Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Same-Sex Relationships in DA

Jim Cojones

Prophet
MetalCraze said:
Jim Cojones said:
MetalCraze said:
Well the game will also have a male-to-sheep relationship so pedos are the only layer of population that Bioware didn't cater to in this retarded piece of crap.
Sheep-man sex? Sounds like Troika...

And?
Sex sales bbscure fetishes like zoofilia might help sales alyhough not for a product that aims at selling millions of copies.

Late edit: WTF is this shit? Is it even in English? I can't believe I have written this. :oops:

MetalCraze

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
Next-gen people can't even get a damn thing straight these days

c what i did thar

Jim Cojones said:
Sex sales bbscure fetishes like zoofilia might help sales alyhough not for a product that aims at selling millions of copies.

There is a difference between fucking a sheep described in a one short sentence which wasn't hyped (and which I missed on my walkthrough) and visualizing (and hyping) fucking a guy in the asshole. Notice any difference?

Ch1ef

Scholar
The Feral Kid said:
Nostradumbass said:
modern warfare 2 allowing you to butcher civilians. dragon age allowing you to fuck homos.

Next-gen people can't even get a damn thing straight these days. Like that you're supposed to fuck civilians and butcher homos. I miss my oldskool games.
SO TRUE :cry:

Silellak said:
"Simply know that I have no designs on your independence. I wish only to do what I desire, and if that coincides with what you desire...then so be it," she says. So that's it, she's a sexual libertarian and won't care if I'm a total man-slut, right?

Nope. So the dialogue ends and I'm back to running around camp. I talk to Morrigan again, right away, and it seems that in the intervening seconds, much has changed: "I notice that you are spending a great deal of time with that girl. The bard," she hisses, meaning Leliana. And then, despite the whole independence speech moments before, she also demands a 'her or me' decision. But that's not all -- then she offers me a magic ring, which she can use to track my location at all times!

Hooray for consistent characterization.

Non-sarcastic hooray for realistic portrayal of women!

Btw, the Zevran pick-up line sounds like a reasonable way to approach an iron-clad warrior with a gay proposal.

"Err, yes actually." as if one should take caution from saying, "FUCK OFF, GAY!" Oh wait, Obammy's new Hate Crimes Law just passed. O SHI-

Isn't Zevran a raised-in-a-slum assassin? Breaking his heart in such an assholery way sounds like a horrible, horrible idea

media backlash

Bio is spamming the word "mature" over and over, dunno what will happen

This is what happens when nerds discover interracial gay sex. Instead of a nigger you get a dark-skinned Elf.

Nah, we already have a blonde negroid

Hmmm...what Bio wants to tell us when the two gay options involve dark-skinned party members?

Btw, what determines whether the PC is the active or passive guy in the relationship? Or is it always gonna be a mix?

You know, looking backwards, they've been trying to insert varying degrees of gayness into all their games, with it increasing in each installment. I bet there is someone gay in a high position there.

Nah, they just realized how many yaoi fangirls are fans of their games.

I expect thousands of "KAWAII!!!<3" by release.

Carceri

Arcane
da_Sex_10.jpg

DA - putting the broke back in mountains

Moray

Scholar
Clockwork Knight said:
Btw, what determines whether the PC is the active or passive guy in the relationship? Or is it always gonna be a mix?

Maybe there's a dialogue option that'll let you choose whether you want your character to top or bottom. Choices and consequences, and all that jazz.

Data4

Arcane
Reading that site the pictures come from, including the comments, makes me want to barf. All this talk of "progress" by having gay sex in the game. What progress? Please, someone enlighten me on how this act of progressiveness ADDS anything to the piece as a whole other than controversy? It's like Bioware is saying "Oh lawd! We gone' add something we know is gonna cause a shitstorm and feign Castro district indignation at the criticism!"

Morbe

Novice
Data4 said:
Reading that site the pictures come from, including the comments, makes me want to barf. All this talk of "progress" by having gay sex in the game. What progress? Please, someone enlighten me on how this act of progressiveness ADDS anything to the piece as a whole other than controversy? It's like Bioware is saying "Oh lawd! We gone' add something we know is gonna cause a shitstorm and feign Castro district indignation at the criticism!"

Because if a big company like Bioware does it and still manages to get huge sales, it's going to be much easier for others to do in their future games.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Freelance Henchman said:
I finally want some TASTEFUL gay romance & sex in an RPG dammit!
I finally want some TASTEFUL romance & sex in an RPG dammit!

Actually... not.

Moray

Scholar
Morbe said:
Because if a big company like Bioware does it and still manages to get huge sales, it's going to be much easier for others to do in their future games.

There's a difference in Bioware doing it purposefully to pioneer a greater acceptance of explicit sexual material (be it of any flavour, I suppose) expressly for the benefit of anyone who chooses to follow, and doing it as a marketing gimmick/selling-point and having those that come after them inadvertently benefit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Moray said:
Morbe said:

There's a difference in Bioware doing it purposefully to pioneer a greater acceptance of explicit sexual material (be it of any flavour, I suppose) expressly for the benefit of anyone who chooses to follow, and doing it as a marketing gimmick/selling-point and having those that come after them inadvertently benefit.

Not to the surroundings there ain't. However whether it will raise awareness or somesuch is deeply tied to how the game handles the romance. If it's written by Gaider, by God, it might just be so bad only Fox News will have something to say about, after which it will blow over.

Moray

Scholar
Grunker said:
Not to the surroundings there ain't. However whether it will raise awareness or somesuch is deeply tied to how the game handles the romance. If it's written by Gaider, by God, it might just be so bad only Fox News will have something to say about, after which it will blow over.

See, that's just part of it. Is there anyone out there, really, who sincerely believes that any of the portrayals of sex and romance in this game will resemble anything remotely close to what could be called tasteful and well done? Or is it more than likely going to be a clusterfuck of Gaider-style atrocity?

For all the hype around it, this whole "romance" notion in Bioware games is nothing beyond a shallow selling point - which in turn, given that this crap is going to feature prominently as a noted industry benchmark, is going to stick sex/romance in video games with a negative stigma as childish and immature if not worse.

This is because Bioware either doesn't take this seriously and is content to churn out this garbage, or because they do but lack the capabilities to execute something feasibly worthwhile. End result is the same.

"Derrr - let's have a gay elf! Herp derp."

Maybe I'm just making too much out of this, though.

MetalCraze said:
The Feral Kid said:
Next-gen people can't even get a damn thing straight these days

c what i did thar

Jim Cojones said:

There is a difference between fucking a sheep described in a one short sentence which wasn't hyped (and which I missed on my walkthrough) and visualizing (and hyping) fucking a guy in the asshole. Notice any difference?

Uh...because the sheep is fucked up (though amusing in context), while gay sex is fine.

I find Bioware's romances pretty offputting and horribly written - and I tend to LIKE that kind of gay stuff in games:) - but if they're going to do it then I'm glad they're doing gay options as well. Especially gay male options with anal sex, and especially considering that so much of their market falls into the 'lol lesbian sex is hawt, but lyke only if they are hot and thin, and don't look like that shaved-head-chick who I called dyke in high-school, but homo men is fucking fail-gusting and shoudn't be in my gaim' category.

My only complaint from what I've seen is the same as with the rest of their romance writing - Gaiderised - horribly cliched writing that resembles no relationship I've ever seen or been in (and as a married guy who has (pre-marriage, obviously) dated both genders, I've seen a fair variety), and the most insulting of tropes where they scream 'blatant-attempt-at-fantasy-fulfillment' (a 12 yr old's fantasy, that is) with utterly unnatural 'saw nice things to me for 3 dialogues, then get shaf option' setup rather than being tied into the natural story progression.

I think Avellone is right - fulfilling the romance in games breaks it, as it is too rushed. It is a case of listening to the players saying 'oh, but I really wanted to get a happy ending there (pun intended)' rather than sitting back and smiling in the knowledge that they wouldn't have been so attached to the characters if things had been resolved like that. If they're going to do cliche, they should look at the cliches that have worked. Han and Leia are a 'romance' from their first argument in Star Wars, and stay the 'romance plot' even though they never get it on until Return of the Jedi (and again, the romance worked best when it was the furthest from the 'say nice things, then shag' Bioware model - c/f the bickering through Empire, finishing with the 'I love you' '[looks hurt] I know') - if Bioware just ripped off that, it would be a massive improvement. Notice all the sick puppies wanting Imoen-romance mods for BG2? Not my thing, but maybe its because she didn't come preloaded with a romance script completely unrelated to the rest of the game, but instead had a relation to the player that was built into the game's plot?

Meh, back to gay sex. I shouldn't expect better, I know, but why do people think that guys who enjoy shagging other guys instead of women would want their guy to look like, well, a woman? If you want to see a game character designed specifically to look attractive to its gay writer, check Clive Barker's Undying - originally they gave him a grizzled-muscled-tank, but he said that was too predictable/boring and instead walked the designers through his idea of sexy.

And yeah, I don't know why I write such long fucking posts about a game that will probably suck. Part of it is sheer amazement that Gaider seems to genuinely committed to being a good writer rather than churning out automated pulp...but he constantly makes errors that aren't just creative failures but obvious and repeated structural errors (I'm including his reliance, and apparent lack of self-awareness, of tropes in that) that he could easily learn to avoid. I actually suspect that by giving him an 'easy entry' into the writing field (where his heart seems to be), his gaming job has actually hamstrung him by getting him published and putting him out as a professional writer, when he still needed more time learning the basics.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
[
"Err, yes actually." as if one should take caution from saying, "FUCK OFF, GAY!" Oh wait, Obammy's new Hate Crimes Law just passed. O SHI-

Isn't Zevran a raised-in-a-slum assassin? Breaking his heart in such an assholery way sounds like a horrible, horrible idea

Oh it would be so awesome if you turned him down and he said "oh you misread me.... (suspense) I was only asking out of politeness". And then yells "SURPRISE!" puts a knife to your throath and buttsecks commences. For Christs sake that has to be modded in

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
circ said:
Mod in Goatse.

Ah yes, such wonderful possibilities... Chance of Rectal Prolapse with a permanent penalty to Agility and Charisma (or whatever similar stats they use in DA).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Turisas said:
circ said:
Mod in Goatse.

Ah yes, such wonderful possibilities... Chance of Rectal Prolapse with a permanent penalty to Agility and Charisma (or whatever similar stats they use in DA).
Don't forget the massive permanent bonus to intimidate.

Aditya

Educated
Hmm. Bunch of closeted and possibly repressed homosexuals of Codex bawwwing over OPTIONAL Gay romance in DA:O?! How amusing. Most of these guys are going to try gay romance anyways, so right now its bashing just for the sake of bashing, as usual...

And as for the Fox News controversy, know that the author has already apologized for ME lies, so don’t get your hopes high about Fox making another ‘controversy’ just coz you desire so.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Azrael the cat said:
that resembles no relationship I've ever seen or been in (and as a married guy who has (pre-marriage, obviously) dated both genders, I've seen a fair variety)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom