Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you could not complete

Cadmus

Arcane
I didn't have much trouble with Wizardry 8.

Currently I'm trying to play BG1 but it's so fucking boring I don't know how far I'll get.
Didn't finish Fallout 2 cuz of retarded journal so when I got back into the game after a pause, I had no idea what to do. The game is bloated and kinda stupid imo.
Didn't finish DA:O cuz it was boring, I quit in the final area where there's an attack on some city and it felt like a big wannabe cinematic set piece.
Tried JA2 a few times and didn't finish but I will one day.
Didn't finish Skyrim cuz the game sucked assholes and I gave up early in the main story cuz of some bug I couldn't be arsed to solve.

k0syak

Cipher
Pools of Darkness - got bored by endless random fights around the Moander part. Had no journal/walkthrough and no idea what's going on.
Ishar 2 (or was it 3?) - played both in French, managed to complete one of them. Would probably finish both if they were in English.
Risen 3, Dragon Age something, ME 2 and 3, Skyrim, Amalur - played each one for a few hours, uninstalled because each one gave me an urge to go discover something that's actually good (KotC, japanese Wiz knockoffs etc). After trying Arkania:gothic I had to play through Gothic 1-3 to get rid of the horror :)

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Fallout 2. Save file error too far into the game.

Final Fantasy XII. Got the final boss down to 5,000/288,299 of his health after 20-30 attempts and then realized the game wasn't going to let me finish on my terms unless I revisited an earlier save file, did several hours worth of grinding, then replayed through several hours worth of content.

... no way that was going to happen.

Xenosaga: Episode I ... why are the Xenosaga games so long?

Hitman: Blood Money.

Valkyria Chronicles. PlayStation 3 crashed when I was right near the end. I saw my brother beat it anyway.

Final Fantasy IV. I always get bored in the end game.

Caesar III ... I only ever owned the demo.

Banner Saga.

Quest 64. None of you know what that is.

Morrowind. For every fun thing that happens in an Elder Scrolls game, there are several hours of feeling sick to the pit of your stomach over how hard you are wasting your time.

Hitman Blood Money

Really dude?

Personally I only remember quitting games like the Shin Megami series (all of the ones on the DS, like the Devil Survivor ones that are quite good and the abomination FPS-style one that is called Strange Journey) and Disgaea games.

Because they are all too fucking grindy.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think the my biggest failure is the original "The Bard's Tale".

I can only save in towns and there are 16 big dungeons to explore - many with teleporters, rotators and darkness. I played hundreds
og hours and came to dungeon 12/16 if I recall correctly but could not stand it any more.

I have seen CRGAddict complete in 8 hours. I wonder how he did that.
You can do it! I'm sure you could do it in 8 hours with the maps in your lap and such, and uh, lots of deaths/restarts... It was a lot easier to get in the right frame of mind for Bard's Tale when it was new, original, and there wasn't really any competition. All its contemporaries used 1st/2nd edition D&D XP systems, which not only mandated grinding for levels, but paltry xps for death-dealing enemies. Just how it was.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Finished a pretty sizeable portion of the games I start, but a lot (Wiz 8/JA 2) I never started, so I guess they don't count. Someday...

Might & Magic 2: First two tries, made it to level 12 or so and party started dying of old age... Ghosts or something both times, but almost drove me mad.
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday: Game bug. Couldn't continue
FO Tactics: I don't know, not really what I wanted...
Dark Queen of Krynn: Now this, I really wanted to finish, but I stopped playing for a couple months and when I returned, I couldn't remember a damn thing about the story, what I should be doing, or where I was supposed to go. Just a complete blank.

Skyrim: Just can't get over how dumbed-down it was from Morrowind. I thought Oblivion was dumbed down Morrowind. I was wrong. This game doesn't do anything for me.
Might & Magic X: Kinda kicked the tires on it, and maybe made it to level 3. Still on the fence about it, but almost sure I'll finish it. Eventually.

Deleted member 7219

RPGs? Of the big names on the Codex, I can think of three:

Arcanum. The worst combat I've ever seen in a video game (except for ARPGs like Diablo and Titan Quest)

Baldur's Gate II. Shitty combat there too.

Icewind Dale I and II. Didn't see the point of the game. If you make an RPG with a great setting and incredible art design, why fill it to the top with monsters? Such a waste.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Hitman Blood Money

Really dude?

Personally I only remember quitting games like the Shin Megami series (all of the ones on the DS, like the Devil Survivor ones that are quite good and the abomination FPS-style one that is called Strange Journey) and Disgaea games.

Because they are all too fucking grindy.

Me and two friends took turns playing to completion, but I played the least, so I consider it unbeaten. Conversely, my brother and I took turned playing Majora's Mask and Final Fantasy X, but I did a co-equal amount of playing so I consider them having been beaten.

Not surprised at the list of JRPGs though.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Icewind Dale I and II. Didn't see the point of the game. If you make an RPG with a great setting and incredible art design, why fill it to the top with monsters? Such a waste.
Because it's a hack and slash? So you cant have an action RPG with a great setting and art design?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

You do know most of the early Shin Megami Tensei games are in first person, right?

Anyway, I remember I could never finish Oblivion or Skyrim. For Oblivion the biggest detriment was the fucked leveling system/scaling and for Skyrim it was just too fucking. Seriously, almost everything feels the same in that game. Morrowind as well, I just never felt compelled enough to go past talking to Caius Cosades. I usually play for a good 2-3 hours, find him, go out a bit, take a break and never want to go back into the game again. It's odd, most of the game I'm fine with right down to the dice-roll combat.

I pulled that stunt at least three times.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fallout Tactics

Quit playing the game right before entering Vault 0, then lost my save.

Legend of Grimrock

Could not pass the endless corridor puzzle-thing.

Morrowind as well, I just never felt compelled enough to go past talking to Caius Cosades. I usually play for a good 2-3 hours, find him, go out a bit, take a break and never want to go back into the game again. It's odd, most of the game I'm fine with right down to the dice-roll combat.

Caius is literally five minutes into the game, though...just take the bus in front of the office and you land almost on top of his house. Is it even possible to get sick of a game that fast?

(I assume the rest of that time is spent derping around in the tutorial area, which by nature is boring and easy)

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
I think at least half of the players that abandoned game at around Casades did it because of horrible walking crawling speed.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Morrowind as well, I just never felt compelled enough to go past talking to Caius Cosades. I usually play for a good 2-3 hours, find him, go out a bit, take a break and never want to go back into the game again. It's odd, most of the game I'm fine with right down to the dice-roll combat.

Caius is literally five minutes into the game, though...just take the bus in front of the office and you land almost on top of his house. Is it even possible to get sick of a game that fast?

(I assume the rest of that time is spent derping around in the tutorial area, which by nature is boring and easy)

I mostly derp around the city, actually. But Main Quest-wise, I never got past Caius.

Might play again with a more entertaining build though. Maybe a Battlemage-type guy. Or just pure magic, sounds like fun. Most of the time I chose Warriors or Rogues, could use a bit more magic.

Enchanted trinkets cover many of the convenience spells, but mages have more freedom to dick around with spellcrafting. You find amulets of mark and recall early on, which makes questing a lot easier. (complete objective, teleport back to questgiver, gg)

I think at least half of the players that abandoned game at around Casades did it because of horrible walking crawling speed.

True, thankfully it gets better at Speed 50. Khajiit scout born under the Steed sign = G O T T A G O F A S T

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
As many as Morrowind's flaws are, there is something about this game that is hard to resist. I've finished it once, and plan on plaing again.

Dukatenscheisser

Educated
Hi guys, this is my first post!!1

Baldur's Gate 2 - Not a big fan of high level ad&d, quited mostly because I got bored of the combat and constantly having to buff my party with magic and debuff enemies. Mages that insta-cast ton of defensive magic at the begining of an encounter were especially annoying. First BG I like and it's my favourite d&d computer game.

Icewind Dale 2 - Same as BG2. Lots of boring combat, altough first IWD I enjoyed playing.

TWitcher - I didn't like combat mechanics and the game was mostly about fighting monsters. Also I couldn't get into the story and the setting. If I want easter european adventure all I need to do is to go outside my house.

Deus ex HR
- That's rpg, right? (WRONG!) Story is super cheesy and gameplay is all about hiding behind tables. I want to play RPGs as a hero not as a pussy.

Risen 2 - I couldn't stand the combat and it felt much more linear than original Risen. First Risen had much better combat and exploring that felt interesting and rewarding.

Arcanum - Music is one of the main reasons I hate arcanum. It just kills the atmosphere form me. Another thing that killed it for me was combat. Animation was lame and I could't understand the action point sistem. I was spoiled by Fallout which had excelent combat animations and overall graphic and great atmospheric music.

Chronotriger - I hate JRPGs and I hate this one especially because of how much time I spent on it forcing myself to find out what is so great about it because everybody were praising it. Also the standard JRPG combat didn't appeal to me.

Turok

Erudite
Dragon Age (i really try but the romance shit fuck my gameplay).
Arx Fatalis
Morrowind (i think i not even begin playing it, i remember enter in the 2 nd big city and i found everything empty and artificial, same with the dungeons, all generic, same happen to me when i try play oblivion and skyrim)
Ultima VIII, my first rpg, the first time i play it i no know english (i still dont know english), i was playing with a dictionary but i never go outside the first city, after i learn some english years after, i play up to 50% i think and stop, studing and never finish it.
Ultima 9, no need explanation.
Risen for god sake...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arcanum - Music is one of the main reasons I hate arcanum. It just kills the atmosphere form me.

I have seen this criticism before on various message boards, and I swear I will never understand it. Arcanum has one of the scores most uniquely memorable and suited to its content that I have ever heard in a game.
Must be the bit where you hear the same tune over and over again.

A user named cat

Arcanum - Music is one of the main reasons I hate arcanum. It just kills the atmosphere form me.

I have seen this criticism before on various message boards, and I swear I will never understand it. Arcanum has one of the scores most uniquely memorable and suited to its content that I have ever heard in a game.
It's no Divine Divinity as far as being so perfectly suited to its environments but I certainly loved all the violin music too and found it quite memorable. Anytime I even see something resembling steampunk nowadays, I start hearing Arcanum tunes in my head. So that says something.

Must be the bit where you hear the same tune over and over again.
Well a quick youtube search suggests that its soundtrack was not appreciably shorter than its peers.

I don't especially disagree with the criticism that Arcanum's soundtrack is repetitive, but I think that's just a valid criticism of game soundtracks in general.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom