Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Satellite Reign - Syndicate Wars spiritual successor from original devs

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
As far as the visuals go, Syndicate Wars may have made for ugly screenshots, but in action, it was damned impressive in a way that the original game couldn't even dream of. A typical level included FUCK-YOU-sized spider tanks shooting huge lasers all over the place until I called in a freakin' mini-nuclear strike that obliterated them (and all builings in a three-block radius) with bodies and now-very-destroyed hovercars flying everywhere from the blast... I mean come on, there was a definite appeal to that sort of thing back in 1995.

Not to mention the freely rotatable camera, and decent reflections and highlights, all done without the aid of a 3D accelerator.

You could argue that Syndicates 1's detailed 2d sprites was better over Syndicate Wars crappy 90's 3d engine any day.
However, this might be a case of ones memory making things better than they were...

I loved both games, but they were too different for them to really bill Syndicate Wars as a sequel. Still, a lot of the effects in Syndicate Wars really sold the game for me. The look and sound of the lasers. The voiceovers. Hell, I even enjoyed the gameplay, though it was definitely simplified from the original. The only exception being the way the only way to pull the camera out enough was to use the sniper rifle, and then the sniper rifle would end up having a range far longer than your field of view.

I remember the original being more challenging, but not in a gratifying way. Some of the final levels of the expansion pack had me wanting to shove my keyboard... THROUGH MY fucking EYE, they were so frustrating. But for some reason I remember thinking they executed the concept of you being an evil CEO using secret agents to conquer the market much better than in the sequel. The sequel went for some kind of "technology vs luddite cultists" thing that struck me as boring and out of place.

Its true that the gameplay was more fast paced than the original, but imo the larger and more complex maps made for much more interesting and involved gameplay. Most of the missions had scripted surprises and twists inside the level itself, and there was MUCH more to actually do in each mission, as compared with the original's maps who - while graphically detailed - didn't have banks you could rob, buildings to break, or as many interesting weapons and devices to find.

But yeah, I was disappointed that the drug use system had been simplified

The 3D, for its time, was superb.
The explosions and wreckability of the landscape was great.
The weapons, overpowered as they may have been, were awesome to utilize against your opponents and gut-wretching terrifying if used against you; what more could be expected from warefare in a sci-fi dystopian future world?
The tactical element was there, although it may have been bit obscured by the fast pace of the action for certain slower players (no offense meant, some like it slower pace), if anything it made the planning and execution of tactics count more as you had to think things through fast and on the fly at times or revise and adapt to the unfolding situation quickly (them Bullfrog devs sure loved dropping surprises in your lap, then again, when does ever a mission goes exactly according to briefing intel. and your plans?).

But yea.. The gameplay itself was pretty linear and not sandbox - to those who expect overly freedom, it would bog the game down.

The agents were quite powerful, but you needed to know how to tinker with their psycho drug and shield settings. With the correct setting in the right environment (and the right armament) a single agent is a rampaging Schwarzenegger.

I like all the little "hidden" bonuses, such as robbing banks or hitting science labs or other super-agents that happen to be nearby (or carry a new awesome weapon) that aren't in the mission briefing at all and you have no knowledge of them or zero motivation to go to where they're at for but are just happen to be found in the area and if you explore a bit you can piggybank on them for quite a bit of an edge leap.

Some of the end-game items are complete failure, such as the stasis field and displacertron, this made me very sad because those are the exact gizmos you expect to give you that winning edge.
I would say they were wronged by a combination of glitches (such as the bug that makes AI npcs shoot at displaced persons, but you couldn't aim at them, so this made it fail both for offense as well as defense purposes) and bad settings (balance is good dear devs, but so is making something actully be effective is equally important).

The jibe people have with SW by and large is that they played Syndicate and expected Syndicate - agreed, this is a major hammer to throw on the head of bullfrog, even though it wasn't titled Syndicate 2 (or as an expansion ala Syndicate: The Syndicate Wars), it was clearly lauded as much as such and banked on the brand name to sell it.

However, barring betrayal of players expectations, as its own game I liked SW very much overall and enjoyed it thoroughly..

I think Satellite Reign will be amazing :)

SparkTR

Novice
Have they said how they're getting funding for this? The Kickstarter wasn't much and Australia is a pretty fucking expensive place especially to develop a game. I'd hate for all this cool tech be made only to be paired with a short 5 hour product due to monetary constraints.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Have they said how they're getting funding for this? The Kickstarter wasn't much and Australia is a pretty fucking expensive place especially to develop a game. I'd hate for all this cool tech be made only to be paired with a short 5 hour product due to monetary constraints.
True, but if they sell enough / build a brand, it gives them financial momentum for a more expansive sequel / expansion / whatever. Look at the short arc of Shadowrun Returns for an example.

Branm

Learned

They did announce while kickstarter was running that they had gotten additional funding from the Aussie government among some other sources. No clue on actual amounts though. Thankfully these guys aren't noobs when it comes to development. For whats it's worth, A family friend of mine (Rory Donelly) who used to head THQ in Australia had nothing but great things to say about Mike D.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
http://fat.gfycat.com/FondWeakHogget.webm

http://zippy.gfycat.com/ThirstyKindlyHake.webm

http://zippy.gfycat.com/MiserableMeagerGnat.webm

Unfortunately this forum is unable to embed these (they're like gif/videos)

Once again these guys seem to know where it's at regarding using resources wisely.

This seriously kick the ass of some kickstarters with way bigger budget.

Not hating on this game (environment looks decent for this stage of development) but this is just a pretty standard 3d level layout. Not sure whats so special or impressive about it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As far as the visuals go, Syndicate Wars may have made for ugly screenshots, but in action, it was damned impressive in a way that the original game couldn't even dream of. A typical level included FUCK-YOU-sized spider tanks shooting huge lasers all over the place until I called in a freakin' mini-nuclear strike that obliterated them (and all builings in a three-block radius) with bodies and now-very-destroyed hovercars flying everywhere from the blast... I mean come on, there was a definite appeal to that sort of thing back in 1995.

Not to mention the freely rotatable camera, and decent reflections and highlights, all done without the aid of a 3D accelerator.

You could argue that Syndicates 1's detailed 2d sprites was better over Syndicate Wars crappy 90's 3d engine any day.
However, this might be a case of ones memory making things better than they were...

I loved both games, but they were too different for them to really bill Syndicate Wars as a sequel. Still, a lot of the effects in Syndicate Wars really sold the game for me. The look and sound of the lasers. The voiceovers. Hell, I even enjoyed the gameplay, though it was definitely simplified from the original. The only exception being the way the only way to pull the camera out enough was to use the sniper rifle, and then the sniper rifle would end up having a range far longer than your field of view.

I remember the original being more challenging, but not in a gratifying way. Some of the final levels of the expansion pack had me wanting to shove my keyboard... THROUGH MY fucking EYE, they were so frustrating. But for some reason I remember thinking they executed the concept of you being an evil CEO using secret agents to conquer the market much better than in the sequel. The sequel went for some kind of "technology vs luddite cultists" thing that struck me as boring and out of place.

Its true that the gameplay was more fast paced than the original, but imo the larger and more complex maps made for much more interesting and involved gameplay. Most of the missions had scripted surprises and twists inside the level itself, and there was MUCH more to actually do in each mission, as compared with the original's maps who - while graphically detailed - didn't have banks you could rob, buildings to break, or as many interesting weapons and devices to find.

But yeah, I was disappointed that the drug use system had been simplified

The weapons, overpowered as they may have been, were awesome to utilize against your opponents and gut-wretching terrifying if used against you; what more could be expected from warefare in a sci-fi dystopian future world?
The tactical element was there, although it may have been bit obscured by the fast pace of the action for certain slower players (no offense meant, some like it slower pace), if anything it made the planning and execution of tactics count more as you had to think things through fast and on the fly at times or revise and adapt to the unfolding situation quickly (them Bullfrog devs sure loved dropping surprises in your lap, then again, when does ever a mission goes exactly according to briefing intel. and your plans?).

But yea.. The gameplay itself was pretty linear and not sandbox - to those who expect overly freedom, it would bog the game down.

The agents were quite powerful, but you needed to know how to tinker with their psycho drug and shield settings. With the correct setting in the right environment (and the right armament) a single agent is a rampaging Schwarzenegger.

I like all the little "hidden" bonuses, such as robbing banks or hitting science labs or other super-agents that happen to be nearby (or carry a new awesome weapon) that aren't in the mission briefing at all and you have no knowledge of them or zero motivation to go to where they're at for but are just happen to be found in the area and if you explore a bit you can piggybank on them for quite a bit of an edge leap.

Some of the end-game items are complete failure, such as the stasis field and displacertron, this made me very sad because those are the exact gizmos you expect to give you that winning edge.
I would say they were wronged by a combination of glitches (such as the bug that makes AI npcs shoot at displaced persons, but you couldn't aim at them, so this made it fail both for offense as well as defense purposes) and bad settings (balance is good dear devs, but so is making something actully be effective is equally important).

The jibe people have with SW by and large is that they played Syndicate and expected Syndicate - agreed, this is a major hammer to throw on the head of bullfrog, even though it wasn't titled Syndicate 2 (or as an expansion ala Syndicate: The Syndicate Wars), it was clearly lauded as much as such and banked on the brand name to sell it.

However, barring betrayal of players expectations, as its own game I liked SW very much overall and enjoyed it thoroughly..

I think Satellite Reign will be amazing :)

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-...or-successor&p=1370493&viewfull=1#post1370493

Some popamoler from 2008 said:
I loved Syndicate Wars. I also loved X-Com: TFTD & Interceptor. I know I'm going to hate Fallout 3. Take that as you will.

I had no problem with the camera's rotation in Syndicate Wars, infact, I found it quite smooth and helpful.
I did have a problem with the camera not being able to tilt up and down as much as I would like, and sometimes the alpha blending would obscure areas I'd like to see.
Otherwise it was okay.

The game speed, as mentioned, was based on CPU and this does make it a bit of a problem for some machines (I bought SW some years after lunch at trash bin price, but it still ran good on a P120, although on this P4 it runs at blitz-berserk).

The gameplay itself was pretty linear and not sandbox - to those who expect overly freedom, it would bog the game down.

Research and conversion (persuasion/defection recruitment) is an important part of the game as you need grow your little syndicate section onto a major army of scientists and agents.

However, barring betrayal of players expectations, as its own game I liked SW very much overall and enjoyed it thoroughly.

And the rest of his post is from that thread, too. :killit:

Last edited:

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

ZACDXEt.jpg

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Game looks impressive and pretty smooth. I hope they work extensively in optimizing unity for this huge map design, as that seems to be one of it's biggest hurdles in terms of performance.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
We’re currently working towards getting together our first playable build for our alpha backers. Lots and lots and lots (and lots) of bugs need to be squished, but things are steadily moving forward.

Pre-orders
As some of you may have noticed, pledging has now officially closed, marking 12 months since our Kickstarter was officially funded. In place of pledging, we’ll soon have Satellite Reign available to pre-order.

We’ll post an update when pre-orders are available, but we can announce that the Humble Store will be handling deployment of the game for backers of Satellite Reign. Through the Humble Store, you will be able to download a DRM-free copy of the game directly or redeem a Steam key.

buzz

Arcane
http://satellitereign.com/forums/topic/real-time-with-pause/page/3/#post-2818
Hey everyone. Sorry for not being quick to respond. There’s a lot to do around here, and only five people to do it all!

We’ve discussed this internally at length, even back before the Kickstarter. I can say that turn-based combat is definitely off the table, basically for the reasons others have already mentioned here. We have nothing against turn-based combat, we’re all fans of games like X-COM and such, but it would be too difficult to make work with the city simulation, and it’s also just not the experience we’re aiming for.

We’re planning to include a feature which would essentially give a real-time-with-pause experience, should people want to use it. Chris is designing an ability for one of the agents to increase reaction time (which we essentially achieve by greatly slowing down time for a period). During this time, you’ll be able to issue commands to your agents which will all play out simultaneously when time returns to normal.

Given its nature as an ability, it means players will be able to choose whether or not it is part of their gameplay experience. If you want a more intense experience, you can spend those points elsewhere. If you want a chance to breathe and plan your next move, then you can get this ability and play more strategically.

The details such as duration, cooldown, and the magnitude of the time-dilation are all yet to be decided, as we’ve only started prototyping the more basic abilities at this time. Chris could give you more details than I though, I just animate things.
icon_smile.gif

Rest assured, I know both Dean and myself are more partial to the strategic gameplay styles, while Mike and Chris enjoy the faster-paced action, so even internally, there’s a healthy variety of gameplay preferences (not sure what Brent prefers, I think he just wants to include Lego men). We want to make a game we can all enjoy!

Mitch.

:greatjob: I approve this message.

agris

Arcane
Patron
But what about actually pausing and issuing commands? Being penalized in the form of spending a limited resource, this game's equivalent of AP or whatever, doesn't sound very RTwP to me. Space Satan?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I actually like the idea of using action points to give orders while paused. Syndicate was always as much about twitch skills and fast thinking as tactics, and this kind of system will preserve that while adding an extra layer of planning and resource economy on top.

Destroid

Arcane
Why on earth would you want syndicate to be turn based?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom