Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGDev contest concluded

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The contest at <A href="http://www.rpg-dev.net/">RPG-Dev</a> has finished, and now they're taking votes on who the winner is with this announcement:

<blockquote>You can now vote for who you think should be the winner of the RPG-Dev.net Summer 2003 RPG Competition. Voting will last all this week.

Only 3 RPGs made it to the final voting after a lot of people dropped out. None of them are complete (some more than others). However, it is the first RPG-Dev.net competition and holding a competition near the end of the summer is bound to cause problems since a lot of people have other obligations.

So, be sure to try them all out and vote! </blockquote>

So, none of them got finished in a week, with well over half of them dropping out. I guess they just weren't trying, right, <b>Barok</b>?

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
I don't think the "end of summer" thing was the problem personally. I think it probably had more to do with the "one week" thing.
None of them were finished - so what did they submit? art? design docs? a piece of paper with their idea on it?
"we asked people to make moive in a week - most weren't finished but we got some kick ass storyboards!"

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
It would have been nice if they linked the 3 entries that made it to voting or at least told you how to vote. As of now I see nothing of the sort on the website's news article regarding this competition. I think it's indicative of just how sloppy this whole thing has been. 1 week to make a functioning RPG? Pretty ridiculous. I hope they learn from this experience seeing as this contest has fallen flat on its face.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Not to mention "be sure to try them all out and vote"

Be sure to try *what* out? Unfinished levels? A buggy barely completed level of a RPG made in a week? Ooo fun! Christ most CRPGs nowadyas with years of dev time and miillions of dollars of expense behind them aren't worth checking out.

I'm not trying to be overly harsh because the folks behind this seem to have their hearts in the right place but ...yeesh.

chiefnewo

Liturgist
The only reason I can think of to explain their one week deadline is to avoid people getting bored and quitting, as may happen with a long deadline.
Of course they ended up going too far the other way, and ended up with people quitting due to the unrealistically short deadline.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I think the best competition they could do would be something where they have a set date, say 6 months from now, where anyone can submit an RPG they've made. Whether that RPG is made IN that 6 months, or whether it's been under development for 3 years or more, it can be submitted. Of course, you'd break the categories up into 'RPG's made in 6 months', 'RPG's made in 1 year' and so on, so as not to disenhearten anyone from starting one when they know of someone who's been spending 3 yearsoin theirs, but a competition like that would allow a lot more finished entries. It would also be quality++.

Can we call them noobs now, for not finishing any of their RPGs? :)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
chiefnewo said:
The only reason I can think of to explain their one week deadline is to avoid people getting bored and quitting, as may happen with a long deadline.
Of course they ended up going too far the other way, and ended up with people quitting due to the unrealistically short deadline.

That's why I suggested breaking the contest down in to four, smaller contests based on development milestones over the course of six weeks. You have goals every one to two weeks that way, to remove "boredom", and you still have more time.

Oh, and my little commentary on it is based on one of the RPGDev.net web dudes saying on this forum that if you can't develop a simple RPG in a week, you're just not trying. His words. Kinda funny none of them finished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom