Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG with the best monster raising mechanics?

It took so many posts until someone said Geneforge. Is the old codex guard truly on their way out? It's more likely than you think. Letting the meek populate the site... please.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Is the old codex guard truly on their way out?
Geneforge is certainly not considered in any way shape or form something that most codex "old guard" care about.
Edit: Check any major older polls or best of articles and Geneforge is barely mentioned or at the bottom.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
But it's not the only thing. Tamagotchi simulators are not RPGs.
You do realize Digimon (boy's tamagotchi) have stats they use to decide their evolution path right? Digimon World 1's core gameplay involves using the gym to train your stats until you're strong enough to explore different biomes. There is no way it wouldn't be considered a RPG.

I wish there were more digimon game threads. The games are all janky but they're fun jank.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But it's not the only thing. Tamagotchi simulators are not RPGs.
You do realize Digimon (boy's tamagotchi) have stats they use to decide their evolution path right? Digimon World 1's core gameplay involves using the gym to train your stats until you're strong enough to explore different biomes. There is no way it wouldn't be considered a RPG.

I wish there were more digimon game threads. The games are all janky but they're fun jank.

They are weaboo faggot shit, and there is a dedicated subforum for that kind of degeneracy.

Which was my point from the start. I didn't say these games don't exist, I said they belong in the appropriate subforum.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It took so many posts until someone said Geneforge. Is the old codex guard truly on their way out? It's more likely than you think. Letting the meek populate the site... please.

There's not really any monster raising mechanics in Geneforge and zero monster catching. You just create summons and upgrade some stats (though there's a bit more in the remake). It's obvious this thread is talking about Pokemon-likes.

Exile/Avernum 2 & 3 have "monster catching" with the capture soul mechanic, but you don't "raise" them.

Zero CHAR

Novice
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Geneforge 3 is the only one in the series I played at it was alright, if you want something more modern you'll have to look at Japanese games.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Geneforge 3 is the only one in the series I played at it was alright, if you want something more modern you'll have to look at Japanese games.
Most of the new monster raising stuff isn't Japanese. Pal world is the most interesting and it's Asian but not Japanese. The rest like Anode Heart are Western made based off of Japanese ideas.

Zero CHAR

Novice
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Most of the new monster raising stuff isn't Japanese. Pal world is the most interesting and it's Asian but not Japanese. The rest like Anode Heart are Western made based off of Japanese ideas.
They still look extremely juvenile, might as well be Japanese games.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
They still look extremely juvenile, might as well be Japanese games.
How would you want them to look?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I agree that Geneforge is not really a "monster training game", but it's close enough. You don't go out and capture the monsters, but you do need to learn how to craft them. I also never tried training/levelling them, I would just re-shape as necessary, not caring whether they lived or died. Not sure why a shaper would want to train a creature over the course of the game, rather than just shape it in a state sufficient for its purpose.

Geneforge 3 is regarded as the worst of them. Please to be giving the series another go, try the remake of 1 if you need fancy graphics and a peacock summon.

std::namespace

there is roguelike where you collect combine monsters
i think its called demons or seomthing

Cross

Arcane
The game with the best monster combining mechanic is Impossible Creatures, but it's not an RPG.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Don't sleep on SaGa Frontier. You don't really catch monsters, but some of your party members are classified as monsters. Whenever the party defeats an enemy monster they have a chance of absorbing one of enemy skills, in addition to that if a skill is absorbed monsters HP slightly increases. After you choose to absorb a skill the game chooses new form for monster character based on its current HP and available skills. I think it's pretty neat if you're interested in a stuff like that.

Unwanted

Cologno

Unwanted
Played the shit out of Siralim series on flights and layovers. Ultimate is supposedly pretty good too.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Don't sleep on SaGa Frontier. You don't really catch monsters, but some of your party members are classified as monsters. Whenever the party defeats an enemy monster they have a chance of absorbing one of enemy skills, in addition to that if a skill is absorbed monsters HP slightly increases. After you choose to absorb a skill the game chooses new form for monster character based on its current HP and available skills. I think it's pretty neat if you're interested in a stuff like that.
Don't you make monsters in Final fantasy adventure games? (i.e. Saga)

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
*cough* you can capture and combine monsters in Dominus *cough*

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I loved that you could capture and enslave any human (even very powerful ones) in Conan Exiles and put them on your Wheel of Pain and break them to be your combat thralls, but those weren't monsters; well, not non-human ones anyway. Edited: also, you could raise proper monsters/fierce animals in CE by stealing eggs or cubs and hatching or raising them in your hatcheries and pens. Saber tooth tigers were by far the most fearsome.

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Geneforge
Thank you. That was what I was going to reply to the "Actual RPGs don't have monster raising mechanics" post. I actually played a game of Geneforge where my goal was to keep my creations alive through the whole game. Of course, I did get a few killed, but it made for a fun challenge, rather than just using them as disposable minions.

Beastro

Arcane
Came specifically to see how long it would take for Geneforge to be mentioned.

May have taken abit for it, but happy it's dominating the convo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom