Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC Total Conversion mods

Shiny

Novice
So today I was thinking about re-installing SOC with one of the total conversion mods and I was curious what the hive mind thought about them. I played Oblivion Lost awhile back and was told that LURK, is quite good. I also saw one other one and was curious if anyone has played it. Let me know if you get a chance as I know you're all busy arguing about the decline and other shit that no-one cares about:

LURK
http://www.moddb.com/games/stalker

Complete 2009
http://stalker.filefront.com/file/STALKER_Complete_2009_;113377

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yep, both of them are swell but neither one is a TC.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What they do post under the features is intriguing Tycn...

I just wonder what the other "And Many more Features just download and findout for yourself" is...

Have you actually played and used this?

Tycn

Savant
I have, though some of those features are for the upcoming vapourware release. It's essentially Oblivion Lost 2.2 with more of everything (items, artifacts, guns) and a handful of new features. I find OL to be the best major mod and the extra content gives it a good deal more longevity.

Complete 2009 looks nice but doesn't change enough, ballistics are still based on dice rolls as in vanilla which makes the firefights feel rather spammy. LURK is a bit better but the hyped stealth system doesn't seem much better than vanilla and the guns are still too inaccurate.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ahh ok. There was some stuff in OL that made me just :facepalm:. I wish the STALKER community has some kind of modular WeiDU system like the Baldur's Gate community has. Which is the STALKERS mod communities biggest downfall.

Tycn

Savant
What didn't you like about it? I don't recall anything eliciting that response in my playthrough.

Shiny

Novice
Sorry about the TC eff up. Oblivion Lost on my first playthrough felt like such a completely different game I didn't even consider it SOC anymore. So Tycn, is the one you posted an update to Oblivion Lost because there were a couple game breaking moments for me when I played it last, (that was a few years ago), but if they've been fixed, that would be awesome. Or is it just a mod pack that has all the Oblvion lost stuff, AS WELL as some ballistics fixes etc.?

EDIT
(Nevermind, just saw what it is... thanks, I think I'll give that a go)

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I loved Oblivion Lost just for being totally batshit at times. Certainly kept things interesting.

[17:09:48] Nefarias Bredd: and a Controller monster attacked the Freedom base and turned half of them into zombies
[17:09:55] Nefarias Bredd: followed by a blowout
[17:10:05] Nefarias Bredd: so there were about five factions running for the freedom base to hide
[17:10:17] Nefarias Bredd: while zombies shot at everyone and the controller took over anyone who came near him
[17:10:29] Nefarias Bredd: and people kept stopping to sporadically shoot at opposing factions
[17:10:38] Nefarias Bredd: and the slackers got eaten by invisible vampire monsters
[17:10:54] Nefarias Bredd: I proceeded to enter the hideout, throw a grenade and watch as everyone who survived the gauntlet outside fled the building and died of radiation
[17:10:57] Nefarias Bredd: good mod

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Admiral jimbob said:
I loved Oblivion Lost just for being totally batshit at times. Certainly kept things interesting.

[17:09:48] Nefarias Bredd: and a Controller monster attacked the Freedom base and turned half of them into zombies
[17:10:05] Nefarias Bredd: so there were about five factions running for the freedom base to hide
[17:10:17] Nefarias Bredd: while zombies shot at everyone and the controller took over anyone who came near him
[17:10:29] Nefarias Bredd: and people kept stopping to sporadically shoot at opposing factions
[17:10:38] Nefarias Bredd: and the slackers got eaten by invisible vampire monsters
[17:10:54] Nefarias Bredd: I proceeded to enter the hideout, throw a grenade and watch as everyone who survived the gauntlet outside fled the building and died of radiation

If that is true (or any indication of what can happen in OL), then fuck me. I really should have played it a bit more. THAT is pure fucking awesome.

Shiny

Novice
Admiral jimbob said:

I admit to really enjoying the emergent gameplay mechanics of OL and the chaos therein. My biggest dissapointment with SOC always came with the difficulty in aligning with or helping any particular factions. For example the duty/freedom shitfest that would always end in tears no matter how careful you were to follow and do exactly what they wanted, (ie: one day they would start shooting at you for no reason). That being said it was always quite satisfying to chuck a grenade into their hideout when they inevitably got mad at you for some imagined problem.

Shiny

Novice
P.S. I had to look it up Admiral Jimbob, but had a laugh when I figured out what onanism was...

Shiny

Novice
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Not really as it's incredibly frustrating to work on getting in good with a faction only to have them turn on your for no reason and recieve a shotgun blast to the face when running from a rampaging mutant/bloodsucker/angry man with a big gun into what you think is a safe faction area. Of course, you've been saving when out and about so there's no going back either. It happened twice and was DESTROY ALL COMPUTERS rage moment... mind you that was almost three years ago and it could have been patched since then...

Tycn

Savant
I've started 2-3 playthroughs with the pack (I tend to restart after getting too powerful) and haven't encountered any bugs with the factions. It is fairly easy to turn people against you with a misplaced grenade or bullet however. Also a good idea to keep multiple saves due to the inherent buggyness of the game, not sure if this is something that other mods remedy.

Here's a better mirror if you haven't found one already: http://games.on.net/file/29057/S.T.A.L. ... k_2.4_Full

Might as well mention that there are now a number of major mods available for Call of Pripyat.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/i-work-alone/ ... tured-mods
http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/2010/04 ... plete.html
http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-pripyat-reloaded

All of those seem to have fairly respectable feature sets. I'm using I Work Alone on the hardest difficulty and it is really punishing.

Shiny

Novice
I have been playing through as well with the mod pack and there's an option, if you should piss off the wrong people by accident, to buy back the option of them not shooting at you again...

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Jaesun said:
Admiral jimbob said:

If that is true (or any indication of what can happen in OL), then fuck me. I really should have played it a bit more. THAT is pure fucking awesome.

Another great moment was when a blowout occurred when I was helping my bros take back the research plant near the Garbage, and we had to rescue somebody in a room in the middle of the compound. When the blowout started, everyone rushed that one room. Hilarity ensued.

Good mod.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Admiral jimbob said:
Jaesun said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Another great moment was when a blowout occurred when I was helping my bros take back the research plant near the Garbage, and we had to rescue somebody in a room in the middle of the compound. When the blowout started, everyone rushed that one room. Hilarity ensued.

Good mod.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is just PURE FUCKING AWESOME!

Shiny

Novice
This morning I was playing and I had just finished x-18. So I was making my way through the building and up to the roof and was encountering the usual army resistance when a blowout started, only the Army hadn't been fighting just me. There were three dwarfs, one bloodsucker and a pack of dogs and cats that had been harassing them outside and subsequently followed them in during their tactical retreat. I lasted about three seconds in this shitstorm...

Shiny

Novice
Jaesun said:
http://gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr&thm_page=1&thm_id=17738&sec_id=17

Merged Women Stalker NPC into the game! :roll:

I've only seen one so far...

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Shiny said:
This morning I was playing and I had just finished x-18. So I was making my way through the building and up to the roof and was encountering the usual army resistance when a blowout started, only the Army hadn't been fighting just me. There were three dwarfs, one bloodsucker and a pack of dogs and cats that had been harassing them outside and subsequently followed them in during their tactical retreat. I lasted about three seconds in this shitstorm...

Oh god, the dwarfs. Fucking horrifying things. And then I find out they're a normal creature in Dongs Over Pripyat...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom