Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG For My Younger Sister

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't know we were talking about such young age... D:OS is definitely too much then. Some good suggestions already, maybe some Zelda game too?

Ranarama

Learned
Trine, played co-op while not an actual RPG probably fits the bill of a game you can play with an 8 year old. Don't Starve, Terraria, etc.

But... My top recommendation would be Child of Light. Excellent turn-based (mostly) combat, upgrades, colourful art and a decent coming of age story. It also has co-op.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Chrono Trigger is simple enough. It's also pretty colorful, varied, has nice attack animations everything is cute and neat. The only downside is that there are parts that are a bit too grim for small kids but that can be said about all RPG's. Someone mentioned Baldur's Gate 1 which is also a pretty good choice. You only make one character, plot is pretty basic and it's a low-level DnD adventure, which means there are not that many abilities to master. Be sure to explain to her the Vancian casting system since it might be a bit confusing for kids.
On the other hand 8 is a bit too low to appreciate most RPGs so I'd recommend some light RPG-like action-adventure games. Something like Zelda. It shares many tropes with RPGs but no long dialogues and big numbers that could bore or confuse a small girl.

Dorateen

Arcane
Maybe start with a simple Pen and Paper session. Gary Gygax was prototyping Dungeons & Dragons with his daughter Elise when she was about that age.

A bit younger from when she later appears in this promotional advertising.

attachment.php

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, Star Stable would be perfect.

As an added bonus, once you and her complete it, you can use a screenshot of that to get yourself unbanned for making this thread in the first place.

da_rays

Augur
Chiming in here to share my experience with my 7 yo niece. Holy shit thoses kids these day...they grow up too fast for their age.

We've tried a few ''easy to pick up Rpgish game'' on PC . Most of them were cutsie RPG thing ( a few that was mention here , Chrono Trigger , Dying Light , pokemon Go! of course which is an useful tools outside to burn their energy , well my niece anyway ) A bit hit n' miss , patience is very thin for them it seem at their age haha,so we moved to another thing: Boardgames . She used to watch us ( me and her parents ) in our game night and was always willing to help us with figurine. So I introduce her to a few cards game ( mostly deckbuilding game , nothing that need a MTG level of deckbuilding before playing ) in which I try to cut a few rules , start simple then add layers of rules in each game we play. With that ive peaked her interest into roleplaying stuff , strategy gaming ( we just started Smallworld ) Now she is beeing ''tutored'' in her first big ass RPG. shes watching my play RoA . She of course decided all class and names , and i always ask her what the heroes should do. the game is a bit complicated for her . Weeeeeell , who am I kidding. Fucking hard game for any 7yo i think. Still she is participing AND learning the rope slowly. And since i Have a few old ''The dark eyes'' rulesbook , next step is to make a few characters with all the rule and maybe let her play a short session with her favorite character.

TL;DR : Boardgames bruh! Lot of strategy involved in most. From there you can move up to PnP . After that she will be armed mentally to fight :decline: . Bear in mind, they are SPONGE at that age, time to introduce her gradually to the :obviously: world of :incline: . And a good :salute: to you good sir , keep being a good influence on her

Last edited:

Morkar Left

How old is she? That might be a significant detail.
She's turning 8. The only game she has significant playtime in is Minecraft.

You should try to improve and inspire her imagination and creativity. Pen & Paper RPGs are well more suited for this job! I recommend In Nomine Satanis.

EDIT: Or you could try Frayed Knights instead. But that would not have such a good pedagogical value of course...

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't introduce women to games. They ruin everything.

That being said: Deus Ex.
It has great atmosphere, and if you want a child or teenager to really be into something, it has to have that.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Just give her Fallout, what is the discussion.
Already tried that. She plays it once in a while, but it's on my Steam account so it gets in the way of me playing.
Obviously Pokemon.
She thought Pokemon GO was the first pokemon vidyagame.

Freedom Force games did well with my stepson around the same age.

Quest for Glory 4, especially with voice acting -- graphics arent unbearably old, lots of fairy-tale-esque tie-ins.

Every Kid Ive known likes Spore.

Crayon Physics (fun puzzle solving, though not an rpg and no story)

Disgaia and Final Fantasy Tactic Advance (and A2) emulate well on pc and moderate mobile devices, are colorful and appealing while still being relatively complex. 7yr old did great with FFTA despite his reading skills not being very monocled yet, and Id help him every so often to optimize equipment and get through certain difficulty spikes.

My 5 year old LOVES Child of Light, we play a couple hour chunk almost every time she visits.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
You should try to improve and inspire her imagination and creativity. Pen & Paper RPGs are well more suited for this job! I recommend In Nomine Satanis.

I agree with this, especially if OP has other friends and siblings who can form a party.
Shit, he might even have fun playing as the DM.

deuxhero

Arcane
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3?

Freedom Force is indeed pretty good, but good luck making it run on a modern system.
Final Fantasy V GBA (with patches to fix the sound) emulates pretty well. Story is light hearted but well executed.
If you do go with Pokemon, consider a hack that lets you catch everything without trading.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
borderlands is fun in co-op and has skill trees and loot;
True, but that does require quite a bit of skill at FPS gameplay. And if she hasn't really played any games so far, even Borderlands might be too much.

What about Dark Souls? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom