Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Russian indie hit Eador: Genesis got an English release

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I had no problems clearing them out in one go :smug: A warrior in decent (and freshly repaired!) equipment and a retinue of bowmen (or elves if you can get some) will do an easy work out of any number of swordsmen.
How d'you get bowmen? All I can recruit in the capital are slingers, spearmen and healers, and mercenaries are completely random.

So bros, any class suggestions?
I've tried mage (decent) and now I'm using a warrior, who seems much better.

hoverdog

Developer
A couple more questions:

- if I explore a province and get "you didn't find anything interesting", does it mean there's nothing more to search for?

- are there any more races available to play, or are humans the only starting faction? that sounds kinda lame.

mondblut

Arcane
Did a quick Warrior run through the tutorial. No exploration, no serious expansion, just a quick rush to enemy castle. Standart equipment (breastplate, shield and the troll club from the early undead crypt - it's not randomized). First battle - lvl5 + 6 spearmen vs 12 pikemen/swordsmen/bowmen - lost all army but won with half the health remaining. Went back for repair and restock on troops, returned to enemy castle and quickly won against 6 bowmen with 2 spearmen surviving.

A couple more questions:

- if I explore a province and get "you didn't find anything interesting", does it mean there's nothing more to search for?

Nope. There is nothing more to search when exploration level reaches 100%. Until then you can always find something else.

- are there any more races available to play, or are humans the only starting faction? that sounds kinda lame.

Humans are the core race (that's explained in lore, too). With 8 non-human peoples you can make an alliance (only one per shard), and they will then provide you with troops via foreign quarter buildings.

Lightknight

Liturgist
any class suggestions?
There are no suggestions, archer is pretty much the only viable choice for the first hero.Warrior may bash some skulls, but will quickly hit the ceiling and will be forced to explore to find easy enemies, commander is way expensive and doesnt have that great of an advantage at level 1, and mage requires a large infrastructure in place.

If they didnt rebalance things in the remake that would suck...

hoverdog

Developer
This game is addicting. I mean it. I've been playing it the whole day and I don't wanna stop. Really the only thing that I'm not fond of is that you always play as humans. I can see that the sole faction is developed to hell and back, there are lots of buildings and troops, some mutually exclusive - but the feeling persists. I just don't like to play as humans in my fantasy games.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
This game is addicting.

Agreed. I'll only stop playing after completing a shard, or when the game crashes (which typically happens at appropriate times, like 5-6 in the morning). :love:

Overboard

Arcane
This game is addicting. I mean it. I've been playing it the whole day and I don't wanna stop. Really the only thing that I'm not fond of is that you always play as humans. I can see that the sole faction is developed to hell and back, there are lots of buildings and troops, some mutually exclusive - but the feeling persists. I just don't like to play as humans in my fantasy games.

Agreed, I haven't replied to this thread due to being too caught up in playing this game.

You can get troops from other races if you do their quests, e.g. if you receive the Elves quest and complete it (rescue Elven maidens).

Repressed Homosexual
I discovered I don't like playing it because of the auto-save function, I'm not interested in playing a strategy game where every single mistake you make is permanent, considering how long these things take to plan.

Hopefully the sequel doesn't have this feature, because I'll skip it too. I don't have enough time to deal with stuff like this, and don't like wasting hours of my time. Most people actually have lives and don't want to either.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
oh ffs... I am getting very annoying crackling on the sounds/music when running the GoG copy. Any ideas what the reason might be?

hoverdog

Developer
I discovered I don't like playing it because of the auto-save function, I'm not interested in playing a strategy game where every single mistake you make is permanent, considering how long these things take to plan.

Hopefully the sequel doesn't have this feature, because I'll skip it too. I don't have enough time to deal with stuff like this, and don't like wasting hours of my time. Most people actually have lives and don't want to either.

You can move time back a turn.

also, P U S S Y

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Anyone found out yet what happens if you loose a Shard? Do you still get to keep the new building unlocks?
My current Shard is not looking good, but I really want that new Guard unit from it (unhappiness in non-human provinces is giving me headaches)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

:decline:

PorkaMorka

Arcane

Man up. You can recover from a lot of mistakes. I'm currently winning a shard where I took a couple bad deaths.

It's actually kind of awesome like that.

For example, compare with Disciples 2. In that game, you lose your main hero and it is GG. Here you just have to wait a few turns and pay to resurrect him.

Repressed Homosexual

You can move time back a turn.

also, P U S S Y

And you lose points while doing so.

Screw you, I have a wife and a child on the way, I don't want anything to do with this nonsense.

For a game this long and this hard to plan in which decisions can have very long consequences this is a very bad idea.

mondblut

Arcane
And you lose points while doing so.

Screw you, I have a wife and a child on the way, I don't want anything to do with this nonsense.

You have a wife and a child on the way, yet are concerned with high skorez to the point of abandoning the game on the grounds of not being able to achieve them due to restricted reloading?

Well, duh.

Repressed Homosexual
This is not just due to this, sometimes you want to reload from an hour or two back to explore another strategy, and this system prevents you from doing that. And yes many people consider this a waste of important time.

There are many people who are pissed about the state system and don't want to buy the sequel if it follows the same restricting principle. With a Wizardry kind of game, sure... but not a strategy game.

mondblut

Arcane
There is always a next shard to explore another strategy. That's not Heroes where you have to try a campaign scenario again and again until you go through it. A lost shard is not a lost game (well, unless you lose them all and end up roasting in chaos). At worst, you lose an opportunity to claim a building knowledge or a shard attack "bonus" that were stored on this particular shard, but chances are high they will be eventually available on another, it's all randomly generated.

(in b4 "i have family to feed and bills to pay, so games shouldn't be longer than 5 hours")

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom