Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sawyer wants rpg to evolve

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thus why I said Obsidian got an unique chance in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Because the said mind cant, for a second, imagine that there's some team out there can drive the writings up so hard, and make the game become more challenging. Said mind slip that once and give Obsidian a chance to make a over-large fan mod that become FNV.
FN:V is the unholy combination of Van Buren and Bethesda FPS engine. They took some heat from the fans and I bet that Bethesda developers got personally insulted by their additions, but what ruined them was the bugs. It seems they always tried to add all the content they want and then they would ask the publisher for more time to fix bugs, which is naive. They should have self-imposed time constraints and take this in consideration. Avellone also mentioned in public that they had less than stellar work ethics in the matter of bug fixing, so it is not just lack of time.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well AoD is greatly over-glorified,extremely linear game. I can't get why people like it that much.
The only thing that is linear is your understanding of the game.
A bunch of impossible checks make the game non-linear. The whole game was about choosing a class and pumping points in your strong skills. Anything else was impossible because you didn't had the skillpoints to branch in to other skills. The game could have a lot of replayability for some people,but that doesn't mean that it is not linear.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Master

Arbiter
"Did you know, those old time WW2 cars aren't cars anymore? They were by the standards of their time but they evolved"
-Josh Sawyer

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Read the post I made earlier in this thread, explains pretty well why AoD feels kinda linear. It has tons of choices and lots of paths to follow which are all mutually exclusive, but once you've locked yourself into a path you're on it.
Don't worry. I will get back to that. It will take a long post.
It is surprisingly easy and fast to read, JarlFrank does know how to write in a way that picks the readers attention. It reminds me of some pretty good writers.

Do you always deal in such blacks and whites? Developers don't despise Age of Decadence. But can you say with a straight face they think it moved the genre forward? We're talking about an industry in which the trend is increasingly towards simulation, towards hiding the math, towards simplicity, style, and "seamless gameplay." Age of Decadence is the opposite of that. So is Pillars of Eternity. Do you think today's indie developers believe throwing a bunch of math and walls of text at the player is the right way to go? Of course they'll say nice, polite words, and in the case of InXile, play up their grognard reputation in time for Torment's release. But I would question the sanity of anyone who thinks that developers looked at Age of Decadence and thought this was the future of CRPGs, when every GDC you attend, the guys at the panels are saying almost the exact reverse of what Vince D. Weller's development philosophy is.

There was one area in which Age of Decadence sort of matched up with what developers today are pushing, and that's with respect to being more reactive to player actions. Besides that, the game is a huge throw back to the old school of not just CRPG design, but game design in general.

But what does moving the genre forward even mean? It seems clear to me that games like Disco Elysium and Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones will add interesting mechanics that are refreshing to the genre, but even if most developers enjoy their games, only a minority among them (the Indie ones) will try to take similar risks and implement similar ideas. So if that is the case, would they be moving the genre forward or not? I think they will, because they are adding new things, but you think they don’t because you assume that they need to influence a critical mass of developers. I think to expect a game to be that influential nowadays is misguided, since nowadays most developers have their hands tied by causal players expectations. What influences the most is what sells. I simply don’t care how influential a game can be. Diablo is influential, but it sucks. You just need to look at D:OS. They are influencing other studios, but for all the wrong reasons. See, for example, how InXile is implementing co-op in W3. That kind of influence will only make the genre worse, because cRPGs are the furthest thing from multiplayer games. The things that D:OS did it right, like the environment combos, were ignored. PS:T was the same thing. It received critical acclaim, but its influence on the genre was the implementation of walls of text dissociated from gameplay and the misguided notion that cRPGs can be high art. Terrible ideas. So it was influential in the genre, but it pushed the genre back. So being influential is not necessary to move the genre forward and should not be even mentioned in this discussion. Second, even if you insist on this influence idea, you need to consider that these things take time. So let’s just say that moving the genre forward means adding features and mechanics that are refreshing, instead of influencing other developers.

The discussion about moving the genre forward also assumes that most developers are competent in their craft, but most of the time the average cRPG developer can’t do anything right. The character building is fluffy, the combat is not good, the itemisation is uninspired, the C&C is cosmetic, and so on. The list of fuck ups is endless, and It is not surprising because cRPGs are too damn hard. In this context, any discussion about moving the genre forward is pretentious and misguided. It does not matter how many interesting possibilities and unexplored alternatives a developer can come up with. They will all inevitably suck, because if he can’t get the basics right he has zero chances of implementing properly his refreshing ideas.

Now, regarding Age of Decadence, the game is refreshing for a few reasons. First, it tries its best to be unforgiving and realistic in the way it presentes the gameworld and it delas with the consequences of your choices. In past games, Fallouts, Arcanum, etc., you also have this but only in few segments, because different developers have different mindsets. So you will be punished for doing things in an unreflected manner, facing consequences that you didn’t foreseen or dealing with the realities of the game world that imposes itself and forbids you from moving forward. It is not the high graphics fidelity that make a game immersive, it’s realism, and realism is what Age of Decadence has in abundance. No more retarded gameworld taylor-made to please the gamers’ ego and Fedex quest. Take FO2 for example. You can right from the beginning can kill a whole gang by yourself, you can murder entire cities, etc., and this shit is simply idiotic. The only game that was refreshing in that aspect was Prelude to Darkness but since it was never released as a product it was forgotten; and ironically it is one of the main influences of Age of Decadence, the role-playing experience of adults. I also enjoyed the brutal way the open world of Gothic treats you, but that is about it.

Kids ———————————————————————————Grown Ups

Game of Thrones————————————————— The Accursed Kings

220px-Game_of_Thrones_Season_4.jpg
w2fPcOA5qKhmbZGy5LdsKif8Mx1.jpg

Miami Vice—————————————————————The Wire
MV5BMTlmMjJhNDctODg1NS00MzU1LTg3YzEtZGY2ZjYzOGE5OWZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
250px-The_Wire_-_Season_1.jpg

Die Hard——————————————————————————Elite Squad

915Aja1W%2BCL._SY445_.jpg

Sopranos—————————————————Gomorrah
The_Sopranos_S4_DVD.jpg
af6ec9183fede19fb500da9e6403c321.jpg

Fallout—————————————Age of Decadence

latest
4EF67CC6AFBA503CF899D2FAD3AB6CD56789BB5E

Age of Decadence is refreshing because of how seriously it took character building in your choices. In the few games that even pretend to implement skill and stat checks, there is no consistency whatsoever. Take FO2, for instance, there is zero logic in the way the stats and skills are handled. There is a illusion of character building. People pretend to build a character with stats and skills, but the gameplay has nothing to do with it. Not in Age of Decadence, you won’t. A hard task is a hard task, and it demands high skill checks. The character building is not fake. The stats and skill matter outside of combat.

But where Age of Decadence shines the most is in the C&C department. It takes your choices to a whole new level. And by choices I’m not only mean a few dialogue options or three endings, but a deluge of narrative choices that affect the gameworld completely. More than that, there is no unimaginative or poorly thought quests, which is more than can be said about most cRPGs. Yet, for some bizarre reason, some players complain that they have less freedom, not more. But that’s because (1) they only want non-narrative non-scripted choices (read “I want barrels to destroy and trash mobs to kill to decompress from my job); (2) they want to make narrative choices, but don’t want them to be meaningful or have long-term effects (read “I don’t want the gameworld is imposing its reality on me, because I feel coerced by it. What I want is teenager ego pandering and feel empowered walking from point A to point B doing menial irrational shit”). In other words, they either don’t want reactivity or want cosmetic fluffy reactivity, because either they want the game to be linear or they want a fake gameworld that is entirely passive under the might of the player’s ego!

Now, notice that I used the term “refreshing” instead of “new” because there is a misconception about creativity where something is only perceived as new only if nobody ever thought about it before, which is naive, to say the least. Age of Decadence is refreshing because it revives what was lost by the increasingly bland, wishy-washy genre that tries to please games from all other genres at the expanses of its own past, identity and strengths. It’s a slap in the face of all the shameful attempts to please players with ego pandering, half-assed attempts to implement C&C and fluffy illusory character building. If you don’t like Age of Decadence, you don’t like cRPGs, you just think you do, because you are spoiled by the mistakes of the industry.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Well AoD is greatly over-glorified,extremely linear game. I can't get why people like it that much.
A bunch of impossible checks make the game non-linear. The whole game was about choosing a class and pumping points in your strong skills. Anything else was impossible because you didn't had the skillpoints to branch in to other skills. The game could have a lot of replayability for some people,but that doesn't mean that it is not linear.

Bullshit, in my first game (after the obligatory 3 hour restart) I bumbled around doing some talking, loring, fighting and zig-zagging all the way through to the end.
I'm not exactly a rocket scientist.

About Age of Decadence: it's a good game that experimented into a certain direction and succeeded at doing what it wanted to do. But is this the direction RPGs should involve into? Or, on a more subjective level, is it the direction I would like RPGs to develop into, or the direction I would have developed the Fallout/Arcanum style of RPG into if I had been in VD's place? No, it's not. Which just goes to show that there are so many different potential avenues for the classic RPG to develop into, and AoD is just one of those avenues.
It’s somewhat reductive to fit Age of Decadence in the box a spiritual sucessor to FO, don’t you thinK? The game obviously drink in too many pots (the FOs, Arcanum, Darklands, RoA2, PS:T, Prelude to Darkness) to have a personality of its own. You need to ask Vince how many games influence him in regard to combat system. I would bet that he would probably mention JA2 and all the well-known strategy games.

While AoD serves up a massive amount of choice and consequence for the player, it also feels like it's railroading the player to a certain extent, and focuses more on providing the player with a couple of distinct paths than it focuses on providing the player with an open playing field filled with role playing opportunities.
Because your choices are meaningful and impact the game world, which on its turn reacts to your decisions with further action, whereas in most cRPGs the gameworld is a mere punching bag that stands passive while the might player in shinning armour walks all over it. You have been spoiled by ego-pandering focused gameplay for decades and now you face meaningful choices and the only thing you can see is a noose around your neck. What you call good gameplay I call the ability to do make non-narrative choices that have no meaningful impact the gameworld, is the freedom to press switches to see doors opening.

In this way, as inspired as it may be by Fallout and Arcanum, it deviates rather significantly from those two games. In Fallout, you're released upon the world and can go anywhere and do anything right from the start. Go to Junktown, help either Gizmo or Kilian, or neither of them, just ignore it, don't even have to visit the place. Same with every other place. The game presents you with locations and quest opportunities, and some quests are mutually exclusive, and some offer choices that affiliate you with a certain faction, but you can also just ignore everything and head straight for the water chip and then the Master if you have previous game-knowledge and know where to find them. Similar with Arcanum: while this one has a more linear main quest with more steps in-betweeen (go to BMC, go to Wheel Clan, go to Qintarra, find Min Gorad etc etc), every location in the game offers you several quests, sometimes with conflicting sides to choose, and you can do whatever you want. You're never railroaded into anything and often get the opportunity to double-cross your employers, too.
In Age of Decadence you can also jump entire segments to reach certain locations earlier if you know how to do it, but strangely enough this stuff is promptly ignored as railroading or whatever. The double standards always pop up in this discussions. It is perfectly okay to praise text-adventure options in Darklands, but in Age of Decadence the same thing is railroading or CYOA. The hypocrisy is appalling.

This is great quest design with choice and consequence that doesn't force the player into a railroad. … AoD's structure is more of a tree-like structure with several branches, which all have branches of their own. So you have the legion branch, the assassins branch, the merchants branch, the thieves branch. Within each of these you have at least two branches, too. But once you're within a branch, you can't hop over to another. Like, if you joined the assassins you can't betray them for the thieves and join them instead later on. You can only make choices that are applicaple within the assassin branch: there's no "I'll betray my faction to the leader of another faction" kind of thing.
You can betray every faction in the game. You can literally walk from the building of your faction and make propositions to other sides. If you betray any faction in the game, you have more quests, and problems down the road and different events in other areas of the map. You can fail inside a quest and this will lead to a different path. If you don’t know that, you didn’t do your homework, you ae attacking a straw man. But the reason for your sloppy homework is that all this talk about quest design is a smoke screen for another thing, namely, the fact that your options are gated by stats and skills. That’s what eating you. If in all those games I could kill things for the lulz and see different outcomes, how come I can’t do the same thing in Age of Decadence? The answer is simple: you can’t because the game takes character building seriously. You just don’t get to choose to kill whoever you want when you feel like it, even if this look cool and feel awesum! That’s what you really wanted to say, but can’t say openly because it will make you sound like a idiot. That’s usual in this discussions. You want to criticise the game for its design logic, but can’t do that without looking like a idiot so you resort to euphemisms and red herrings (railroald design, etc.) that express your feelings but can’t really address what’s eating you. It doesn’t seem like you provide any new criticism besides the ones that have been repeated over and over in other threads in the past years, issues that have been discussed to death.

Lockpicking, for example, is only used in the thieves questline. When I played an assassin, I was surprised how the thieving skills were essentially useless and the only real viable character builds were critical strike guy and combat guy. Same with the merchant, you essentially have to play a talky guy and stealth skills, for example, are useless. Even though it would have been cool to approach a merchant's guild quest with stealth by breaking into the mansion of a guild rival, stealing some blackmail material, then using that against him instead of your speech skills.
We are discussed this topic in other threads. I guess you weren’t following it. There are two reasons for that. First, the gameworld can only be compelling if some skills are more useful than others. That restriction is imposed for obvious reasons. You can’t expect a lock in every quest or piece of the map to justify your investment in the skill. The alternative to that is underwhelming, e.g., something like W2, with toasters, alarms, mines and all kinds of nonsensical shit spread in the map to justify each player investment. What is worse, because you can’t invest in every skill, you will be punished constantly to compensate the fact that the developer is trying to justify the existence of a certain skill. You didn’t invest in explosives? Well, good luck with that. Now you will have your ass blown up because of that, because there are mines everywhere. Second, every single cRPG out there have some skills that are less useful than others. This happens not only because of the restrictions imposed by the gameworld, but also because of the lac of game development resources. It’s complete hypocrisy to single out Age of Decadence to make this kind of criticism. Third, lockpick has plenty uses of key points in the game that have nothing to do with each faction. In fact, to analyse the skills as if their existence was justified and need to be completed used in every single faction is an absurd standard that ignores their use in other parts of the gameworld and in quests that are not faction related. Bur hey, since it’s Vault Dweller game let’s criticise him for not doing the impossible in the most uncharitable manner and pretend the other games were perfect. It’s “I can’t believe that my neighbour won the Nobel Prize” syndrome. People criticise this game too much.

This is quite different to a more goal-oriented and open quest design as we can see it in, for example, the first quest in Gothic 2: get into the city. There are multiple ways to get into the city, but the game never puts the choice before you and says: "Now you have these three methods to choose from: become a farmer so they let you in as a citizen, pay them a bribe so they let you in, or sneak around the wall and find a back entrance." Instead, you have to figure out these options by yourself and then choose the one that seems best to you. This is the kind of quest design that just puts a goal in front of you, then lets you tackle that goal with all the tools the game provides you.
The immediate downsides of this approach: (1) the gameworld is not realistic as it could be; (2) the player don’t have the same impact on the gameworld as he could.

And that's the direction I would take the classic RPG into: an open quest design where you're confronted with goal-oriented quests (get X, find out X, kill X etc) and then you can tackle these quests in any way you want, depending on the skillset of your character. Stealth, combat, diplomacy, all are valid approaches.
What if the quest can only be solve by a specific combinations of skills you don’t have? What about the combination of skills and stats? What about the difference of design between side quests and main quests? What if the quests involves a immensely difficult task that nobody ever did before? Or maybe you can just assume that whatever choice of investment in skills should be enough a priori? That’s what I don’t get it. You want to pretend that you care about the player’s choices and character building, but the only way to implement both is by sacrificing the logic of the gameworld and the consistency of the character building. Does it even make any sense to assume that the player can’t have an unforeseen problem that leads to failure and requires reloading? You think that the gameworld should be like they always are in most cRPGs: an amusement park so that the player can do whatever he wants given his previous allocations of SPs. Anything that goes against that is labelled as railroading or bad design. What a bunch of hooey.

In AoD, there is often only one approach that is truly valid, and that approach depends on which faction questline you are in. Going through the merchant questline as a pure fighter or pure stealth guy is impossible, or at least will end up giving you terrible results because you suck at all the options the quest presents to you, while the quests never allow you to make use of those skills you actually possess.
As it should. In the real world your affiliations matter, and you need the proper skills to solve the problems the world throws at you. If you don’t have the proper skills you fail. The idea that you shouldn’t fail given your previous investment in skills is pure egocentrism because that’s not how things work in practice. Maybe you are right, but in this case we should acknowledge that cRPGs can’t have consistent character building or gameworld.

Which is why creative new designers who have a certain vision and know where they want to go are so important. AoD is a game of that kind. It doesn't fucking matter how influential it is on other developers or how well-known it is, what matters is that AoD itself is a game that took RPGs into a new direction because its lead designer was a guy with a vision who knew what he wanted to do, and he went into a new direction nobody had gone into before. If that isn't what evolving the genre is, then I don't know what is.
One of the things that Age of Decadence made me realise is that there is another reality, an ancient world of cRPG design where players get punished for making bad choices, and that is much more unforgiving than IE games and the like. So paradoxically it expanded my horizons beyond IE games precisely because it tries to be more traditional than some of the games it draws inspiration from.

A game is influential when someone, somewhere, somewhen is inspired by the experience of that game and makes his own game which is partially informed by that experience. AoD may very well give some people who played it new ideas on what to do or not to do with an RPG. Maybe in 10 years we'll receive a really good new indie RPG and in an interview the lead designer will mention how AoD was his main influence. Who knows?
From a player’s perspective, there should no be any intrinsic interest in the question of whether a cRPG is influential or not, because there is no correlation between influence and intrinsic merit, or innovation for that matter—at least not anymore. If anything the past decade indicates that the correlation is negative. The more influential a cRPG is nowadays, the more derivative and MMOish it is. It is as if all bigger releases now are MMOs in disguise: Final Fantasy, Zelda… even God of War, it’s underwhelming and repulsive to see so many games trying to follow the same formula.

Bullshit, in my first game (after the obligatory 3 hour restart) I bumbled around doing some talking, loring, fighting and zig-zagging all the way through to the end. I'm not exactly a rocket scientist.
The negativity bias, also known as the negativity effect, refers to the notion that, even when of equal intensity, things of a more negative nature (e.g. unpleasant thoughts, emotions, or social interactions; harmful/traumatic events) have a greater effect on one's psychological state and processes than neutral or positive things.
Players used to other cRPGs have a low tolerance to negative events, so it only takes one failed skill check to create this monolotic image of restriction. They may even succeed in a quest with a non-optimal result, but even this result is felt as an insult to their self-image. It doesn't matter how many LP videos prove them wrong, they will still insist on this fixed idea. The best thing you can do while playing AoD is making a new build and trying choices blind. You always have surprises.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Because your choices are meaningful and impact the game world, which on its turn reacts to your decisions with further action,

Yeah, well, the line between this supposed reactivity and rail-roading if a very thin one.

You are in the end rail-roaded into one of the paths that VD wrote.
At no point did I feel like I was actually doing something on my own.
Everything was clicking on a different hyperlink. That is exactly rail-roading.

Motivating that with "meaningful impact" is just lol. Same as with their "lol the events happen without you" bullshit which can be easily de-bullshitted into "we didn't have the time to script results for everything".

Because it is about scale.

Yeah, keep yapping retarded shit.
You claimed that AoD denies you the possibility of solving certain quests. Only when I mentioned Fallout and Arcanum already did it way before you started screeching about scale and other stupid shit.

A well scripted quest offers much more reactivity than whatever shallow mechanics are present in the game.

Particularly in AoD, amirite?
If the example I gave you were to be in AoD, you'd have a hyperlink saying "teleport to nearest shop, buy charm scroll, cast it and steal armor and then stab him in the back". So much awesome gameplay. :lol:

If you put scripts over game mechanics then you a retard and a story fag and you should kill yourself.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Bullshit, in my first game (after the obligatory 3 hour restart) I bumbled around doing some talking, loring, fighting and zig-zagging all the way through to the end.
I'm not exactly a rocket scientist.
I think this is the case where the truth really is in the middle. My experience with AoD tells me that Fantadomat is exaggerating but it is also true that some paths were very limiting in the ways what skills you could use. It seems that some builds allowed more options for using alternative skills, some allowed less.
Basically you are both right. And don't tell "both can't be right" !

Serus

Arcane
Patron
[...]
From a player’s perspective, there should no be any intrinsic interest in the question of whether a cRPG is influential or not, because there is no correlation between influence and intrinsic merit, or innovation for that matter—at least not anymore. If anything the past decade indicates that the correlation is negative. The more influential a cRPG is nowadays, the more derivative and MMOish it is. It is as if all bigger releases now are MMOs in disguise: Final Fantasy, Zelda… even God of War, it’s underwhelming and repulsive to see so many games trying to follow the same formula.
I have a problem with this part.
Let' say I play a cRPG game. Say it's AoD. I like it (I actually did). I'd like to play more games that attempt a similar approach. But if AoD haven't influenced any other developer to make similar games - then I'm probably out of luck. So yes, there is a a clear interest from player's perspective. You want the game types you like to be popular and influential for that reason. On the other hand too much influence brings a risk of a whole sub-genre being created, becoming popular and then going popamole which isn't good either.

Viata

Arcane
Let's take the first town of Arcanum, Shrouded Hills, as an example. The gnomish wizard Jongle Dunne offers you the quest to destroy the town's steam engine cause he hates technology. The steam engine is guarded by a simple-minded dwarf who loves steam engines and is a rather loveable little dude. He attacks you when you attempt to wreck the steam engine, and usually this will end in his death, but if you dump Virgil outside and just get the dwarf to low HP so he panics and runs away, you can destroy the steam engine without killing the poor guy. Quest solved, you can collect your reward. BUT WAIT! If the dwarf survived, unlikely as it is (because most players will have Virgil with them who'll chase the dwarf down even if he flees), the town's constable will be pissed at you a few days later because the dwarf told him that it was you who destroyed the steam engine! Oh snap! This makes him refuse to talk to you about anything else, so you can forget about all the quests you can do for him. Now, if the dwarf is dead and the Constable doesn't know it was you who wrecked the engine, he'll ask you to fix the engine, which you can do by bringing him a large gear found in the nearby mine. BUT if you fix the engine for him, Jongle Dunne will feel betrayed by you, and he won't talk to you anymore. He has a second quest for you and is a trader, so both of this will be closed for you. Of course, if you know how to game the situation, you will solve Jongle Dunne's second quest for him first, and only THEN fix the steam engine. But to game the system this way, you need to know all the different factors involved in this questline, and it's really easy to accidentally piss off someone, but it's always clear and reasonable why they're pissed at you.
And this is why Arcanum has the best C&C in any crpg.

Ninjerk

Arcane
My favorite thing about Arcanum is Virgil kicking people to death when they fall over unconscious from exertion.

Let' say I play a cRPG game. Say it's AoD. I like it (I actually did). I'd like to play more games that attempt a similar approach. But if AoD haven't influenced any other developer to make similar games - then I'm probably out of luck. So yes, there is a a clear interest from player's perspective. You want the game types you like to be popular and influential for that reason. On the other hand too much influence brings a risk of a whole sub-genre being created, becoming popular and then going popamole which isn't good either.
But how these things work in practice? If you are playing a cRPG on steam the system will push similar games on you, including AoD among similar games. There is also word to mouth marketing and referencing. See, for example, how many game journos mentioned Age of Decadence in Tyranny reviews. In fact, there is a lot of referencing that is value-neutral, e.g., I recomend Alpha Protocol with caution for anyone who asks about games with C&C. There are no many C&C titles. I'm the very example of how this thing works. I was interested in PoE and W2 and didn't know about AoD until later on.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
About Age of Decadence: it's a good game that experimented into a certain direction and succeeded at doing what it wanted to do. But is this the direction RPGs should involve into? Or, on a more subjective level, is it the direction I would like RPGs to develop into, or the direction I would have developed the Fallout/Arcanum style of RPG into if I had been in VD's place? No, it's not. Which just goes to show that there are so many different potential avenues for the classic RPG to develop into, and AoD is just one of those avenues.
It’s somewhat reductive to fit Age of Decadence in the box a spiritual sucessor to FO, don’t you thinK? The game obviously drink in too many pots (the FOs, Arcanum, Darklands, RoA2, PS:T, Prelude to Darkness) to have a personality of its own. You need to ask Vince how many games influence him in regard to combat system. I would bet that he would probably mention JA2 and all the well-known strategy games.

In its essence, it can be put into the same tradition as Fallout 1, 2, and Arcanum. Sure, it's inspired by more than just those games, and has plenty of ideas of its own, but even its interface is copied from Fallout and Vince has always held up Fallout as his #1 inspiration, so it's fair to say the game is a Fallout/Arcanum style RPG since that is the line of tradition that AoD follows the most. I didn't claim it was a spiritual successor to Fallout, in fact all I did was call it a "FO/Arcanum style of RPG", which definitely applies to it. I have a nice little design document for my own idea of a "perfect RPG", and while it incorporates several ideas from different sources of inspiration, including Morrowind, Gothic, Prelude to Darkness, and P&P systems such as GURPS, I would still say that Arcanum is my #1 source of inspiration and the one RPG that I like the most. For Vince and AoD, this game would be Fallout.

While AoD serves up a massive amount of choice and consequence for the player, it also feels like it's railroading the player to a certain extent, and focuses more on providing the player with a couple of distinct paths than it focuses on providing the player with an open playing field filled with role playing opportunities.
Because your choices are meaningful and impact the game world, which on its turn reacts to your decisions with further action, whereas in most cRPGs the gameworld is a mere punching bag that stands passive while the might player in shinning armour walks all over it. You have been spoiled by ego-pandering focused gameplay for decades and now you face meaningful choices and the only thing you can see is a noose around your neck. What you call good gameplay I call the ability to do make non-narrative choices that have no meaningful impact the gameworld, is the freedom to press switches to see doors opening.

What exactly do you define as non-narrative choices without meaningful impact? Would you count the decision of how to tackle a level in Deus Ex as such? Because Deus Ex offers you a couple of levels where the way you approach it doesn't really change the story, but provides a different gameplay experience and a different form of challenge. Like the choice between stealthy approach and going Rambo, or the choice between climbing up a ladder and infiltrating the house from the rooftop, or unlocking a backdoor that leads to the basement. These are meaningful gameplay choices, even though they have no effect on the narrative whatsoever, and, just like the dialog skillchecks in AoD, they cater to different types of characters. A char with lockpicking and sneaking as the most developed skills will go for a stealthy approach, a char with weapon skills will go for combat, etc etc. It's meaningful because it has a direct impact on how you play the game.

In this way, as inspired as it may be by Fallout and Arcanum, it deviates rather significantly from those two games. In Fallout, you're released upon the world and can go anywhere and do anything right from the start. Go to Junktown, help either Gizmo or Kilian, or neither of them, just ignore it, don't even have to visit the place. Same with every other place. The game presents you with locations and quest opportunities, and some quests are mutually exclusive, and some offer choices that affiliate you with a certain faction, but you can also just ignore everything and head straight for the water chip and then the Master if you have previous game-knowledge and know where to find them. Similar with Arcanum: while this one has a more linear main quest with more steps in-betweeen (go to BMC, go to Wheel Clan, go to Qintarra, find Min Gorad etc etc), every location in the game offers you several quests, sometimes with conflicting sides to choose, and you can do whatever you want. You're never railroaded into anything and often get the opportunity to double-cross your employers, too.
In Age of Decadence you can also jump entire segments to reach certain locations earlier if you know how to do it, but strangely enough this stuff is promptly ignored as railroading or whatever. The double standards always pop up in this discussions. It is perfectly okay to praise text-adventure options in Darklands, but in Age of Decadence the same thing is railroading or CYOA. The hypocrisy is appalling.

The fact about AoD is that most choices will lock you into a certain path, which some people perceive as being railroaded. The way AoD loves to teleport the player straight to a location rather than letting him walk there himself also contributes to that feeling. While Vince had a good reason for the frequent teleports - he wanted to cut out the boring parts where you walk from A to B - they make the game feel more like a CYOA to many people, because they often take away some amount of player agency. There's often no option to say "No, fuck you, I'm not going to follow you out of town now I'm going to stay a while and dick around a bit more", instead you get told "Well after your actions here the guards are out to get you so you better leave the city ASAP" and are teleported out, with no say in the matter. Even a choice like saying "So? Let the guards come, I'm not afraid." and then throwing an unwinnable fight at the player would make the player feel more in control. It's not a double standard, because no other RPG teleports you out of a location as frequently as AoD does.

This is great quest design with choice and consequence that doesn't force the player into a railroad. … AoD's structure is more of a tree-like structure with several branches, which all have branches of their own. So you have the legion branch, the assassins branch, the merchants branch, the thieves branch. Within each of these you have at least two branches, too. But once you're within a branch, you can't hop over to another. Like, if you joined the assassins you can't betray them for the thieves and join them instead later on. You can only make choices that are applicaple within the assassin branch: there's no "I'll betray my faction to the leader of another faction" kind of thing.
You can betray every faction in the game. You can literally walk from the building of your faction and make propositions to other sides. If you betray any faction in the game, you have more quests, and problems down the road and different events in other areas of the map. You can fail inside a quest and this will lead to a different path. If you don’t know that, you didn’t do your homework, you ae attacking a straw man. But the reason for your sloppy homework is that all this talk about quest design is a smoke screen for another thing, namely, the fact that your options are gated by stats and skills. That’s what eating you. If in all those games I could kill things for the lulz and see different outcomes, how come I can’t do the same thing in Age of Decadence? The answer is simple: you can’t because the game takes character building seriously. You just don’t get to choose to kill whoever you want when you feel like it, even if this look cool and feel awesum! That’s what you really wanted to say, but can’t say openly because it will make you sound like a idiot. That’s usual in this discussions. You want to criticise the game for its design logic, but can’t do that without looking like a idiot so you resort to euphemisms and red herrings (railroald design, etc.) that express your feelings but can’t really address what’s eating you. It doesn’t seem like you provide any new criticism besides the ones that have been repeated over and over in other threads in the past years, issues that have been discussed to death.

You're quite wrong there. I freely admit that I occasionally use Cheat Engine to raise my stats and skills, even wrote so in my original post at some point, so the gating never bothered me. Heck, even in my first playthrough without cheating up my stats, it didn't bother me. So your assessment that "your options are gated by stats and skills, that's what's eating you" is completely and entirely wrong, since I have absolutely zero issue with that and even approve of that kind of thing. It's an RPG, after all, where your character build should determine what you're able to do and what you aren't able to do. And I've played it often enough to know there are plenty of different paths within each branch of the story. First time I played was as an assassin, I was able to either stay loyal to that assassin leader chick or betray her at some point, and that was a cool decision. I made a savegame and tried both options. And the fact that the game offers you so many paths is something I like about it, you keep claiming I'm bashing AoD but I'm not. I'm merely criticizing its relatively rigid structure. Yes, you can betray every faction in the game - but you can't do so freely at every point in the game. You can't just walk up to the leader of the Commercium and say "Hey boyo, I'm part of the assassin guild but I decided I don't like these cunts anymore, you wanna have me instead?" Now, realistically, he'd tell you to fuck off because he doesn't just hire any random defector that comes onto him, but the thing is that you can't even make the offer. At least in my experience, one you make a faction choice you only get chances of betraying your faction during the actual faction quests and can't just walk up to some other dude and tell him you'd rather work for his group.

The overall result is that the game's structure feels rather rigid, more like a CYOA that leads you from one choice event to the next, instead of a more traditional RPG where you explore on your own and occasionally get to make a choice when you encounter one. Again, since you seem to think I'm bashing the game, I enjoyed AoD and played through it more than once, and will play through it again because I haven't seen every path the game has to offer yet, but I still feel like the game's structure is relatively rigid and feels CYAO-like in many aspects. It opens up in its later half, around when you leave Ganezzar and get to explore several ruins on your own, but up to that point I often got the feeling of being forced into certain roads by the game even though realistically, I could have chosen differently.

Lockpicking, for example, is only used in the thieves questline. When I played an assassin, I was surprised how the thieving skills were essentially useless and the only real viable character builds were critical strike guy and combat guy. Same with the merchant, you essentially have to play a talky guy and stealth skills, for example, are useless. Even though it would have been cool to approach a merchant's guild quest with stealth by breaking into the mansion of a guild rival, stealing some blackmail material, then using that against him instead of your speech skills.
We are discussed this topic in other threads. I guess you weren’t following it. There are two reasons for that. First, the gameworld can only be compelling if some skills are more useful than others. That restriction is imposed for obvious reasons. You can’t expect a lock in every quest or piece of the map to justify your investment in the skill. The alternative to that is underwhelming, e.g., something like W2, with toasters, alarms, mines and all kinds of nonsensical shit spread in the map to justify each player investment. What is worse, because you can’t invest in every skill, you will be punished constantly to compensate the fact that the developer is trying to justify the existence of a certain skill. You didn’t invest in explosives? Well, good luck with that. Now you will have your ass blown up because of that, because there are mines everywhere. Second, every single cRPG out there have some skills that are less useful than others. This happens not only because of the restrictions imposed by the gameworld, but also because of the lac of game development resources. It’s complete hypocrisy to single out Age of Decadence to make this kind of criticism. Third, lockpick has plenty uses of key points in the game that have nothing to do with each faction. In fact, to analyse the skills as if their existence was justified and need to be completed used in every single faction is an absurd standard that ignores their use in other parts of the gameworld and in quests that are not faction related. Bur hey, since it’s Vault Dweller game let’s criticise him for not doing the impossible in the most uncharitable manner and pretend the other games were perfect. It’s “I can’t believe that my neighbour won the Nobel Prize” syndrome. People criticise this game too much.

I'm not suggesting to fill every level of the game with junk that you can use your skills on just to make the skills "useful". Having a dozen locked chests and damaged toasters on each map just so you can use your skills on insignificant objects isn't a meaningful application of character skills, anyway. And putting a minefield into a mandatory main quest area just to make the disarm skill useful is shit design, unless you're putting the mines in front of an optional area that contains side quest material, because that would be the same kind of gating that AoD uses: content you can only access with a certain character build. Nothing wrong with that. But that's not what I was talking about here, that's actually very far away from what I was talking about.

No, what I'm talking about is multiple approaches and opportunities for using skills that make sense within the context of a quest. To me, the ideal quest is one where the designer has put some thought into designing an area - be it a dungeon or something similar - and the goals the player might want to reach in that area in a way that allows for every possible realistic approach - within the constraints of the game's mechanics - to be attempted either successfully or unsuccessfully.

I know why I shouldn't do this, but I'm just going to take a quest I'm currently designing for Realms Beyond to illustrate what I mean. We're not revealing quests yet and it's not even the final, fully worked-out version yet, but it serves to illustrate what I strive for in quest design. A pissed off customer who got screwed over by a crooked merchant who sells fake jewelry that's actually just cheap glass, and fake magic items that don't do anything, hires you to either teach the crooked merchant a lesson or dig up some dirt on him so the authorities are compelled to jail him despite the bribes he regularly pays them. The goal of this quest is rather open: find blackmail material and/or scare the merchant into ceasing his crooked ways.

Of course, a quest like this should offer multiple approaches, some of which have a higher chance for success than others. You can just approach the merchant's front door in broad daylight, but then the guards will tell you to fuck off. If you try to push through anyway, they'll try to stop you and call for the city guards, who will promptly try to subdue and arrest you. Because, you know, trying to break into a man's home is illegal. Brute force approach won't work, at least not this way. You can also wait till nightfall, then try to get in through a window or the back door used by servants. Which one do you take? Depends on whether you're good at climbing or at lockpicking. So you made it in, what now? Best try to stay stealthy, if the guards see you it'll come to a fight and you'll either have to run away or leave a trail of bodies, which isn't the best way to solve this quest (remember, you wanna scare the guy, not make it look like a burglary). Therefore this quest naturally favors stealthy characters. Now, there's several rooms to explore and several things to do. You might go into his bedroom and just drop a letter on his nightstand, along with a dagger, to offer a warning: stop being a crook or face the consequences. We're watching you. You might search his office and if you have a high perception, you might find a secret compartment containing files that connect him to the criminal underworld. Nice blackmail material! Or you might find his wife wandering about, and decide to beat her up or even kill her if you're a combatfag who wants to solve everything with violence.

Now, that's skillchecks for climbing, lockpicking, stealth, search, and combat all in one quest, and you don't need to be good at all of these - it's perfectly fine if you're only good at stealth (sneak in, put the letter on the nightstand to intimidate the guy, sneak out) or if you're only good at combat (climb in through the window, kill the guard, then punch the merchant's wife to unconsciousness to leave him a message). But not all of these solutions are equally good. The first choice, whether to climb in through a window or pick the lock on the back door, merely determines where in the house you start, which is a minor but potentially significant gameplay choice gated behind one simple skillcheck (if you're good at lockpicking but suck at climbing, the window approach is closed to you) since one path might be more heavily guarded than the other, one might be closer to the rooms that are of interest than the other, etc. Then, the way you solve the quest is also of significance. Got detected by the guard and beat him into unconsciousness? He has a rough description of your face, and he can tell his boss that someone broke in. Got detected by the guard and killed him? Leaving a trail of bodies is unelegant, isn't it? Your employer will pay you a higher reward if you aren't detected by the guard at all and leave him alive, because you did a clean job. So your actions have a direct consequence of the quest resolution. When you meet the merchant's wife, you can tie her up, then beat her up or even kill her - or interrogate her in an attempt to find out where he might hide his shit. She might drop a hint that you should look in his office if you want anything, if you're good enough at intimidating. Nice, another skillcheck! Oh, and beating her up to leave a message will also be judged as "inelegant" by your employer, and outright killing her will botch the quest because he hired you to leave a message, NOT to commit murder. The ideal quest solution is to sneak inside, don't be detected by anyone, leave an intimidating letter, and find the blackmail materials by yourself, then get out without leaving a trace.

As you can see, this is one single quest offering wildly different skill checks, and none of these skill checks are absolutely essential for progressing the game. You can finish the quest even if the guard detects you, but it will result in a lowered quest reward for being "inelegant" during the job. You can outright fail the quest by being overzealous in your intimidation attempt and murdering the merchant's wife, which isn't what your employer wanted at all. To find the blackmail materials, you have to pass a perception check, and if you managed to successfully interrogate the merchant's wife with your intimidation skill, the perception check will be lowered since you have a rough idea where to look (but she doesn't know where exactly he hides his shit so you still need to pass a perception check). You can return to your employer without the blackmail material, OR with only the blackmail material but no message left on the nightstand.

This means that the quest offers different degrees of success and failure. There's no hard "if you don't have this skill, you will absolutely fail this quest completely and entirely", instead there are degrees of failure that can potentially lower your quest reward and might even have consequences further into the game, as well as degrees of success that similarly raise your quest reward and might have consequences further into the game.

This is the kind of quest design I'm talking about. You're given a quest with the goal "I want you to do X for me." So you set out to do X, but there are multiple ways of achieving this goal X. And which of these ways you take depends on your character build as well as your own creativity, since the game doesn't just give you a handful of options to choose from in a dialogue screen, CYOA style. Instead, you have to sneak through a place and explore each room by yourself.

tl;dr: the best approach to quest design is to come up with a goal for the player, then design the location that goal is set in while thinking about the different ways a player might realistically be able to tackle that goal, and take every possible skill the player's character might have into consideration. Of course, in the quest I described above the player's throwing skill or music skill wouldn't play any role at all, but this kind of quest design doesn't mean that every quest has to have a solution for every single character, and every single skill. Instead, every quest should offer the player realistic approaches and let the player use those skills that would realistically be useful in the given scenario. Which is... pretty much what you want in RPG quests too, isn't it?

This is quite different to a more goal-oriented and open quest design as we can see it in, for example, the first quest in Gothic 2: get into the city. There are multiple ways to get into the city, but the game never puts the choice before you and says: "Now you have these three methods to choose from: become a farmer so they let you in as a citizen, pay them a bribe so they let you in, or sneak around the wall and find a back entrance." Instead, you have to figure out these options by yourself and then choose the one that seems best to you. This is the kind of quest design that just puts a goal in front of you, then lets you tackle that goal with all the tools the game provides you.
The immediate downsides of this approach: (1) the gameworld is not realistic as it could be; (2) the player don’t have the same impact on the gameworld as he could.

How does this quest design approach lead to the gameworld not being as realistic as it could be? Just because the player has to figure out things by himself, or has multiple approaches to any given situation? What? How does that quest from Gothic 2 that I mentioned here make the gameworld any less realistic or believable? It's even a quest that VD explicitly praised in some forum posts, if I remember correctly, because it's a great example for player choice done right.

As to your second point, I guess here we just differ in what we consider more important. This quest from Gothic 2 is rife with gameplay choices, but narratively the result of each of these choices is the same: you get into the city. So while there isn't any narrative consequence for your approach, there certainly is a gameplay consequence. And gameplay consequences are just as, if not even more imporant than narrative consequences.

And that's the direction I would take the classic RPG into: an open quest design where you're confronted with goal-oriented quests (get X, find out X, kill X etc) and then you can tackle these quests in any way you want, depending on the skillset of your character. Stealth, combat, diplomacy, all are valid approaches.
What if the quest can only be solve by a specific combinations of skills you don’t have? What about the combination of skills and stats? What about the difference of design between side quests and main quests? What if the quests involves a immensely difficult task that nobody ever did before? Or maybe you can just assume that whatever choice of investment in skills should be enough a priori? That’s what I don’t get it. You want to pretend that you care about the player’s choices and character building, but the only way to implement both is by sacrificing the logic of the gameworld and the consistency of the character building. Does it even make any sense to assume that the player can’t have an unforeseen problem that leads to failure and requires reloading? You think that the gameworld should be like they always are in most cRPGs: an amusement park so that the player can do whatever he wants given his previous allocations of SPs. Anything that goes against that is labelled as railroading or bad design. What a bunch of hooey.

I brought an example of what I understand by this idea of "goal-oriented quest design" above, by describing a quest I am currently designing myself for Realms Beyond. If you consider that kind of quest, which offers you multiple skill checks and varying degrees of success and failure, as "an amusement park so that the player can do whatever he wants" I guess your opinion is just plain wrong. Because having open, goal-oriented quest design doesn't necessarily mean the game lets every player accomplish every quest perfectly. Instead, it means that every quest offers a realistic variety of approaches for different character builds, and each approach has its own challenges and varying degrees of success and failure, rather than just a hard "either you pass or you don't" hard skillcheck.

In AoD, there is often only one approach that is truly valid, and that approach depends on which faction questline you are in. Going through the merchant questline as a pure fighter or pure stealth guy is impossible, or at least will end up giving you terrible results because you suck at all the options the quest presents to you, while the quests never allow you to make use of those skills you actually possess.
As it should. In the real world your affiliations matter, and you need the proper skills to solve the problems the world throws at you. If you don’t have the proper skills you fail. The idea that you shouldn’t fail given your previous investment in skills is pure egocentrism because that’s not how things work in practice. Maybe you are right, but in this case we should acknowledge that cRPGs can’t have consistent character building or gameworld.

Again, I never claimed that every character should be able to overcome every challenge. But there should be some alternative ways of tackling quests and situations rather than just one rigid approach that lets you win, and that's it. Many of AoD's questlines feel like there's really just one optimal character build that you need to succeed in this questline, and there are no other approaches. Sometimes, it feels like a puzzle game where you have to figure out how exactly to distribute your skillpoints, rather than an RPG where you try to get along as best as you can with the skillset you have. And that is my main criticism of AoD - a game I like and enjoy - its structure just feels too rigid in some places, too set in stone. Too many cases where the game says, "Be this exact character build or fail". Again, I don't want every quest to offer an easy way out to every single character build, but there should still be multiple approaches and unorthodox ways to approach certain quests and situations. The fact is that if you play through the merchant questline, you will NEVER encounter a situation where a lockpick skill might be useful. Why not? It would be a cool little thing to have in there, something for a third or a fourth playthrough where you experiment with a talker-thief hybrid character. But this kind of thing just doesn't exist, and that drags AoD down a little.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom