Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG of the Decade - Developers' Choice

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Could you warn us next time you link to a site with homophobic slurs?

:lol:

Imagining content that isn't there is kind of creepy in an antisocial,

This is what these people think role-playing is: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/oblivion:roleplaying

Because limits sets by the game are artificial.

As a rule of thumb, if you don't have at least 70 in your main weapon and armor skills by level 15, you're probably screwed

So if you don't invest in at least one combat skill you're screwed. Wow, so innovative, complex AND unexpected. FIRST GAEM TO DO THATT!!!!

FeelTheRads said:
As a rule of thumb, if you don't have at least 70 in your main weapon and armor skills by level 15, you're probably screwed

So if you don't invest in at least one combat skill you're screwed. Wow, so innovative, complex AND unexpected. FIRST GAEM TO DO THATT!!!!

Drog was just commenting on the point that you don't need any skills at all to progress in the game, not that it's innovative or anything

I'm not so sure myself. My guys never had a problem, but I see a lot of

a)game is too easy, you can complete it on level 1

b)game becomes harder if you level because at higher levels enemies raep you

which makes me think that everyone makes horribly gimped charcaters and exploits the (easily exploitable, tbh) leveling mechanic

WhiskeyWolf said:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035608180
Some p. hilarious comments there.
WabeWalker said:
When judging games that are nearly ten years old, I think that most people tend to remember the experience of playing the game, rather than the actual game itself.

By today's standards, many of these older games are just junk - but people had such great experiences at the time that, today, they refuse to acknowledge how antiquated one of their favorite games has become.

If you were to say to me that this here (below) is a new game, and would I be interested in it, I'd probably say, are you mad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzdvC0vGNrs
The video linked is ToEE. God forbid you play an isometric game nowadays.

Clockwork Knight said:
I'm not so sure myself. My guys never had a problem, but I see a lot of

a)game is too easy, you can complete it on level 1

b)game becomes harder if you level because at higher levels enemies raep you
Both are true. Since everything is scaled you can do pretty much any quest at level 1 (except for most Daedric shrines).

The game is very easy at levels up to 10 approximately, but you don't see about 60% of monsters until level 15.

IIRC, you only started playing Oblivion recently, CK. So try this, level up to level 15 ASAP, then go to Kvatch or any other Oblivion gate. There will be lots of Daedroths by that time, tell me how they treat you.

Yeah, forgot to mention both are related. I watched my brother playing to high levels (more than 25, iirc). He only got raped when he started to gimp his Redguard warrior with Willpower. His breton mage still roflstomped daedroths late game. Which means having a somewhat decent character is enough to surmount the more difficult enemies that show up.

He's 13, btw, so I guess it's not hard to do, or anything

I'll try this myself, shouldnt take long. I actually settled on a character now, but I'm using Fran's mod, which might skew my view a little (my non modded character got to 11 or 12, iirc)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Drog was just commenting on the point that you don't need any skills at all to progress in the game, not that it's innovative or anything

Well, I was actually responding to this

and it's very easy to make a gimped character if you don't keep your combat skills high.

But the one I quoted was more recent. :D

This, it's the same thing. ZOMG IF U DON"T TAEK COMBTA SKILLZ U GIPM UR CHARACTUR!!! No fucking shit, Sherlock. You also must be fucking moron to not take the combat skills in a game where you can take ALL skills.

CK, Francesco's mod makes some heavy balance changes, so it's unsurprising that you don't understand what I'm talking about. You should really try Oblivion unmodded (it's not terrible as everyone on the Codex claims), otherwise this whole argument is kinda pointless.

FeelTheRads said:
ZOMG IF U DON"T TAEK COMBTA SKILLZ U GIPM UR CHARACTUR!!! No fucking shit, Sherlock. You also must be fucking moron to not take the combat skills in a game where you can take ALL skills.
ur dumb

In a non-level scaled game it's irrelevant when you raise your combat skills, since enemies stay the same. In Oblivion, however, there's a sort of an "arms race" with enemies, so you have to raise your combat skills pretty much each level to keep up with the enemies (who constantly scale to your level, not your skills).

I just started using Fran's though (must be around 5-7). I don't think the changes even affected me yet, apart from some parts where I found 2-3 enemies instead of one. And I'm currently on a modded island so the leveling rules may not even apply. I'm not taking this play into account.

I played a good while with the non modded guy, though I didn't go past lvl 11-13, so the leveling didn't hit me either. I just did minor quests everywhere.

I'm mostly speaking from what I've seen of my brother playing, so maybe I should try it myself.

Lockkaliber said:
>The real game starts after level 15

That's some brilliant game design.
You fags always whine about something.

OMG you can win the game at level 1 without any grinding, THATS BAD DESIGN.

OMG you have to grind to level 15 to see most of the monsters and equipment, THATS BAD DESIGN.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You honestly think it is good design then I take it? If you made a game like Oblivion you would make the first 15 levels intentionally boring?

Yeah sure, let's unlock everything at level 1, so the game gets boring in a few days, since there's no need to level up.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
-=DarlSephiroth666=- said:
Yeah sure, let's unlock everything at level 1, so the game gets boring in a few days, since there's no need to level up.

answer the question.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is that the only alternative to having the "real" game start only after level 15? Is it perhaps possible to design a system and a game so that every instance of it offers something of the "real" game you were talking about? Please think long and hard on this before answering.

Maybe you can give your own example of a leveling system suitable for a huge free-roaming sandbox game.

Morrowind did the same, BTW, try visiting any of the Daedric ruins at level 1 and you'll only find scamps there. The loot wasn't as heavily scaled, though. The problem with Morrowind, however, was that it was way too hard at the beginning and way too easy after level 20 or so. Oblivion's system is far from perfect, but I enjoy the challenge it offers.

WhiskeyWolf said:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035608180
Damn, that forum is a gold mine.
Parmenides said:
I find myself less and less interested in 'pure RPGs' and more into hybrid action RPG (though I don't like when games are focused on the 'phat lootz' a la diablo 2). I like the FPS/RPG hybrids. The more we see combat mechanics in 3d and real time, the better.

But I still also greatly enjoyed some turned based action like Baldurs Gate 2, and NWN/NWN2.

Wist

Novice
Guys you're arguing with someone who has Sephiroth in their username.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
It's annoying how so many idiots constantly let themselves be trolled by Drog and let him derail what was once a good thread. They fall for it every damn time. The first few pages were good and on topic with people partaking in the contest; now it's just another Bethtard Oblivion argument with the whole purpose of this thread forgotten. FFS :?

Silellak

Cipher
Fat Dragon said:
It's annoying how so many idiots constantly let themselves be trolled by Drog and let him derail what was once a good thread. They fall for it every damn time. The first few pages were good and on topic with people partaking in the contest; now it's just another Bethtard Oblivion argument with the whole purpose of this thread forgotten. FFS :?
BUT THE BAD MAN SAID NICE THINGS ABOUT OBLIVION!
:codexrage:

Relayer71

Liturgist
Annie is right.

Persona 4 is gaming excellence and several cuts above the typical angsty cardboard cut-out teenie drama typical of JRPGs thanks to the wonderful localization by Atlus, excellent writing and solid voice acting. This game has some of the most NATURAL and mature dialogue of ANY RPG.

Not to say it doesn't drop the ball and get appropriately goofy (it IS a JRPG after all) but this is once in a while as opposed to most of the time.

The soundtrack and art design also stand out and though the core IS a dungeon crawler, it is NO cakewalk - the challenge level stays consistent and the skill system works.

In essence, Persona 4 is what JRPGs should strive for.

But speaking of strictly PC RPGs, I'd say my RPGs of the decade are:

Arcanum
Baldur's Gate 2
Wizardry 8
Morrowind

Love them all for different reasons. If I had to pick one it would be Baldur's Gate 2 with Arcanum close behind.

But fuck, Tim Cain picked Oblivions??? I'm shocked.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Does Persona 4 also have shitty half-assed dungeons, j-pop soundtrack with engrish lyrics, and that annoying support character who pops up every five seconds during a battle to state the fucking obvious in a high-pitched voice like the previous game did?

If so, I just don't understand how anyone could enjoy it. :mystery:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom