Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Salt And Sanctuary (2D "Souls" game)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Edit: also, this should probably be in JRPG subforum. Metroidvania is a sub-genre of JRPG, as is "Souls-like".
The JRPG subforum is the repository of all Japanese-developed RPGs (also Korean- or Chinese-developed), regardless of whether they belong to the JRPG subgenre, the Wizardry-like subgenre, the action RPG subgenre (Demon's/Dark Souls), or anything else. Since Salt & Sanctuary is Western-developed, it belongs here by Codex standards.

somerandomdude

Learned
Salt and Sanctuary is really good, IMO it's the best indie metroidvania game I've played. The type of build I preferred was medium armor and 2hing a greatsword or greatclub, and it worked quite well.

I don't recommend Salt and Sacrifice, even though I D1P'd it just because I liked Salt and Sanctuary, but I was hugely disappointed. Salt and Sanctuary felt fresh and interesting, while Salt and Sacrifice seemed generic with too much stuff reused too often, lots of copies of the same bosses, etc.

Modron

Arcane
The JRPG subforum is the repository of all Japanese-developed RPGs (also Korean- or Chinese-developed), regardless of whether they belong to the JRPG subgenre, the Wizardry-like subgenre, the action RPG subgenre (Demon's/Dark Souls), or anything else. Since Salt & Sanctuary is Western-developed, it belongs here by Codex standards.
Looking like an asian game is enough to get your game thread sent there, had a vatnik made game be thrown in there (yes I know vatniks are technically asian but i don't see stuff like Pathologic in there).

Since Salt & Sanctuary is Western-developed, it belongs here by Codex standards.
Not really, given that many of the modern srpg fad wave are cordoned off in the desudesudesu forums despite the vast majority being western made. By actual observable standards anything that looks Asian or weebish gets sent there.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Looking like an asian game is enough to get your game thread sent there, had a vatnik made game be thrown in there (yes I know vatniks are technically asian but i don't see stuff like Pathologic in there).
Not really, given that many of the modern srpg fad wave are cordoned off in the desudesudesu forums despite the vast majority being western made. By actual observable standards anything that looks Asian or weebish gets sent there.
The JRPG forum includes threads for the Demon's / Dark Souls series, Dragon's Dogma, the Yakuza series, a few Wizardry-likes with Western-style graphics, and so forth. Lost Eidolons might be the only Japanese/Korean/Chinese-developed game placed in the general RPG forum due to having Western-style graphics, though admittedly there seem to be several Western-developed games relocated to the JRPG forum for having Japanese-influenced graphics. :M

Ryzer

Arcane
So Codex general gaming is infested with popamole and decline, so I figure I'll bump this thread since I just beat the game. Wasn't planning to, but the game and codex both deserve it.

This game is very, very competently designed. I encountered one minor bug in my 20 hours of playtime. Performance was flawless. It's challenging but for the most part fair. Level design is great. It's a fantastic Metroidvania Souls-like.
There is however a point of contention: it is extremely derivative of Dark Souls, basically copying nearly all systems and mechanics almost 1:1. This at first made me assume the devs had no creative talent, but you discover from the level design, art direction (made mostly by one person, and a woman at that!), enemy & boss design that this is not quite the case. The game definitely deserves to be recognised on its own despite the shameless copying, and everything is either derivative or shit these days anyway. Nonetheless I expected a touch more creativity in some regards, but whatever. It's a fucking solid game.
I also want to add that there is creativity in taking systems and mechanics from a 3D game and translating it to 2D. It also adds additional emphasis on platforming over souls, which is pretty much mandatory as replacement for three dimensional gameplay. Swap it for increased vertical gameplay.
There really isn't much bad to say about the game as it stands, at least as the class I played (Hunter). Perhaps that pistols are possibly OP. Just making it require a touch more aim precision would probably fix it. I guess I was disappointed with the final area and boss. Pretty anti-climatic. There's things that I wish there was MORE of, more music, more skill tree depth, but this doesn't make the game bad. Edit: I suppose the tree of skill is unnecessarily restrictive like toro mentioned, but I had a good time with it cause I managed to get everything I wanted.
There's plenty good to say about the game, even if it's really nothing new, but you should see for yourself.

I highly recommend it if you like gameplay-centric games as god intended.
Played Salt and Sanctuary for 10 minutes, god-awful controls, terrible uninspired gameplay, no tutorial in the beginning to explain the controls and the combat system.
Fun fact, while climbing a ladder, you can't do anything to the mobs above spamming attack button once you get off the ladder, so you die like a moron, pathetic combat, enemy AI and just plain shit game.
The graphics are also hideous, Castlevania is thousandfold better than this crap.
Terrible stiff controls which will tear your own eyes out.
Yep I think I already got enough with this shit, but it seems like you have played a completely different game.

musouking

Novice
Patron
Beat the game around 15hrs. It's not as bad as I thought before. Underrated.
The final boss is impressive if only it could have more different BGMs like this instead of one single repeat.

Ash

Arcane
So Codex general gaming is infested with popamole and decline, so I figure I'll bump this thread since I just beat the game. Wasn't planning to, but the game and codex both deserve it.

This game is very, very competently designed. I encountered one minor bug in my 20 hours of playtime. Performance was flawless. It's challenging but for the most part fair. Level design is great. It's a fantastic Metroidvania Souls-like.
There is however a point of contention: it is extremely derivative of Dark Souls, basically copying nearly all systems and mechanics almost 1:1. This at first made me assume the devs had no creative talent, but you discover from the level design, art direction (made mostly by one person, and a woman at that!), enemy & boss design that this is not quite the case. The game definitely deserves to be recognised on its own despite the shameless copying, and everything is either derivative or shit these days anyway. Nonetheless I expected a touch more creativity in some regards, but whatever. It's a fucking solid game.
I also want to add that there is creativity in taking systems and mechanics from a 3D game and translating it to 2D. It also adds additional emphasis on platforming over souls, which is pretty much mandatory as replacement for three dimensional gameplay. Swap it for increased vertical gameplay.
There really isn't much bad to say about the game as it stands, at least as the class I played (Hunter). Perhaps that pistols are possibly OP. Just making it require a touch more aim precision would probably fix it. I guess I was disappointed with the final area and boss. Pretty anti-climatic. There's things that I wish there was MORE of, more music, more skill tree depth, but this doesn't make the game bad. Edit: I suppose the tree of skill is unnecessarily restrictive like toro mentioned, but I had a good time with it cause I managed to get everything I wanted.
There's plenty good to say about the game, even if it's really nothing new, but you should see for yourself.

I highly recommend it if you like gameplay-centric games as god intended.
Played Salt and Sanctuary for 10 minutes, god-awful controls, terrible uninspired gameplay, no tutorial in the beginning to explain the controls and the combat system.
Fun fact, while climbing a ladder, you can't do anything to the mobs above spamming attack button once you get off the ladder, so you die like a moron, pathetic combat, enemy AI and just plain shit game.
The graphics are also hideous, Castlevania is thousandfold better than this crap.
Terrible stiff controls which will tear your own eyes out.
Yep I think I already got enough with this shit, but it seems like you have played a completely different game.
Even the codex has its decline-enabling casuals.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
People like you who praise shit like RE4 or Darkwood?
Yeah, plenty around unfortunately.

Ash

Arcane
Darkwood is a hardcore game, one of the most hardcore in years. You really like making yourself look stupid. Actually play the game before giving your retarded opinions.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game is very sold.

If you disagree, it's okay. Many people have shit taste in games.

I had no issues with ladder climbing. Just time it.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Darkwood is a hardcore game, one of the most hardcore in years. You really like making yourself look stupid. Actually play the game before giving your retarded opinions.
Darkwood is boring as fuck with the forced day-/night-cycle an the weak procedural generation. The progression is fucked up beyond repair, as the first nights are boring af, and if you progress too fast the game becomes unwinnable. But you can stock up and make the whole thing trivial. And it has an art style that looks like it was directed and executed by an eight-year-old.
Sorry, but if anything here makes anyone look stupid, it's your unapologetic praise for this mediocre and ultimately forgettable indie game.

edit: Salt & Sanctuary otoh is very good. The sequel sucks though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom