Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rush For Berlin Demo on Friday

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Demo ]</strong>

<p><a href="http://www.paradoxplaza.com/" title="Paradox">Paradox</a> is releasing the demo for Stormregion's Rush For Berlin this Friday at 9 AM Pacific Standard Time on Gamespot. You'll be able to find out yourself if this is just another World War II RTS or if it's something worth playing.</p><p>Download: <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/promos/2006/rushforberlin-demo/index.html?tag=rfb_psbox_dl" title="demo">Gamespot</a>, <a href="http://www.gamershell.com/news/30045.html" title="GH">Gamer's Hell</a> </p>

Jason

chasing a bee
It looks like you can carry over your progress from the demo over to the full game. Here's the press release crap:

Added Value for Retail Version
This demo is unique in the sense that it is possible to copy this exclusive demo mission over to the final retail version of “Rush For Berlin” and use the advantages of the successful completion of this mission in the rest of the game. On completing the mission, the player will capture the famous “Maus-Panzer” (Mouse tank), the Germans' mightiest tank, allowing you to integrate it into your core army. This will prolong the German campaign, and provides new units as well as an extra time bonus.

Latest technology
The demo also features the latest version of the proven Gepard engine, which fully supports Pixel Shader 3.0. The 3D engine delivers amazing pictures and creates an enveloping cinematic feel.

Officers with skills
Rush for Berlin introduces heroic officers with a special skill system which is clearly shown in the demo. The officer unit is an important extra to the army and players will be rewarded for using these units. Officers can level up and use new skills to turn the tide of a battle. In addition to the “Volkssturm” officer and the “Tank Ace” officer, the player will also take control of the “Engineer” Officer. He can use the radio controlled “Goliath dwarf-tank” for example. All the vehicle and weapons prototypes in “Rush For Berlin” are depictions of actual prototypes that had been developed.

Demo Plot
The Player will play as a German force and face the advance of the Red Army in 1945 near Vienna at the strategic Kahlenberg Heights. The demo offers main, optional and secret objectives and offers, next to the officers, also panzers like the “Sturmtiger”, “Koenigstiger” and “Panther”. Also the player controls a factory and infantry units, also offering special skills.

And here's another download mirror.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Sturmtiger_1.jpg

Sturmtiger :)

Llyranor

Liturgist
So, er, yeah. This is pretty much a fast-paced twitch-fest. Pretty explosions, though.

The best part is that you see dancing Hitler in fullscreen.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Right, I downloaded and played it through twice. Not a very good game. Like llyranor, it's got very pretty explosions. But otherwise there just isn't any semblance of "balance" or unit "roles" or even a fun combat model. Infantry are useless. They cost about 1/3 as much as a much much much more effective Tiger, they take just as long to build (!), they do little damage, and they die almost instantly. The tank combat is kinda cool at first, but gayifies pretty quickly when you realize that your troops inside the tank take damage as well as the tank itself, so you have to crank out infantrymen (which take FOREVER to build) to keep your tanks crewed.

In the demo mission you have one (SLOW) factory while the Russians seem to crank out 3 or 4 tanks every minute.

Anyways, I didn't really have any fun playing it. Too many variables to keep track of for each individual unit for an RTS, as well. Unfortunately, they done give fuel, did anyone figure out how to fuel that big tank? I basically just let it sit there because I was too busy managing my crappy tanks. For some of the most powerful tanks of WW2, Tigers don't seem all that impressive.

Jason

chasing a bee
I just started to install the demo a few minutes ago. I stopped it when I noticed the Starforce warning at the bottom of the EULA. It's a good idea to actually read those things.

Jason

chasing a bee
It only took 5 tries to get that uploaded correctly. I'm so proud of you.

And I agree with Role-Player that he's not really dancing.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Actually, this is the 5th version. The first 3 had incorrect timing and on the 4th one I noticed I'd missed some white frame bits so I cut them out and had to re-upload it.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
That was the shittiest YTMND I've ever seen in my lifes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom