Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sauce: A John Dies At The End/Lovecraftian "Gogolithic Hell-Beasts of Writhing Spider Bears" RPG

T3CH

Novice
Hello Forum!

This is my first post so I thought it only appropriate to start a topic about my most unique rpg that I've run/am running: Sauce; or better pronounced, "Sou-sssssssss".

I'm using the highly adaptable Unisystem (which is what All Flesh Must Be Eaten uses) to create a universe similar to that in the novel "John Dies At The End" written by David Wong, which I implore you all to give a read.

Before I go into detail as to what makes up this RPG, I'd like to note that anyone who intends to read John Dies At The End should do that first, so as to not have things indirectly spoiled for you.

Now...

The idea is that the players have at some point in their past come in contact with either the street drug Soy Sauce (which acts like a dimension doorway inadvertently allowing the taker to think at hyperspeed and reach a celestial state of out-of-bodyness) or some form of celestial/ cosmic force. Think Lovecraft.

Sometimes immediate, sometimes built up over time, they are exposed to the real world living amongst ours. Once seen, things can't be unseen.

Before you know it, the players are being attacked by lustful vending machines, hellishly mutated come-to-life McDonalds Mascots and if they dare progress, eventually nightmarish horrors of inexplicable madness. All the while a story is developing around the characters siphoning from their jaded past and current actions.

Of course, this is a Pulp style story...

The players find that harnessing the power of nonsense can work greatly to their advantage.
"Break open those crates! They must have ammo in them!" actually usually works given the correct situation. This isn't to say that the players get to do anything they want because they figure it so, but it does mean that if they play their cards right, dinosaur mounts aren't out of the question.

As they battle both lesser demons and greater gods of destruction, they begin to learn what they can and what they can't combat by earthly means. This RPG is heavily story based, with myself attempting to grow the players entwined with the story of their characters. Sure, death isn't something that happens (often) with my party, but equally discerning consequences can result from bad decisions (permanent maiming, the death of adorable NPCs and occasionally, the beaten in skull of one’s own mother had they invoked the wrong powers without the proper countermeasures.)

So, that's the game I'm running atm. Was just wondering what you all here on RPG Codex think of my little play-around.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Exploding-head.gif

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Ive read John Dies at the End and if your planning to do some CYOA style rpg harnessing the power of nonsense... well that sounds pretty cool :salute:

edit: Give us some After Action Reports/transcripts then!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Can't say I've tried Sauce, although the setting does sound similar to some con scenarios I've run/read. (Doktor Slem, anyone?)
All flesh must be eaten is pretty neat though. We ran it as a oneshot where the players were b-list movie actors acting in a zombie movie that turned out to have real zombies in it. (And one of the players was later reincarnated as a combine harvester. His killcount went through the roof).
It sounds like a slapstick version of the White Wolf "Ooooh you are spooky emogoths and noone knows what the world is really like but yooooouuuu" spiel. (Mage and paradox is a good parallel). I'm not sure I'd want to run it for an extended period of time, but as a oneshot it could be pretty awesome. Kind of like Paranoia. (Although paranoia is always awesome for any length of time. All glory to Friend Computer). Maybe with a dash of Feng Shuei on top.

Ultimately though, I don't think most people around these parts are at peace enough with their inner LARPer to run something without a very rigid rule system. Someday perhaps :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom