perform sales-wise, these comments are a bit weird
They've put way more money into this than was kickstarted at this point. Pumped up the area design budget to have locations that aren't the city, pumped up the voice acting budget to voice every single line of dialogue in the game, I'd be scared too

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
They’re much more action orientated, much more focused on the immersive experience. That shows there’s more room for RPGs to grow than just to be what they were 20 years ago. It’s really a matter of finding an audience that matches up with that
I guess if immersion is running backwards holding the trigger down, then yeah they "found" their audience.

frajaq

Erudite
J.E. Saywer's about to make you his bitch.

I hope so my friend, I hope so...

YkF2sTT.png

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
An a serious note, part of a problem is that all the grognardy aspects have traditionally involved all the challenging, in depth and rewarding parts of gameplay which would "reward" the players who did 5 playthroughs of a game with new insights and cool stuff the "noobs" who only did one playthrough did.

If you want to take the math out of RPGs you have to replace it with source of in depth entertainment for those hardcore fans who find all the tips and tricks, master the mechanics and like the complexity that bring on duh math brings. And nobody has ever done that as far as I know, ever time someone takes out the math and the tabletop mechanics they've replaced them with action adventure mechanics or else severely dumbed it all down overall.
That's because the mathy parts actually make the game more accessible. For the most part, BGS games do everything their predecessors have. The difference being each successive title has hidden even more mechanics, taking them away from the player and giving the entire job to the code. I mean, there's no more universal language than numbers; frankly your story can crash and burn, but I can still enjoy a role-playing game for it's mechanics alone. "Evolving" past stats is an adventure game, which are fun, but old news too.

Lurker47

Savant
He pointed to Bethesda’s success with Fallout and The Elder Scrolls games as examples of a developer taking role-playing games in a different direction.

“The traditionalists probably get angry about this stuff, but Bethesda’s RPGs are very different from isometric RPGs.

“They’re much more action orientated, much more focused on the immersive experience. That shows there’s more room for RPGs to grow than just to be what they were 20 years ago. It’s really a matter of finding an audience that matches up with that,” he added.
I guess this is a form of evolution in the same way that deceleration is scientifically a form of acceleration.

Comte

This guy releases the most boring bland paint by numbers rpg and then complains that he wants to see radical changes in RPG games whatever.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
That line of argumentation is really odd. Fallout 4 the radical new direction for RPGs?

So they make this traditional RPG and are quite successful with it because its a game for a niche audience that craves for this stuff after being served the action adventure sort for a decade.

Then after becoming successful with that, he says those niche fans are resistant to change and there are much more radical things RPGs could be. Fair enough, like what? Well, like the kind of action adventure we have been getting for over a decade now whose success is exactly the reason you have been successful with your traditional niche games in the first place.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Then after becoming successful with that, he says those niche fans are resistant to change and there are much more radical things RPGs could be. Fair enough, like what? Well, like the kind of action adventure we have been getting for over a decade now whose success is exactly the reason you have been successfull with your traditional niche games in the first place.

See, this is where I think we're missing the context. This was a panel about "Evolving the Genre". According to VG247's writeup, during that panel, Josh Sawyer said these two things:

1) RPGs can/should evolve.

2) In the past, RPGs have evolved by adapting the Bethesda open world RPG formula.

People ITT are now assuming that those two statements are one and the same. That Sawyer said "We need to evolve our RPGs, by turning them into Bethesda games". But we don't know that. All we have is VG247's context-free summary of various things that he said.

Last edited:

Artyoan

Arbiter
If I were to summarize his points from this context-less article it would be:
-Numbers and stats underlying an rpg are not core elements of what makes an rpg an rpg
-Elder Scrolls is an example of a way an rpg can move towards an action game and still be considered an rpg and that is not bad
-The core of an rpg is still about being able to define your character's personality and have their choices matter

If anything I think he is saying this: We should be making immersive/action rpg games like Elder Scrolls that actually let the players make big choices, have branching paths, and not be focused on the numbers underwriting the systems contained within the game.

Cael

Arcane
If I were to summarize his points from this context-less article it would be:
-Numbers and stats underlying an rpg are not core elements of what makes an rpg an rpg
-Elder Scrolls is an example of a way an rpg can move towards an action game and still be considered an rpg and that is not bad
-The core of an rpg is still about being able to define your character's personality and have their choices matter

If anything I think he is saying this: We should be making immersive/action rpg games like Elder Scrolls that actually let the players make big choices, have branching paths, and not be focused on the numbers underwriting the systems contained within the game.
DID your choices matter post-Morrowind TES, though?

Artyoan

Arbiter
I don't think he's saying that choices did matter in newer Elder Scrolls games. I think he's saying that they advanced from more number oriented affairs to action ones which is good. But they didn't advance in the way an rpg should, which is choice and consequence.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, I think if what Josh said in this panel is a clue about some future development, it's probably the announcement of Cain and Boyarsky's game, which is supposed to be something like that. E3 is in two months...

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
I don't think he's saying that choices did matter in newer Elder Scrolls games. I think he's saying that they advanced from more number oriented affairs to action ones which is good. But they didn't advance in the way an rpg should, which is choice and consequence.
When Fallout Tactics, which is a squad tactical game, has more possible outcomes and C&C than Bethesda's offerings, you know how utter poo Bethesda has become.

Brother Rat

Novice
I know it's banal to bring up the "what is an rpg" question, but it's necessary in order to understand the full scope of what Josh is saying here. I think we can all agree that the defining characteristic of an rpg is that the game reacts to the choices you made during character creation. So when Josh says that rpgs can only evolve by moving the focus away from character building to choices made during the game, he's basically saying that rpgs can only evolve by becoming less like rpgs. It's obvious decline, like saying that video games can only evolve by becoming less like games and more like movies. That, coupled with the weird attack on some traditionalist hardcore player strawman, makes Josh seem incredibly out of touch.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Translation: I want to make make RPGs for people who don't like RPGs.

Evolve... fuck off, how about wanting to make good RPGs in the first place? Nah, it's much easier to try to reinvent the wheel and then blame "grognards" when your shitty vision inevitably fails.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Right....

W T F

Sure, there’s room to do different shit, but your company nostalgia-baited those derisive “traditionalists” to stay in business.
Very much so THIS!
And they managed to deliver a boring, lackluster product. Guess they really figured out that "traditional CRPG" genre huh? Get the fuck outta here.

For Sawyer, role-playing games are defined by the player’s ability to alter the storyline of the game through his or her actions, rather than the amount of stat tweaking or hit points a player delivers in combat.
Maybe give both a shot :hahano:
Fucking disgusting article that reads like a unity-rpg job interview. That's fine though, enough worthwhile games left to play before dragging poe2 out of a bargain bin.

Mustawd

So much talk about Sawyer. Not enough talk about Feargus wanting to do a AAA rpg one day.

And for all of you who are surprised, do you really think Sawyer wants to make games based on an old, dead genre? He's probably sick of isometric IE-likes by now.

As someone already mentioned before, PoE was pitched as a last minute effort to save the company. It's not what obsidian is about, and it's definitely not what they want to be about in the future.

EDIT: There really isn't a nuObsidian. It's just the old Obsidian before the kickstarters.

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So much talk about Sawyer. Not enough talk about Feargus wanting to do a AAA rpg one day.

And for all of you who are surprised, do you really think Sawyer wants to games based on an old, dead genre? He's probably sick of isometric IE-likes by now.

As someone already mentioned before, PoE was pitched as a last minute effort to save the company. It's not what obsidian is about, and it's definitely not what they want to be about in the future.
I thought that they wanted to be "not bankrupted". It will be nice if they branch out and do other kinds of rpgs,as long as they don't forget to make an isometric one from time to time. If they keep to just one subgenre,it will fuck them up.

Mustawd

Let me ask you this: Did they make an IE-like game BEFORE they were going out of business?

Yah, didn't think so.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
EDIT: There really isn't a nuObsidian. It's just the old Obsidian before the kickstarters.

When people say "nuObsidian" they don't mean an Obsidian that wants to make popamole AAA games. In fact, there are a good number of people on this forum who prefer the old Obsidian that made popamole AAA games.

The old Obsidian is the Obsidian of Chris Avellone, the Obsidian that specialized in making ambitious, often buggy sequels to popular licenses, with heavily character-driven narratives and a tendency towards "philosophical" or trope-deconstructing writing.

The nu-Obsidian is the Obsidian of Josh Sawyer, the Obsidian that's focused on creating its own IPs with voluminous amounts of "lore", that seems more interested in system design than narrative, that prefers to play it safe and is wary of over-ambitious project scope.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom