Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Vault impressions of Sacred

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Sacred

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> posted some <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/503/503805p1.html>impressions</a> of <a href=http://www.sacred-game.com>Sacred</a>. For obvious reasons, nothing new is revealed.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Advancement in levels is based on experience gained by defeating enemies and completing quests, with the former seeming to be the far larger source. A second aspect involves the aforementioned combat arts. Each character begins with one, and a single interface slot in which to equip it. When you reach certain levels, you gain additional spaces, which can be filled using rune-like objects you find. Leveling up happens quite quickly early on, so you can gain half a dozen or more, which also give you a pair of new slots, within a couple of hours or so, and possibly faster if you focus on it. Enemies are pretty straightforward so far, with humans, wolves, goblins et al. From the preview build played previously, it's known that there are more impressive ones later in the game. I just haven't gotten to them yet. The opponent AI seems quite standard; if you get within a certain distance, they attack, and if you run far enough, they stop chasing. In quite a few instances, you'll encounter groups, but if you can't handle them all at once, you can often divide and conquer by pulling one or two at a time. </blockquote>The prestigious RPG Codex award for the most pointless article goes to ... *dramatic pause* ... RPG Vault!!!
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Fireblade

Erudite
I stopped reading RPG Vault when the stupid MMORPG craze really kicked into high gear, and it seemed like like 80-90% of the news entries there were MMORPG updates... Based on a quick survey of their news page, looks like that's still pretty close to the truth.

Malak

Liturgist
I should point out that half the news you guys serve is announcing other sites are actually talking about games. That's probably why their sites are more active too. I don't think anyone comes to rpgcodex for news :/

Psilon

Erudite
We're like Slashdot in that respect. We post links to other sites, make fun of them, and then the self-righteous trolls come in.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Malak said:
I should point out that half the news you guys serve is announcing other sites are actually talking about games. That's probably why their sites are more active too. I don't think anyone comes to rpgcodex for news :/

I do, you fuckwit.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Malak said:
I don't think anyone comes to rpgcodex for news :/

Ahem... I certainly do. I have the front page book-marked, not the forums. The forums are entertaining, sometimes informative - but the front page news is the focus of the site (for me at least.) No console news, no MMO's - just news with a heavy slant towards turn-based, isometric RPG's. And what's wrong with that?

Just because the news doesn't come directly from Codex principals' own journalistic investigations (although some of it does) doesn't make it any less newsworthy. And I don't have to mash through a bunch of news I don't care for to find information I might find interesting.

Fireblade

Erudite
Yeah I come here for news too. Usually it's not first-hand news, but it's the news, filtered by people with similar taste in games, so I don't have to sort through all the crap myself.

Jung

Liturgist
The seamy underbelly of your seamy underbelly
Malak said:

I visit for news...and they don't censor me if I say "Eat my fuck!" or some such.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
This place and Avault are the only two gaming sites I really ever visit with the exception of the ocassional link from either site. But I come here before I go to the Avault simply because RPGs are my bag and these people know what they like and it happens to be what I like. Most of the other gaming news sites out there are crap.

kthxbye

Balthus

Novice
I don't think anyone comes to rpgcodex for news :/
I do, especially because i don't have to sift through the bullshit other sites are posting. Then there are also the nice remarks rpgcodex has got. Those are half the fun

Voss

Erudite
Mostly come for the news. Stay for the eye-rolling and the odd interesting discussion.

Limorkil

Liturgist
I come here for news because the site generally only has news about stuff I am interested in, so they do the filtering for me. Also, I appreciate the fact that this site does not swallow the hype like every other site. If a game really is an astounding example of its type (and note it does not necessarily have to be an rpg) then that is what you will see here. And if the game is a shallow, moronic, hyped-up piece of shit then you see that too.

Plus people here seem to be able to argue about stuff without taking their ball home in a sulk.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I come here for a good bitch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom