Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGDot's RPG of the Year contest

Spazmo

Erudite
Our pals at <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a> are once again having their <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10057>RPG of the Year contest</a>. They call it a contest because the readers decide who wins the prize. So head on over to <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10057>RPGDot's thingie</a> and vote for your favourite games.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Hmm, I found myself voting for KotOR more than I had expected. I like the game, but the competition hasn't exactly been fierce this year.

triCritical

Erudite
I only voted for KotOR for sound, atmosphere and surprise, because I thought it was going to suck more then NWN.

Gladius got my top votes, Final Fantasy Tactics in Ancient Rome worked for me.

I can't believe I said my dream game would be a MIght and Magic X, I'm one sick puppy.

EDIT: I voted Wasteland to be my antipated game of 2004.

Psilon

Erudite
I voted for Wizardry IX; that's about as old-school as the list had, though a Star Trek MMORPG could, well, suck. Even before you add in Voyager and Enterprise.

Really, though, what I want is a graphical roguelike with a serious art budget, the depth and replayability of a NetHack or ADOM, and a movement system ripped from Fallout or Geneforge.

Then I want to throw snowballs in hell. I think the latter wish has a slightly higher chance of coming true.

Rosh

Erudite
Falcon's Eye isn't that far from what you describe. Sure, it needs a bit of patience to get to know the interface, but it is one of the better Winblows graphical mods of NetHack out there.

Severian Silk

Rosh said:
Falcon's Eye isn't that far from what you describe. Sure, it needs a bit of patience to get to know the interface, but it is one of the better Winblows graphical mods of NetHack out there.

The controls aren't like Fallout's or JA2. One improvement over Fallout or JA2 is that when you move your cursor to the edge of the screen, an arrow appears. Then, you click your mouse button in order to scroll the screen.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Psilon said:
I Really, though, what I want is a graphical roguelike with a serious art budget, the depth and replayability of a NetHack or ADOM,
I fully agree here but I'm not sure about this:
and a movement system ripped from Fallout or Geneforge.
The problem is with fighting. It shouldn't be in turns like in those 2 games, where you can do many things while your opponents stand still. It shouldn't be RT, too. So I think just ADOM with better graphics would be swell. Heck, the game's f*cking great in the text mode already.
But if you're only saying you'd like to move by clicking the mouse, I could agree for such an option.
Another problem with having fancy graphics is playing speed. I've been playing ADOM for more than 5 years now (I think) and I'm running through it at such speed that couldn't be represented if the game had Falloutish graphics. Think about the "w"+"arrow" commands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom