Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RTwP vs. turn-based (wherein I respond to smudboy's video essay and develop suicidal tendencies)

Machocruz

Arcane
Mouth-breather deletes comments even if you disagree with someone who agrees with him. What a bucket of troll spunk this creature is.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know about medical conditions, but it would suffice even if just doubt that he might be doing it wrong could be implanted.

Lhynn

Arcane
Ah, the little coward ran away from any comment with valid criticism by hidding them.

Delterius

Arcane
It would be great if some one could convince him that it's his personal malfunction if he can't percieve nor comprehend events that are not to be taken literally. But I don't think there'll be a successful ending to that, seeing how deep he's entrenched him self with the misguided idea over the metaphysics bullshit. The water will likely remain proverbially blue with him. The entertainment value of it all is, of course, another matter.
Its not that he's incapable. Its that he's biased towards RTwP. Unlike TB's mechanics, the unrealistic UI elements of most every other game don't really break everyone's immershuns because everyone's already internalized those staples of gaming. Of course, I'm talking about magical pause buttons and inventory windows.

Why can't the same be said about TB games?

tumblr_lvfyv0p7Bq1qehntzo1_500.jpg
....METAPHYSICS.

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
So, convince him he might have some obscure medical condition?
Like a condition we just made up?
Superiority Complex? And someone could point him to his own video about people who can't take criticism.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Just gonna throw my hat in and say that I think this a terrbile decision. There should have been no question as to whether it should be turn based or real time with pause.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware there have been no truly "outstanding" turn based VIDEOGAMES. Look at the Baldur's gate series, the icewind dale series and of course planescape torment they were just about perfect in what they achieved. Icewind Dale of course needed a more personal feel to it but the combat system stands up to the Baldur's gate series.

I think a lot of their success was due to the combat system, it added to the fluidity of the game and allowed you to adapt to the situation more readily whereas you're stuck with your decision with turn based gaming.

The joy of videogames is being able to be immersed into them, its how videogames WORK turn based with pause is a natural progression of the tabletop board game. There is no way to make turn based with pause work with a table top board game with people around a table it'd be total chaos however in a videogame this is HOW it works to make it a viable video game.

Making a game purely turn-based is poor decision, I believe the game developers and story writers and people who voted for the turn-based system are looking at how much fun they had playing this game and similar games like D&D around a table remembering how much fun they had while playing it without thinking of the single player videogaming experience.

I think some serious thought needs to be re-invested in this, it needs to be looked at as a single-player experience and not as a multiplayer one. I can see how this system works with human players communicating with each other planning their moves but as a single player experience, being able to survey the battlefield at all times and combining party player tactics... what if you don't have enough energy to perform an action for instance. So after you've acted with one character, you find the character you're controlling would have been better used to boost a previous character but instead are forced to attack with a weak attack so you haven't wasted a turn.

I truly cannot see a positive gaming experience coming from this. This decision comes from people who "think they know best" it looks to me like they think they have "free reign" they think they can just re-imagine a poor system to make it "work" when in the past it has FAILED. Why change a winning formula due to pure arrogance that they think it can work this time.

I am not saying I "know best" I just don't think they should fix something that isn't broken, that has been proven to work with previous highly rated games. I think this was simply an opinion poll rather than a deciding vote. I think the outcome was decided BEFORE the poll, I am just disappointed by the decision.

On a personal note, I must say that I paid a lot of money to get a decent sequel not much different in style but happy to concede as many gameplay changes as I'm thrown but this was something I EXPECTED to stay the same.

I sincerely hope this decision will be revoked and updated so that we can have real-time with pause in the game.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware there have been no truly "outstanding" turn based VIDEOGAMES.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware there have been no truly "outstanding" turn based VIDEOGAMES.
:retarded::retarded::retarded:
:negative:
:dead:
:flamesaw:
:kingcomrade:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What line of thought can get you to think that RTwP is the natural progression of TB?

At best, RTwP is the natural progression of RT when pure RT is unfeasible, like when having to deal with multiple party members.

But hey, retardo teenagers. What can you do.

Athelas

Arcane
What is this 'turnbased with pause' they keep referring to? Do they mean a game a la Arcanum that has both RTwP and TB?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What is this 'turnbased with pause' they keep referring to? Do they mean a game a la Arcanum that has both RTwP and TB?

Turnbased with pause is RTwP. Don't you get it yet? RTwP is just turnbased with the option to start turns when you want. :retarded:

Black

Arcane
Today I played some CSGO and I shot a guy and in reTURN he shot me.
Ayup. Couldn't even pause this bullshit.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aw, gee whiz. Guess he's never heard people go Silent Storm, JA2, XCOM in there. Oh, of course, a videogame version of chess would be outstanding itself, but for the fact that it'd fucking confuse him. I mean, chess, confusing.
What a fucking mainstream hipster.

Ninjerk

Arcane
sea Perhaps you should explain this metaphysic retardation away with a comparison like comic books vs. movies; just because the story is told in panels doesn't mean the universe stops and "the natural order is suspended" while Spiderman shoots a web at something. Imagination fills the gaps.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is always box chess, but unfortunately no one has built a punching in the face peripheral yet.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What if you took RTWP (real, not bastardized TB as in IE games, you could still have initiative to determine order execution delay) and, in combat mode:
- removed manual pause
- removed ability to give orders while unpaused (for both player and tactical level AI)
- defined some unit of time as turn tick and made autopause activate at the beginning of each turn.
?

You'd have TB with exact same simultaneous resolution as RTWP allows.

That would require good pathfinding. The pathfinding is the weakness of the IE combat, and why you have to babysit your characters every inch in hard battles.

Drowed

Arcane
Retarded individual said:

...What the fucking holy fuck is that? I mean, seriously, god. Just no. :rage:

10\10, would rage again.

Nikolaj

Educated

Gary Grigsby's War in the East.

He now stands corrected and the issue can be laid to rest.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
sea Perhaps you should explain this metaphysic retardation away with a comparison like comic books vs. movies; just because the story is told in panels doesn't mean the universe stops and "the natural order is suspended" while Spiderman shoots a web at something. Imagination fills the gaps.

But smudboy is okay with comics as far as metaphysics go. The reason he singles out turn based combat is because it shows something in a different way time-flow wise, rather than the way they would play out if the game would employ standard linear timeflow i.e. rtwp or any other game really.

bminorkey

i feel like this thread holds analyzing smudboy and sea's argument in more importance than discussing the fundamental question that underlies it which is why in christ's sake was this made into a video

Last edited by a moderator:

Cipher
It would be great if some one could convince him that it's his personal malfunction if he can't percieve nor comprehend events that are not to be taken literally. But I don't think there'll be a successful ending to that, seeing how deep he's entrenched him self with the misguided idea over the metaphysics bullshit. The water will likely remain proverbially blue with him. The entertainment value of it all is, of course, another matter.
So, convince him he might have some obscure medical condition?
Like a condition we just made up?

Convincing him that his critique is based on a misunderstanding of genre convention ought to be enough. Of course he's too invested at this point in looking smart to his viewers to actually consider any such thing.

Mouth-breather deletes comments even if you disagree with someone who agrees with him. What a bucket of troll spunk this creature is.

How annoying, he actually hid the comments that disagree?

edit: oh yeah he did, there goes the long and civil reply I bothered to write. Fuck him then.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom