Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saving

JuJu said:
I know russian because Latvia is a post-soviet country - russians are about 30% of all inhabitants. I was actually born in soviet russia :D
Ah, of course. Me = the retard.

JuJu said:
Not the case for me, had enough nanites to get ressurected and not to risk while hacking. It didn't worry me much. Well, yes maybe it wasn't a good example.
D'oh. I didn't even think of the QBR-stations. I rather reload than using them. I think I didn't bother to activate them even on my first time through. I blame the munchkin in me. :oops:

Hazelnut said:
This still needs careful handling, Gothic is good except for the fact that 50% of your gold can be taken by the victor, but there's no banks to store it safely. Mitigated somewhat by the fact that you can get it back by beating the person who walloped you previously I admit, but sometimes it still causes a reload. (case in point: had 40k+ of the 50k I needed for a quest, got into an accidental fight by doing something dumb with the controls, failed to escape, got beaten down and lost over 20k! Fucking reload time for me.)
This reminds me, there will be banks in AoD, right? I think I recall a thread where it was mentioned, but a quick search gave me nothing. It was mentioned along with random bandit encounters and non-lethal combat. If you got fucked over by bandits you only lost the money you hadn't put in the bank, or something along those lines.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Commercium, the merchants guild, will take your money for safekeeping and/or investing. You can withdraw your money in any "branch".

Fez

Erudite
You can put items into a chest in Gothic, I believe. Or you can invest the gold in items and no one will take your inventory, only your gold that you are carrying and active weapon.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Fez said:
You can put items into a chest in Gothic, I believe. Or you can invest the gold in items and no one will take your inventory, only your gold that you are carrying and active weapon.

Both good strategies, but not ones I was happy with. The first because traveling to a specific chest by teleport took a long time on my piece of shit PC, and the second because then you have to find merchants with enough gold when you need to raise the money. It wasn't even a minor issue to me really, but bears mentioning when a design is intended to stop failure reloads. But AoD has banks, so :D

Wild Slop

Arcane
minor question

are there profiles?

if there is more then one player in the house these can be handy

**side question

What of the sound effects in the game?
How did you do them/ Where did you get them?
is there a place where you can get free stock sound fx that’s ok with you using them in a game thats sold? -i wouldnt really think so, just curious

Psilon

Erudite
Wild Slop said:
minor question

are there profiles?

if there is more then one player in the house these can be handy

**side question

What of the sound effects in the game?
How did you do them/ Where did you get them?
is there a place where you can get free stock sound fx that’s ok with you using them in a game thats sold? -i wouldnt really think so, just curious

I second the request for profiles, but only at the user account level. You shouldn't be writing to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or storing saved games in the app directory anyway if you want this thing to run on Vista without undue annoyance. Beyond that, who cares? We're well past the days of Only Six Save Slots Ever, so what's likely to need different profiles?

And yes, Wild Slop, you can buy royalty-free sound effects CDs. We've got several where I work. No idea what Iron Tower does for their audio, though.

JuJu

Novice
Well actually i like save slots. It is easy to organize your saves that way. I usually use only 3-6 of them, but you should make more. The main thing is that they all could be seen on one screen. I hate when i have to scroll for my saves(PS:T).

RPG and profiles somehow doesn't feel right... I doubt that there will be a lot of people who will share the same PC for AoD. If you are planning to make different profiles for different characters, well I don't think it would be a good idea. You probably won't be playing more than one character at a time and if you want to keep progress of every character you make throughout the game you will need helluva lot of saves.

That reminds me i'd like to see the save/load screen. I think i haven't seen main menu either... Do you have some nice art to appreciate while loading?

Hmm i'm asking a lot of questions here... Btw VD you haven't answered my previous ones yet.

Psilon

Erudite
Flashback said:
No profiles at the moment, and we never planned to add those anyway.
Well, all that I really said was that you should store your game saves/preferences in a per-user rather than per-system location. C:\Users\ on most Vista systems, C:\Documents and Settings\ on XP, C:\WINNT\PROFILES\ on 2000. This is basically free--just pass CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA to SHGetFolderPath().

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Psilon said:
Well, all that I really said was that you should store your game saves/preferences in a per-user rather than per-system location. C:\Users\ on most Vista systems, C:\Documents and Settings\ on XP, C:\WINNT\PROFILES\ on 2000. This is basically free--just pass CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA to SHGetFolderPath().

What's wrong with local subfolders on Vista? Say, "./data/saves/" ?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
JuJu said:
Do you have some nice art to appreciate while loading?
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10674

Fucking awesome...

I may be considered a graphic whore for this, but I wished the game looked like that. The second picture is simple breathtaking, depicting the destruction the war brought in a splendid manner.

Anyway, to do something like that would be impossible, and I really like the current graphics. Speaking of them, what are the limitations of the engine? Can it use normal maps? Max resolution of the textures? Poly count? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Elhoim said:
Anyway, to do something like that would be impossible, and I really like the current graphics. Speaking of them, what are the limitations of the engine? Can it use normal maps? Max resolution of the textures? Poly count? Thanks!
Think of Half-Life 1 and make conclusions.

Wild Slop

Arcane
still
i liked how they were in Warcraft 3 (bad game, as i'm sure you know)

each time it would just load the same profile up as last time until you said otherwise
kept everything nice and separate

on this PC i tend to have 2 -3 different players on a given game, if its decent enough
last one was new gothic

It doesn’t happen that often, but occasionally people save over each others games
We do have like 2 - 3 saves a piece as a “safety”

Hardly a concern
not really thank worthy or shake an angry fist
Just a feature that may have been nice … to some
… as in just me
haha

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Flashback said:
Elhoim said:
Think of Half-Life 1 and make conclusions.

So you are going to do AoD a FPS! Oblivion fans rejoice! :D

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe you could consider an exception for the buckler, if such an object exists in AoD.

You could make a small buckler a special choice for fighters relying on block that don't want to hurt their offensive abilities. I assume its values wouldn't be good enough to make it a no-brainer, but it could be useful for characters with low combat skills or experienced fighters whose natural block skill is good enough that they don't need a large block bonus.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Buckler gives you only 5 points penalty, if I'm not mistaken. If your weapon skill is 75, it goes down to 70. Hardly a huge loss.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Well, the idea was to make the buckler stand out. Not having a penalty would make the buckler more efficient than other shields, while the small effect could prevent it from being overpowered. It was meant as a concession to Balor, besides I like gimmicks.

I don't know the exact game mechanics though. Would a player with a buckler be able to block arrows just as well as a player with a larger shield, provided they have the same effective blocking skill?

Vault Dweller

Developer
No, of course not. Buckler offers a very minor protection against arrows, while tower shield makes one practically invulnerable to ranged attacks.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Well, I wasn't sure how sophisticated your game mechanics were. Sometimes you seemed intent on keeping combat rules simple. Very simple.

Anyway, in that case it could work. Which doesn't mean it has to, of course. It might.

PS: And I realize this is the wrong thread. But what gives, now.

Vault Dweller

Developer
It might.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom