Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sailing Era - chinese Uncharted Waters clone

Kwota

Augur
As the title suggests its unabashedly copies Koei title.

I just bought it today and it's surprisingly fun.

It has multiple heroes to choose from on start:

KvT5swC.jpg

I especially like the in-port graphics:

7pp3Zp1.jpg

7kBEHu4.jpg

It's got some RPG elements both for the crewmembers and your fleet:

WAK2vyw.jpg

zZx9Gph.jpg

Graphics are servicable when roaming around through the world:
uDAkLr4.jpg

I didn't play the game for a very long time as you can see from the screens (and started a few times just to check some things), but as I wrote earlier it really does scratches that Uncharted Waters itch - Ship combat is different though, it's more like Pirates!.

I know that there are old Koei game fans on 'Dex so I happily inform that devs have provided demo version for tryout.

I looked up some gameplay footage of this on Youtube. The Japanese naval setting is underexplored so that's a nice. The generic CyDesignation character designs are... I dunno. Not good but not bad either. Unfortunately the gameplay doesn't look engaging. The ships move way too fast and the camera is too far away from the action, the ingame aesthetics are unmemorable, and the boarding battles look like something out of a mobile game. The UI is also a turn-off.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Somebody had to finally do a remake of Uncharted Waters. Not sure about the gameplay, but the UI doesn't fit the Age of Sail theme at all. And those anime portraits...

I thought this is Chinese, not Japanese.

Ironmonk

Augur
Is there one game produced by Chinese developers that's not mediocre at best?
Dyson Sphere Program

And with the increasing quantity of games released there, even if most games aren't good now, they will keep getting experience and my guess is that within a decade, we will see many good games coming from China.

I remember way back around the year 2000, they barely made anime and manga equivalents... but today, the amount of novels/manhua they make is huge (animation I don't know, but probably is also the case), and while most are crap, the quantity of good to excellent stories are increasing.

So, by mass producing stuff, even if at first wasn't good, they have been increasing the workforce and acquiring expertise in programming, storytelling, etc... and what we see now with games like Dyson Sphere Program and even Amazing Cultivator Simulator is a proof of that...

Sooner or later, while most games in the west become woke infested garbage, the chinese will take advantage of that to sell their games.

Modron

Arcane
Could easily see it go the opposite with Chinese games becoming as bland and souless as Chinese movies because they've come under the auspices of the central party in the last couple of years. We've already seen them withhold certification for an entire year on new releases. Wouldn't be shocked if they pulled Nobody the Turnaround from sale on Steam because it was too critical and dour of a chinese life sim.

somerandomdude

Learned
Is there one game produced by Chinese developers that's not mediocre at best?
Dyson Sphere Program

And with the increasing quantity of games released there, even if most games aren't good now, they will keep getting experience and my guess is that within a decade, we will see many good games coming from China.

I remember way back around the year 2000, they barely made anime and manga equivalents... but today, the amount of novels/manhua they make is huge (animation I don't know, but probably is also the case), and while most are crap, the quantity of good to excellent stories are increasing.

So, by mass producing stuff, even if at first wasn't good, they have been increasing the workforce and acquiring expertise in programming, storytelling, etc... and what we see now with games like Dyson Sphere Program and even Amazing Cultivator Simulator is a proof of that...

Sooner or later, while most games in the west become woke infested garbage, the chinese will take advantage of that to sell their games.
They're trying to mimic the Japanese style, even down to the artwork and themes. It feeds right into the accurate stereotype that the Chinese like copying others, but rarely produce anything original or excellent. But I suppose if they produce enough games, there's bound to be a few gems in there.

However, I agree that China might be one of the last places that actually produce games that don't have niggers and troons in them. It's gotten to be a big enough problem to where I'd rather play a mediocre game with no niggers and troons in it, than a game that's mechanically better. So, in the end, I might very well eat crow and go full on Wumao, China #1 after almost nobody outside of China makes games without niggers and troons in them.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's a good game. Generally, don't take people seriously who haven't played a game and just shit on it based on looking at a video. Sure, I get it, sometimes it's a valid impression, but this is a solid game if you're into what it's trying to do.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
The first paid DLC "Edge of the World" for "SailingEra" is about to set sail!
The first paid DLC "Edge of the World" for "SailingEra" is about to set sail!
We will launch at PDT September 11th 20:00 and will log in to the PC platform at that time!
——About "End of the World" DLC
-New Main Character [Fiona]
-New Sailor [Marlene]
-DLC Story-Exclusive Port [Reykjavik]
-New Story-Exclusive Enemy [The Hanseatic League]
-New World Boss [the Fermor]
eabea2838f11c547051f03a6798cf2e9bec34d33.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
I'm rather disappointed at how anemic it is considering how much content was cut from the game (allegedly, entire continents worth), but still nice to get I suppose.

Modron

Arcane
I'm rather disappointed at how anemic it is considering how much content was cut from the game (allegedly, entire continents worth), but still nice to get I suppose.
You could wait for Sagres to come out in English once it leaves early access I suppose that is if the more indie graphics don't turn you off.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

Edge of the World, now released on Steam!
Captain! DLC Edge of the World for Sailing Era has officially landed on steam!
If you encounter bug problems in game, feel free to contact us via email: sailingera@bilibili.com

Purchase the main game and DLC.If you're greeted with a new content unlocked pop-up and Fiona is available as the main character for a new game, then you've successfully unlocked the DLC.
*This DLC contains the new World Boss [Fermor] and exclusive content for the new Main Character [Fiona].

"Leave Stockholm for Reykjavik."
"It's your mother's hometown and where we first met."

The World's End DLC comes with the following content:

New Main Character [Fiona]
01.png

Fiona, a Swedish merchant of Viking descent inherited her family's failing business and huge debts brought about by the Hanseatic League's sanctions. Despite the pain from losing her father, Fiona is determined to keep her family's hard work away from the hands of their creditors, and she is desperately in need of a large sum of money to turn things around.

New Sailor [Marlene]
02.png

Marlene, an outstanding but grumpy shipwright and craftsman. She was raised by Fiona's father after losing her parents and treats Fiona like her own elder sister, even though they are of the same age. Upon hearing that Fiona plans to set sail in search of an opportunity to repay her family's debts, Marlene decides to join the adventure and contribute her outstanding skills as a shipwright.

DLC Story-Exclusive Port [Reykjavik]
03.png

Fiona follows the clues and things her father left behind and discovers a port linked to her mother's origins, Reykjavik. In order to help Reykjavik prosper and thrive into a busy commercial port, Fiona decides to crush the Hanseatic League's monopoly rule...

New Story-Exclusive Enemy [The Hanseatic League]
04.png

In the bustling trade center known as Lübeck, a powerful business alliance was born—the Hanseatic League.
They took the reins of the entire business world through carefully planned trade routes and commodities. Any port that refused cooperation with them would be hit with heavy sanctions and suffer being forcefully blocked off from all trade.
Meanwhile, the Hanseatic League secretly built a powerful armed maritime force in preparation for any resistance they may face.

Twenty years ago, Fiona's father attempted to resist them, yet their trade restrictions led to his debts piling up and eventual bankruptcy.
Twenty years later, today, history is about to change by your hand...

New World Boss [the Fermor]
gif%EF%BC%88%E6%9C%80%E5%90%8E%E4%B8%80%E5%BC%A0%EF%BC%89.gif

Gladio, a former admiral in the navy, was "forced" to become a deserter during a decisive battle, and the bounty on his head threw him into the abyss.
Unlike his subordinates whose hearts are clouded with greed, Gladio has his own code, even after becoming a pirate.

oasis789

Arcane
Are there NPC captains like uncharted waters? Or is it just randomly generated ships

Is there any economy simulation?

How is the naval combat?

oasis789

Arcane
So I tried the demo, in case anyone else was curious about this:

ship NPCs - I'm not super sure but I think there was a reappearing fleet. It's hard to tell since the game has no pause and you gotta hold down a key to inspect which is a few seconds and then the ships out of range anyway. Maybe there's a better way to do this but I didn't figure it out. but in any case the ocean was pretty empty most of the time

Economy sim - as far as I can tell, none. Random events influence prices in specific ports but I never saw anything like prices affected by trades. The market screen was also not very helpful in telling me what goods are in demand where. It's complicated enough to be interesting though it could be even more interesting

Naval combat - maybe the starting ship is just crap but I found it very awkward to fight. Half the time was just maneuvering around for another volley and ended up spending a full load of supplies just on one battle, compared to a full load lasting easily 10+ voyages with the auto-sail speed boost.

If there's one thing that annoyed me to death its the loading screen that pops up every time you leave port. I just keep mashing skip but there's no skipping the screen transitions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom