Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info S.C.O.U.R.G.E. V0.2 rolls out

Fez

Erudite
Tags: S.C.O.U.R.G.E.: Heroes of Lesser Renown

This one hasn't had a mention here for a while. The latest version of the free and open source 3D roguelike <a href=http://scourgeweb.org/tiki-index.php>S.C.O.U.R.G.E.: Heroes of Lesser Renown</a> has been unleashed. These are some of the changes mentioned for version 0.2:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
<li>Translations to languages other than English (German and Italian)
<br>
<li>Outdoor Levels with villages and real terrain
<br>
<li>Each level now starts in a village with its own set of npcs
<br>
<li>User Interface has a new default color scheme and is now themable
<br>
<li>New Models and Icons
<br>
<li>Weather and ambient sound has been added for more engaging fantasy
<br>
<li>New Monsters, Levels, Traps, Secrets and Story Additions
<br>
<li>High Scores may be uploaded to SCOURGEweb
<br>
<li>Walls in dungeons areas now become transparent in front of the camera
<br>
<li>Many small features and bugfixes
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
For those unfamiliar with the game:
<br>
<blockquote>S.C.O.U.R.G.E. is a cross platform, open source rogue-like game in the fine tradition of NetHack and Moria It sports a graphical front-end, similar to glHack or the Falcon's eye. The design of the 3D UI is an attempt at the best of both worlds from old to new: It lets you rotate the view, zoom in/out, view special effects, etc with the feeling of the old-school isometric games like Exult or Woodward.</blockquote>
<br>
There are player guides, installation guides and other information available on the S.C.O.U.R.G.E. site. You can download the game <a href=http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=98006>here</a>.

Nedrah

Erudite
Yeah, I wanted to do a feature/lets play with this game a while ago. Crappy thing kept crashing and glitching on me. Hopefully they did a decent deal of under the hood work.

Fez

Erudite
It could certainly do with more coverage. I've just downloaded the latest build, so I'll see what it's like when I get around to trying it. The previous versions were fun for a quick blast now and then. They are trying to do something a little different and as a bonus it is reasonably pretty for anyone who doesn't like ASCII or very simple roguelike tiles.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Is it really 3D, or does it just use 3D graphics on a 2D plane?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
It might just be my system, but the things unstable as hell and crashes frequently. Too bad, since I'd like to try a roguelike that doesn't require that I'm hardcore enought to deal with ASCII.

HunHam

Novice
Shoelip said:

Scourge is actually a 3.1D game. System-wide use of open-source technologies allows us to easily integrate an extra 0.1 dimension thereby enhancing gameplay. An unfortunate side-effect of this is the occasional program crash. This is because the bonus 0.1 dimension shares a planar link with the Realm of Chaos.

Fez

Erudite
HunHam said:
Shoelip said:

Scourge is actually a 3.1D game. System-wide use of open-source technologies allows us to easily integrate an extra 0.1 dimension thereby enhancing gameplay. An unfortunate side-effect of this is the occasional program crash. This is because the bonus 0.1 dimension shares a planar link with the Realm of Chaos.

Impressive. The power of open source is great indeed. :lol:

Severian Silk

I remember playing this and it having a shitload of buttons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom