Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG where you play somebody else's follower??

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Percy said:
I'd play it.

I'd also play a RTS with RPG elements (ie: crusader kings) using Dnd system and leveling to resolve combat.

bg_skull2b.jpg

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I don`t think it would become a railroad if done right.

As an example, why not play one of the grey figures that stand behind major events/kingdoms/heroes?
I don`t mean a powerful person but a master conman which is able to influence people by mindfuck and by being at the right time in the right place or be able to manipulate people and events to railroad the final decision of the main character.
Your role in the story is marginal in the game world due to your need to keep a low profile but at the same time it allows a fair bit of C&C and the possibilities of character development are plenty aswell: are you going to allocate abilities into disguise, acting and imitating voices and switch places with the high priest at the right time or will you make the poor sod doubt his faith by orchestrating a master plan that caould change his mind?
Possibilities are endless I think, a pity that the current game industry is like this now, no chances to have a deep game even if...

laclongquan

Arcane
Every minor character always is the main hero of his life's story. So in essence, the proposal go against this rule. The only way it work is that you make a grand game with multitude of characters and set some missions aside for each character. Saga Frontier done this once, but I am sure no one remember it much. Unmemorable.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
laclongquan said:
Every minor character always is the main hero of his life's story. So in essence, the proposal go against this rule. The only way it work is that you make a grand game with multitude of characters and set some missions aside for each character. Saga Frontier done this once, but I am sure no one remember it much. Unmemorable.

Final Fantasy 6 did it as well. Surprisingly, it's also one of the highest regarded Final Fantasies when it comes to the story and characters.

Elzair

Cipher
mondblut said:
JE? It's that Mortal Kombat ripoff with bioware hypertext dating sim minigame? LOL.

Jade Empire is not a ripoff of Mortal Kombat. It is a ripoff of Little Ninja Bros!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom