Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG of the year?

Which rpg is the best this year?

• ELEX

Votes: 59 18.1%
  • Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Votes: 56 17.2%
  • Expeditions: Viking

Votes: 23 7.1%
  • Divinity:Original sin 2

Votes: 92 28.2%
  • South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Spellforce 3

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • The Surge

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Nier: Automata

Votes: 20 6.1%
  • Galaxy of Pen & Paper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pyre

• Cat Quest

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hand of Fate 2

• Battle Chasers: Nightwar

• Mages of Mystralia

• Regalia: Of Men And Monarchs

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • West of Loathing

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • Vaporum

• Seven: The Days Long Gone

• Demons Age

• Hyakki Castle

• The Keep

• Willy-Nilly Knight

• Ticket to Earth

• Devoid of Shadows

• Children of Zodiarcs

• Fall of Light

• Mass Effect: Andromeda

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • QueenComrade!!!

Votes: 27 8.3%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Thank you for sharing your point of view, Luckmann. It wasn't necessary, you made it very clear the first time around, though.
This being said, I can't help but notice you skipped the first page :( , surely you didn't do it on purpose. Please fix these summaries as well !
I mean, i'm trying to help you here. Otherwise You'd confirm what I said about people who think the whole list is cancer because they don't like the presence of a pair of titles...
678214curator.png

Or the third page, maybe. Looks like the curator quickly edited his BG:EE recommandation, it probably said something like "I STRONGLY RECOMMEND BEAMDOG'S WORK, ALTHOUGH HAVE YOU TRIED THE ROMANCE MODS EXCLUSIVE TO EE ?"

314622curator2.png

Feel free to fix the other games' summaries here as well. Your insight is valuable.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Well the best 2017 RPG I have played is a pokemon clone Evowok breeder which is a cool and overall quite unusual, hard and very big indie game whose development started more than 10 years ago. As its core it's a hard version of pokemon with fun combats and monster management first and foremost and a main quest about becoming famous as a breeder. However its tone and narrative approach to quests involving a lot of freedom are somewhat close to games like Fallout (the example chosen by the developper but I kind of agree). Unfortunately the character stat system is limited and, worse than that, the game totally lacks of any freeform character developpement, you have XPs to allocate to your monsters' skills but your character only improves by directly using a skill or by meeting teachers or solving some quests.

There are questoniable design choices but also good ones, especially a particularly good approach to death and saving system. All your actions are registered, and death is definitive but during the game you accumulate luck points which allow to face a bad outcome instead of instant death by losing a luck point instead. It's perfect for such a big game with pokemons (which may die) matches instead of your character directly involved in combat, choices with consequences, failable quests, unfortunate events, and tight economy (matches involve a bet and one lost match can be very painful, especially in the beginning) ; it's certainly not appliable to any game but in this one it works great.

The game teaches you to be a coward, or at least not too take too many risks. You're just a travelling breeder and not a warrior, and for example to deal with bandits you will eventually rely on your scouting skill score, gained through exploring, allowing to often but not always spot the bandits before they spot you and just walk away, but before that you can travel with a big monster, and you can only travel with up to 2 monsters at a time so it's not always really possible, to make bandits prefer avoiding you, or even regularly put your money into a bank and accept to give them away your current money and your various valuable lucky charms when you encounter them so they let you leave, lucky charms that they're going to sell to some sedentary or travelling merchant so you will eventually be able to buy them again. Fighting them is not an option.

There are some boring quests but also good ones and unexcepted events, and an often 2edgy4u tone. I tend not to be like this kind of tone but it's done in such a way it just seems the developper would throw anything he would have in mind and don't really give a shit so it's fun here. You will have to interact with all sorts of smugglers, pirates, rapists, slavers and you're not in a position where you can directly fight them. Making deals with them may or may not be a good idea depending on the situation, while upseting them is not. A bad decision may lead to bad consequences, that coupled with permadeath make for many interesting choices. You can fail quests and, although you can lose most matches and tournaments especially without any other consequences than pecuniary ones, some lost matches related to quests can have real consequences.

Overall it's a fun game, it's hard, it's big, it's free and it's a real work of love and the main developper certainly spent an indecent of time working on the game. That said I haven't played Grimoire nor D:OS2 yet and I am not implying Evowok Breeder is better than those, it may be but it's probably not, Grimoire especially I will certainly enjoy immensely.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Sloul

Savant
None of them deserve that title.
Isn't Fallout: Nevada the english release from 2017? That would be my pick.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Thank you for sharing your point of view, Luckmann. It wasn't necessary, you made it very clear the first time around, though.
This being said, I can't help but notice you skipped the first page :( , surely you didn't do it on purpose. Please fix these summaries as well !
I mean, i'm trying to help you here. Otherwise You'd confirm what I said about people who think the whole list is cancer because they don't like the presence of a pair of titles...
https://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/678214curator.png

Or the third page, maybe. Looks like the curator quickly edited his BG:EE recommandation, it probably said something like "I STRONGLY RECOMMEND BEAMDOG'S WORK, ALTHOUGH HAVE YOU TRIED THE ROMANCE MODS EXCLUSIVE TO EE ?"

Feel free to fix the other games' summaries here as well. Your insight is valuable.
Yeah, nah, thanks, I only grabbed the one page that was pertinent to the discussion, and you're also ignoring my point: That it's not at all a list of the type you tried to sell it off as, and is, in fact, a list of recommended games. Some of which are complete and utter shit, and for which reason the Steam Curator is complete and utter shit.

It is not just that some of these are contentious - contentious is fine, because one could still argue that it's relatively good, or that a sizable portion enjoy them. You know what's not contentious? Shit like Siege of Dragonspear and Tides of Numenera. They're awful. They have no business being recommended on the list, and they're virtually without merit.

There's many more games I personally dislike, and I think that things like Planescape: Enema Edition shouldn't be there either, and the recommendation for WL2 should come with the disclaimer that the consolized version is worse than the original, but I can still see why they're recommended. Some games, however, such as Siege of Dragonspear and Tides of Numenera, are only recommended because the curator is busy shoving his Gene Simmons-sized tongue up the asshole of developers.
Don't trust the RPGCodex curator. It recommends fucking anything.

What would you recommend that is missed by the curator, and is better than the RPGs over the last 17 years?
What would I recommend more than Tides of Numenera and Siege of Dragonspear?

Syphilis.
Syphilis is very prestigious disease mate,it means that you fuck a lot :obviously:.
There's nothing prestigious about being the Whore of Babylon.

Sloul

Savant
It's not just any good, it's extremely good. It suffers from an unfinished translation.
But I didn't play it since the english release, so I don't know if the translation was later improved.
Also, people who speak russian tend to say that in some part the english translation is poor. But I cannot judge that, I was very happy with the writing through and through.

I would say that the writing and quest integrations are overall better than in Fallout 2.
Fallout 1 is a special case, Tim Cain really had brillant ideas in some part, thus, I cannot say that Nevada is superior to it.
But it's not really playing in the same school, it's built differently than both Fo1 and Fo2.
It's full of skillcheck and statchecks and is very reactive. Maybe... ''maybe'', the game would be better comparred to Age of Decadence when it comes to reactivity.

Fallout 1.5 resurrection have been the target of some heavy negativity at the release of Nevada, people stating that 1.5 was shit in comparison.
Well, I am really against that kind of talk, seeing as how much efforts have been put into 1.5. And how it is a great mod and stands as one of the best RPG still.
But yes, 1.5 is ''shit'' comparred to Nevada, I got to agree. Nevada is a beast.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Huh, ELEX suddenly shot ahead of Grimoire by a good deal. I guess some Germans finally got some time off from work.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The fact obvious GOTY Expeditions: Viking isn't winning is testament to how far the Codex has fallen.

I'm not even a huge fan of Expeditions: Viking and I know that for certain.

gestalt11

Arbiter
The fact obvious GOTY Expeditions: Viking isn't winning is testament to how far the Codex has fallen.

I'm not even a huge fan of Expeditions: Viking and I know that for certain.

You are only saying this because of the epic mustache on the dude in the game art.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

On the whole jrpg argument i agree on a thing:

Jrpg are usually completely different and can't be put in comparsion with other rpg because is like compare apples with oranges.

Mortmal

Arcane
I also didn't actually notice what this thread was about.

I just did and voted NieR: Automata. I'll try to explain.

Grimoire is just too disappointing on too many levels. The music, the art, the UI, the monster design, the design decisions, the character creation, the lack of portraits... there are too many things holding it back to even consider it a viable choice unless you are edgy -- or REALLY love Wizardry-like games and were starved for one, but let me and Roguey assure you, there are quite a few better ones if that's the case, like Elminage: Gothic.

Original Sin 2 I haven't played so it wouldn't make sense to pick it for me, but it looks good. Writing seemed better than other Larian games from what little I have seen, which was always the thing that held them back a lot; that and uninteresting encounters.

ELEX I truly loved and adored. Once. I will never touch it again. It just has nothing long-term going for it. It's great because it's the closest thing to Gothic 2 we're gonna get in a long time. Maybe that's why Grimoire has so many votes: closest we'll get to Wizardry 7 in a long while. I can see that, even if I disagree.

Now, NieR: Automata.

That game has so many problems: the presentation is very anime, the story takes a long time to become engrossing, the game requires a lot of trust and patience from the player, and unless you get invested in it, it will do nothing for you. There are technical issues with the port and no real patch in sight, nor will there ever be because SQUEENIX is a soulless megacorp.

However, and of course I will get bad ratings for this from the usual suspects, the game is a masterpiece despite its flaws. Unlike ELEX it has substance. A real soul. If you are a human being with healthy emotions, NieR: Automata is an experience you're not likely to ever forget. It's a a grand work of art in the sense that I will never have to replay it, not even once, and yet will always remember its twists and the story it told, and the earth-shattering conclusion.

Yoko Taro has built up many expectations over the years of delivering a 'weird' or 'strange' experience, with a big 'fuck you' to the player. But in this game, he doesn't give the player a 'fuck you'. He gives us a 'fuck you, Square-Enix' and that alone is a stroke of genius that only Yoko Taro can pull off. Never have I been happier to delete a game and my savegames from my hard drive as after this game. It pulls off that thing at the end far better than sometimes overhyped (but still quite good) Undertale does, narratively, and that in itself is impressive.

To be honest, that fact that Yoko Taro can still surprise me after all the shit he pulled is saying something in itself. I know nobody who can pull off this theme so consistently and yet manage to still shatter everything I expected by the end of it. The moment the game previews the third part is incredible, or the third title drop, or the credits, or the whole system issues, or even all the little questions it gleefully asks.

Not to mention the chip-upgrade mechanics are sound, the combat technically flawlless and the boss fights intense and interesting.

So I am gonna have to give it to NieR: Automata and just suck up that people are gonna disagree. (By which I mean, be wrong.)

Edit: also NieR shouldn't be on the list -- despite RPG mechanics, it's an action-adventure, with RPG elements. But since it's on the list... If it weren't I'd vote Elex, even though I think it was ultimately shallow. But it is miles better than Elex, and I liked Elex.

Yoko taro said once he could only be creative when he's drunk, well after playing Nier i am sure he was completely drunk and probably borrowed miyamoto's magic mushrooms ,during the whole development.Too bad the pc port is awful , you have to use third party software like borderless gaming, revert the video card driver if you have some AMD card , oh and set core affinity to one core only. Then it will not crash anymore, maybe...
That game would be my second best of the year, just for the weird experience .Highly recommended on consoles.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Eh, never understood the Nier Automata port drama. Was a pretty flawless experience for me. Then again, I have an NVidia card and Intel processor.

Obviously if the consoles can run a game, the PC can run it much better - and better looking to boot.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Eh, never understood the Nier Automata port drama. Was a pretty flawless experience for me. Then again, I have an NVidia card and Intel processor.

Obviously if the consoles can run a game, the PC can run it much better - and better looking to boot.
I never understood the platinum games hype. It looks like pretty mediocre failing studio to me. Last day i just watched some video about them and still couldn't get it. Why do people get hyped about them?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
See, the way you phrased that hints at obvious trolling vs genuine inquiry.
I would imagine it is very obvious to anyone who played their games why they are or, at one point, were valued.

You might as well ask 'what's why with Obsidian hype, they seem like a failing studio', completely ignoring the (past) work done on things like KOTOR 2 or MotB.

Maybe you just don't play arcade or action games?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
See, the way you phrased that hints at obvious trolling vs genuine inquiry.
I would imagine it is very obvious to anyone who played their games why they are or, at one point, were valued.

You might as well ask 'what's why with Obsidian hype, they seem like a failing studio', completely ignoring the (past) work done on things like KOTOR 2 or MotB.

Maybe you just don't play arcade or action games?
I do a little bit of trolling in everything mate,after all i have the
OnTheEdge.png
Still i have genuine inquiry in it. I never played a platinum game. I can get the hype behind most games and studious out there,but this one eludes me. I take it that the thirdperson platform action niche and not many people care about it. From what i saw in the clip,their games are very hyped and expected but nobody is buying them.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Like, see, you never played a Platinum game. Go and play the ones people like, including old Clover-made ones: Bayonetta, God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, Wonderful 101, Vanquish.

Mainly what they do well is action at a high-level. Think games like Devil May Cry or the original XBox Ninja Gaiden.
The kind of very incredibly difficult game that, if you were good enough, you can beat without ever getting hit.

The best analogy I can make is "third-person bullet hell, but instead it is a brawler".

We have an expert on the Codex who could tell you more, but I think he self-ejected...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nah,that won't happen mate, i am PC only gamer. That is why i never wasted more than hour on the DS games. Only shit port games that i play are the warrior games,samurai warrior2 is the best of them all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom