Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPS Top 50 FPS

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are few things as unproductive, reductive and plain stupid as putting together top ten lists. So I made my own within a couple of minutes, imbued with idiosyncratic notions that elevate some games that are oft forgotten, no doubt to a salubrious helping of chagrin on the part of those who take these things more seriously than deserved.
  1. Blood
  2. F.E.A.R.
  3. Operation: Flashpoint
  4. Prey (2006)
  5. SiN
  6. Cryostasis
  7. Dark Forces II
  8. Hexen II
  9. Unreal
  10. Ion Maiden

cryostasis is the greatest game that nobody played but the fact that quake or doom aren't in this list anywhere is sad

Ash

Arcane
he's attempting to make an underrated top ten. But then puts Blood at #1 and FEAR at #2, which are both of the cuckdex's most overrated FPS games. :smug:

Blood does deserve to be overrated though, unlike FEAR.

I also just want to add that Prey 2006 is a total snoozefest. They spent 10x more time making fancy visual animations and effects than they did gameplay.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
he's attempting to make an underrated top ten. But then puts Blood at #1 and FEAR at #2, which are both of the cuckdex's most overrated FPS games. :smug:

This coming from the guy who puts McDonalds Toy Doom at number 11. Has Far Cry 4 Retards but not Far Cry 2. Has Doom 2016 before Doom 3 (Doom 3 should be above both Eternal and 2016 neither of which should even be on a list). Wolfenstein 2009 being that high on a list also dumb, it's an exceedingly mediocre game with a lot of time-wasting semi-open world crap.

I also just want to add that Prey 2006 is a total snoozefest. They spent 10x more time making fancy visual animations and effects than they did gameplay.
Agreed on this, though. Tasteless poseurs tried to pretend that Prey 2006 was some forgotten masterpiece when Arkane's Prey came out, when in reality it was nothing more than a braindead easy and repetitive (admittedly most FPS are repetitive but Prey 2006 had almost no enemy variety, terrible enemy AI, and no thought put into encounters) game with an admittedly nice visual direction and cool set-pieces.

Ash

Arcane

This coming from the guy who puts McDonalds Toy Doom at number 11. Has Far Cry 4 Retards but not Far Cry 2. Has Doom 2016 before Doom 3 (Doom 3 should be above both Eternal and 2016 neither of which should even be on a list). Wolfenstein 2009 being that high on a list also dumb, it's an exceedingly mediocre game with a lot of time-wasting semi-open world crap.

McDoom is gud, sorry Sir. I don't care if your game looks slightly like McD's toys if the gameplay is good. Doom 2016 and Doom 3 are both rather unremarkable who cares if one is above the other. Wolf 2009 is definitely not that great, definitely suffers from generic design, but I enjoy it. the guns are fun. The level design is alright. An FPS needs those two first and foremost yet so many fail, with absolutely terrible level design in particular. And lastly Far Cry 2 meh. Top 30-50 material.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom