Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I finished Like a Dragon this week - the game was cool, I had fun and liked some ideas (especially characters moving around and interacting with environment during battles), but ultimately felt like the jRPG structure wasn't as fun to play as the beat em ups. I'm a relatively new joiner, popped my cherry with Zero, followed up with Ishin! (which, I think, I liked the most across these three games) and am wondering what to pick up next. Since there's quite a backlog, and I don't have as much time as I'd like, playing remakes according to release order might be difficult for me. What is the KKK on the best installments?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
best installments?
Kiwami 1 is still my favorite (remake of the original). It has a more refined version of the style switching from Zero, still the best single story in the series, and pleasantly challenging. Kiwami 2 was too easy, and Y5 was too slow paced (but it has 5 playable characters), and the original ps2 games are really clunky. Y6 I enjoyed purely for the 'Dad' aspects but it's also way too easy.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I finished Like a Dragon this week - the game was cool, I had fun and liked some ideas (especially characters moving around and interacting with environment during battles), but ultimately felt like the jRPG structure wasn't as fun to play as the beat em ups. I'm a relatively new joiner, popped my cherry with Zero, followed up with Ishin! (which, I think, I liked the most across these three games) and am wondering what to pick up next. Since there's quite a backlog, and I don't have as much time as I'd like, playing remakes according to release order might be difficult for me. What is the KKK on the best installments?
If it's all the same to you, try Judgment.
There's a new protagonist, but the gameplay loop is pretty much the same and it takes place in Kamurocho.
What makes it stand apart is a decent plot. One of the best in all Yakuzas in my opinion.

Modron

Arcane
How far will they take the Kiwami games? 5? 6? 0? Kiwami 7 except it plays like the previous games? Or will we finally get Kiwami Kiwami 1?
4-5 are sufficiently graphically advanced enough. 3 would probably be the limit (not counting off mainline stuff ripe for a numake like Kenzan).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm thinking more Gaiden style games.

With that said, I booted it up, and have four hours clocked. It's paced like the PS2 games.

The agent fighting style is okay, but I haven't unlocket enough.

There have been a couple of fun fights early on, but I'd rather have real exp. than using money to buy skill manuals.

I'd buy more games from the series in this style, if they sell them for $30-$40.

With rumors swirling that this is one of the IPs they want to release games for annually, it would make the most sense that we get a mix of small/large games.

I'm a sucker, and would immediately buy an Akiyama game.

n0wh3r3

Educated
best installments?
Kiwami 1 is still my favorite (remake of the original). It has a more refined version of the style switching from Zero, still the best single story in the series, and pleasantly challenging. Kiwami 2 was too easy, and Y5 was too slow paced (but it has 5 playable characters), and the original ps2 games are really clunky. Y6 I enjoyed purely for the 'Dad' aspects but it's also way too easy.
Is there any Yakuza game that isn't easy? Most entries are mindless button smashing. Until 0. Combat is the least fun part in Yakuza games.

Unwanted

Cologno

Unwanted
best installments?
Is there any Yakuza game that isn't easy? Most entries are mindless button smashing. Until 0. Combat is the least fun part in Yakuza games.
Yeah, no, because...you know what? It's not even that you're wrong, it's like when one of my kids say "ice cream is like the stars!" Nonsensicle like. Quit talking out your butt, kid.

n0wh3r3

Educated
best installments?
Yeah, no, because...you know what? It's not even that you're wrong, it's like when one of my kids say "ice cream is like the stars!" Nonsensicle like. Quit talking out your butt, kid.
You are wrong.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
best installments?
You are wrong.
Wrong how

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
13 hours in Gaiden. Still chapter 2, and I have done everything available to me at this point. Only Coliseum fights that I doubt I can currently win are left.

Some decent new characters, but the main story itself is whatever, so far. Still, Kiryu is still best main protag in the series, stupidity, and all.

Last edited:
I gave a try to Yakuza 7/like a dragon... the one that introduced the turn-based combat, to be clear.

Few points:
- I liked the story and the characters... Sort of.
- I GENUINELY didn't like the gameplay and pacing. In the first few hours I stuck with it, the game has been an uninterrupted sequence of incredibly boring random combats repeated over and over, alternated with fucking interminable cutscenes going on for minutes and minutes each.
- I was basically forcing myself to play it and not drop it because "at some point maybe it will click for me" and then I got in chapter 4 where the game keeps crashing over and over during the "Meet the Seiryu Chairman" ambush sequence-pseudo-dungeon.
After the first couple of crashes I said "Well, I'll have just to abuse the save and bruteforce my way through it" but what do I know? Someone who designed this part thought it would be really, really hardcore if the player was forced to get through its entirety in one go. Too bad they didn't take software stability into account so after seven or eight attempts all ended with crash to desktop I think I'm figuratively throwing this into the trash bin and forgetting about it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I gave a try to Yakuza 7/like a dragon... the one that introduced the turn-based combat, to be clear.

Few points:
- I liked the story and the characters... Sort of.
- I GENUINELY didn't like the gameplay and pacing. In the first few hours I stuck with it, the game has been an uninterrupted sequence of incredibly boring random combats repeated over and over, alternated with fucking interminable cutscenes going on for minutes and minutes each.
- I was basically forcing myself to play it and not drop it because "at some point maybe it will click for me" and then I got in chapter 4 where the game keeps crashing over and over during the "Meet the Seiryu Chairman" ambush sequence-pseudo-dungeon.
After the first couple of crashes I said "Well, I'll have just to abuse the save and bruteforce my way through it" but what do I know? Someone who designed this part thought it would be really, really hardcore if the player was forced to get through its entirety in one go. Too bad they didn't take software stability into account so after seven or eight attempts all ended with crash to desktop I think I'm figuratively throwing this into the trash bin and forgetting about it.
What are you running it on? You're probably the first dude I hear talking of crashes.

What are you running it on? You're probably the first dude I hear talking of crashes.

RYZEN 5800x, RTX 3080Ti, 32 GB of RAM and a NVMe.
I'd say I'm abundantly above minimum requirements and with nothing particularly exotic or unusual.

Also, I've spotted other people on Steam complaining about how this game crashes a lot. Everyone of them get told they are an isolated case, incidentally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom