Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky sure feels like an RPG

Durwyn

Prophet
My apologies. Was it in the Ukraine? It's all the same to us stupid Americans.
On offence taken. You would know where is it if you were living so close to it

DraQ

Arcane
Durwyn said:
Okays, I'll check it out in couple of hours after acquireing it by not removing it physicaly from the inventory :evil: and post some impressions on this one
Good, give me a heads-up, if it's at least as good and atmospheric as the first one (in spite of SoC being plagued by all kinds of problems), I'm buying it.

uhjghvt said:
If it doesn't have elves it's not an RPG. Period.
Yeah! Let's show them Torment fans and their fuckin' FPS antics! :evil:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Crispney Spears said:
racofer has big furry balls said:
It's not surprising to see such thread. All this crispy dude does is play FPS games (oblivion being his favorite as pointed in several posts) and try desperately to get codex approval on his mainstream gaming habits.

Heh, I can't believe you went there. Aren't you the Memeking? Where's your Dumbfuck tag, anyway? It seems pretty overdue.

It's coming shortly.

Good point, though. If you consider Oblivion an RPG, there's good reason for you to consider CS to be at least RPG-like.

the lulz knows no boundaries. So now CS is RPG as well, sweet. What's next? Doom is a RPG since it has multiple choices of guns?

Beans00

Augur
racofer said:
Crispy said:
Then your version should be customized as F.U.C.K.I.N.G. I.D.I.O.T.

Actually it's called RELOADED.

How about some constructive content, jacofer?

How about not?
Seriously jacofer, your a fucking loser... OMG i can bitch and be a prick over the internet i must be cool.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Beans00 said:
racofer said:
Crispy said:

How about not?
Seriously jacofer, your a fucking loser... OMG i can bitch and be a prick over the internet i must be cool.

Calling someone a loser of the internet makes you teh maturity example everyone should follow.

Beans00

Augur
racofer said:
Beans00 said:
racofer said:
Crispy said:

How about not?

Calling someone a loser of the internet makes you teh maturity example everyone should follow.
Two words: Angry nerd.

DefJam101

Arcane
Beans00 said:
racofer said:
Beans00 said:
racofer said:
Crispy said:

How about not?

Two words: Eleven posts.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Beans00 said:
racofer said:
Beans00 said:
racofer said:
Crispy said:

How about not?

Two words: butt hurt.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Crispy said:
Of the examples given, I'd say Crysis is the closest in terms of non-linearity, but did you have an option to approach a given situation in Crysis in as many different ways as you can in CS?

havent played clear sky so i m honestly interested because i thought stalker was a piece of crap (but with awesome atmosphere) and most people said clear sky is more of the same - maybe you can do something to make me try it, cause i personally hoped for clear sky to be a good game..... so what can you do in clear sky that you cant in crysis ?

lets assume we have some factory full of enemy soldiers and we need to get some item out of said factory in both games.

in average corridor shooter: attack factory from south, take more or less cover and kill baddies till they re dead.

in stalker (non-clear sky): attack factory from south or north (west and east are protected by too high walls), take more or less cover and kill baddies till they re dead.

in crysis:
-attack factory from south, north, west or east (you can jump over the walls thanks to nanosuit).
-stealth inside and take the item without anyone noticiing if you re good enough.
-stealth inside and silently disable the enemies one by one (collar grabbing + throwing -them into water or punching them death if no water around )
-put an explosive charge onto a jeep, drive the jeep to full speed into the factory, jump out middle way and blow up the jeep in the middle of the enemies.
-use mines (warhead or mods only) and lure the enemies into them
-go elsewhere in the level and capture an APC - steamroll the factory.

no its not deus ex, no hacking, lockpicking etc. but i m seeing alot more "depth" than to stalker, but mind you, maybe i missed the great improvements that make Clear Sky so different so i may get interested this time.

btw Crysis is definitly a RPG, it has collar-grabbing, hitting people with your rifle and portable nuclear launchers. if the best RPGs (mass effect & fallout 3) steal from crysis thats just proof that it is.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Crispy said:
Clear Sky takes it a step further by introducing weapons and equipment upgrades and customization, which is a very RPG-like feature. There are no experience points or levelling, but there are factions whom you can join with and influence, to the point of affecting the wars that spring up between them in one way or the other.
Since when did customization of weapons/char appearance/etc. make a game an RPG or even add "RPGlike" elements to a game?

[EDIT]
...and after further reading...

It features MUCH more in common with adventure games, lots of dialog, inventory system, etc. but IS lacking a hallmark of RPGs everywhere character improvement by skill levels and/or stats.

Sure it beats out most other FPS by having a story, open world, inventory, and better equipment upgrades, but it doesn't make it"RPGlike"...
[/EDIT]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom