Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Taxonomy

Hormalakh

Magister
But WHAT are RPG elements? Clearly since we have no definition of RPG we can't tag it with "RPG elements." Each of these definitions must get broken down further and further.

In any case I think the main categories needs a "Character C&C"

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Again, in the end game this could be all user generated. What ever you think is an RPG element, you can add as a tag.

It's all very post modern.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Haba, I think the goal is just to define traits that people can use to narrow down games into what they would find interesting. It is not to assign scores of "rpgness" to games.
Oh if that's the point of this thread, then I misunderstood. Don't call it RPG taxonomy then, call it games taxonomy and then stick "Choices and Consequences for the character" up as a category.
Yes, I was sure that at least one of the more educated Codexers will be thrown off by the "taxonomy" term, because that's not the right term for what I'm trying to do. I'm not going for the Dewey approach, which means that "taxonomy" is, pretty much, the opposite of what I'm trying to do. I was wondering how much it would take until this happened and I'm pleasantly surprised by the Codex that it produced this fast a Codexer knowledgeable enough to notice this.:)

Hormalakh

Magister
Haba, I think the goal is just to define traits that people can use to narrow down games into what they would find interesting. It is not to assign scores of "rpgness" to games.
Oh if that's the point of this thread, then I misunderstood. Don't call it RPG taxonomy then, call it games taxonomy and then stick "Choices and Consequences for the character" up as a category.
Yes, I was sure that at least one of the more educated Codexers will be thrown off by the "taxonomy" term, because that's not the right term for what I'm trying to do. I'm not going for the Dewey approach, which means that "taxonomy" is, pretty much, the opposite of what I'm trying to do. I was wondering how much it would take until this happened and I'm pleasantly surprised by the Codex that it produced this fast a Codexer knowledgeable enough to notice this.:)

shove it up your ass Karmapowered.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Edit: also I think the perspective options need to be different. We need 2 1st person perspectives to differentiate between Deus Ex and Wizardry. I also don't think that over the shoulder and 1st person should be the same category, though obviously some games use both.

Quite the contrary. The perspective is the same. The differences between Deus Ex and Wizardry are elsewhere. The fact that the Wizardry camera is more constrained compared to the Deus Ex one doesn't mean that they don't share the same perspective. A more apt comparison would be between Ultima Underworld (which is widely considered the ancestor of Deus Ex by way of System Shock) and Wizardry. The most obvious difference between the two is that UU (and its lineage) has real-time combat while Wizardry (and its lineage) has turn-based combat.

Another important difference is grid (tile)-based movement vs. free (continuous) movement. I think it should be classified too. This could also apply to isometric games (Fallout vs. ToEE).

Karmapowered

Augur

Don't persist maintining you had any clue about how this all would work less than an hour ago, at the time of your posting. You only kept making a fool of yourself.

Granted, objection can be raised about the thread title, but like any other title it can't be edited (to my knowledge), and anyone that reads the thread from the beginning will understand within a couple of posts what it's really about. You obviously didn't. I'm not even sure you do now, with all the explanations that you were given.

Should teach me not to have quoted all your non-sense and picked it apart line by line, instead of making your education, but I am more interested in this thread and see the project it's about progressing than entering a poor-man "insults" contest with newbies. Sorry to disappoint.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Another distinction that can be made in how skills/stats are developed in classless progression is the number of point pools. For example, Fallout has separate point pools for skills, SPECIAL stats, and perks, whereas Vampire Bloodlines has a single exp pool.

Maybe also if the player character is predefined? The Nameless One or The Exile, for example. Although, it's a bit of a sliding scale.

J1M

Arcane
I think the point is when it's done if someone wants put Halo in the database they can. Just tag it with the RPG elements that apply to it.
Exactly!
You should design your catalogue so that it will be clear to users when an older title has yet to be categorized for a new set of tags. That way you don't end up adding a tag for "deck-building" and having only one game in the database with that property. The first person to visit the arcanum page after the deckbuilding tag is added can select "no deckbuilding".

It would also be useful to provide a way of searching out games that need tagging decisions completed so you can make it easier for people to complete the database for less popular games that wont be searched out by name.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You should design your catalogue so that it will be clear to users when an older title has yet to be categorized for a new set of tags. That way you don't end up adding a tag for "deck-building" and having only one game in the database with that property. The first person to visit the arcanum page after the deckbuilding tag is added can select "no deckbuilding".

It would also be useful to provide a way of searching out games that need tagging decisions completed so you can make it easier for people to complete the database for less popular games that wont be searched out by name.
Good ideas! Noted

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

You can't really identify the core "traits" without doing proper analysis. C&C, for example, is very minuscule if you look at all RPG's released over the years.

Or then you can go with complete freedom, of course:
http://www.mangaupdates.com/categories.html?page=1&search=protagonist

Even in this case, the data provides interesting analysis opportunities.

From the above example...
Emotionally Strong Male Lead 15
Emotionally Strong Female Lead 684

joeydohn

Savant

You can't really identify the core "traits" without doing proper analysis. C&C, for example, is very minuscule if you look at all RPG's released over the years.

I think this is more relevant to the Codex.

Androgynous Female Protagonist 0
Androgynous Male Protagonist 1276

This topic interests me quite a bit, because I enjoy sorting things and think there aren't enough resources for easily/quickly finding new things you might like in regards to games, music, movies that aren't as well known, popular or in so new they're in the cinema.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar

This topic interests me quite a bit, because I enjoy sorting things and think there aren't enough resources for easily/quickly finding new things you might like in regards to games, music, movies that aren't as well known, popular or in so new they're in the cinema.

Funny, it would seem that site never heard of Soul Eater. It's a shonen manga with an uncharacteristic female protagonist who is really only girly in that she wears a short skirt and has a few comic panty shots (in manga, but MAGIC SKIRT in anime), but she otherwise is quite what I would classify androgynous. As a side note she has my favorite angrilly hitting stuff face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9FGi9cYGok&feature=player_detailpage#t=84s

Precious and in cold blood.

joeydohn

Savant

Funny, it would seem that site never heard of Soul Eater. It's a shonen manga with an uncharacteristic female protagonist who is really only girly in that she wears a short skirt and has a few comic panty shots (in manga, but MAGIC SKIRT in anime), but she otherwise is quite what I would classify androgynous. As a side note she has my favorite angrilly hitting stuff face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9FGi9cYGok&feature=player_detailpage#t=84s

Precious and in cold blood.

I would say it's simply a case of the internet being more interested in androgynous/feminine males than they are androgynous/masculine females.

(btw that was Maka at 1:24).

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Would be really interesting to see what happens if someone bothered to go though all the major cRPG's with the same scrutiny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom