Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Dot praises Gothic II: Night of the Raven

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic II: Night of the Raven

Another review from the <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com>RPG Dot</a> guys. Somehow they'd acquired a copy of <a href=http://www.gothic2.com/addon>Gothic II: The Night of the Raven</a> and, judging by the scores - <b>96%</b> overall, <b>100%</b> fun, and the <b>Platinum Award</b>, the game just <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=927>blew them away</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Character development has been completely overhauled - the new system is a bit more complex. You still receive 10 learning points per level. Strength and dexterity can be bolstered up to 200 points now; the weapon skills shouldn´t be increased over 100, however, because they represent the probability for a critical hit. Teachers ask for 1-5 learning points per new skill point, the higher your skill the more expensive.
<br>
<br>
An important addition are stone plates with inscriptions written in the 'language of the constructors' (transl.). Once you learn this language the stone plates can be used to increase skills. You can find dozens of them, so learning the language is definitely worth it. Many other skill or stat related things have been tweaked. An incomplete list includes: item sets with accumulated boni, weapons with a bonus / malus system, decreased effects of permanent potions, more alchemy options, less expensive hunting skills and a comeback of acrobatics.
<br>
<br>
Two magic items are remarkable. Pretty early in the game you receive a will-o´-wisp amulet. This ghost light is sort of a pet. It can be trained to search for things like gold, keys, potions, etc. The other item is a bit more spectacular. At a certain point in the storyline you receive Beliar´s Claw, a powerful sword. Mages can pray at a Beliar shrine and exchange it for increasingly more devastating necromancer spells. The other classes can improve the sword in a trade-off for a permanent loss of 2.5 hit points per character level.</blockquote>Sounds like a good add-on. Hopefully, RPG Dot would also release a review add-on and tell us what the gameplay is like.

Voss

Erudite
What, you think they've actually played it?

Come now.

Vault Dweller

Developer
"Gameplay and Difficulty"'s synopsis: tougher critters and new mage items. There is only one very generic sentence that addresses the gameplay somewhat: Gameplay is more or less identical to the two predecessors, an even mixture of quests, exploration and combat in a living and breathing world, with a slight focus on melee combat.

Jung

Liturgist
The seamy underbelly of your seamy underbelly
Vault Dweller said:
"Gameplay and Difficulty"'s synopsis: tougher critters and new mage items. There is only one very generic sentence that addresses the gameplay somewhat: Gameplay is more or less identical to the two predecessors, an even mixture of quests, exploration and combat in a living and breathing world, with a slight focus on melee combat.

I guess they assume that you've played the other games.

Dhruin

Liturgist
"Somehow" got hold of it? What's wrong with off the store shelves? ;)

As for the gameplay, since it's an add-in, don't these bits cover it?

"This review only handles the new aspects of the add on, for more information about the game itself see our Gothic 2 review please"

"It has been integrated naturally and convincingly by tieing loose ends, adding new NPCs and expanding old NPCs´ roles"

"After the outro you can continue with a slightly changed and completely rebalanced G2"

"Many details in Khorinis have been changed. At least one place has been completely redesigned, empty areas have been occupied by bandits, new NPCs have been added and old NPCs have more dialogs or more quests. Several things you may remember as unimportant are now story relevant.."

Etc... It's the same game with some rebalancing and new content inserted.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Dhruin said:
"Somehow" got hold of it? What's wrong with off the store shelves? ;)
Nah, too boring. People want drama and mystary, as a fellow reporter you should know it. :)

As for the gameplay, since it's an add-in, don't these bits cover it?

"This review only handles the new aspects of the add on, for more information about the game itself see our Gothic 2 review please"
Well, it's an RPG not a shooter where you can simply say that an add-on has new areas and items. I didn't play the add-on, and the review, imo, failed to give me enough information to make a decision about the game. No offense meant.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Dear PirahnaBytes:
ENNNNNGGGGGLLLLLIIIIIIISSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!
Please.

Please.

Ogre Smash

Novice
I guess they assume that you've played the other games.[/quote]

Well, it is an add-on to Gothic 2 after all.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Jung said:
I guess they assume that you've played the other games.
Ogre Smash said:
Once again, this is an RPG, people, not a shooter. Gameplay could differ from one area to another. Both Gothics had two different gameplay styles: a very non-linear one, and an extremely linear, for example. Which one the add-on offers? Or take KOTOR, for example, the space station was an add-on for PC, could you say that it had the same gameplay as the original game? No, it didn't have any gameplay at all, comparing to any other areas. See my point now?

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Was Gothic 2 the more linear one?

(Haven't gotten around to getting it yet...)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Both games have non-linear and linear parts (after you pick your faction)

Dhruin

Liturgist
ecliptic said:
Dear PirahnaBytes:
ENNNNNGGGGGLLLLLIIIIIIISSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!
Please.

Please.

It's my understanding that it was translated l-o-n-g ago but Atari has the international distribution rights. So, it's done - just not released by Atari. If anyone can figure out how Atari works they're a smarter man than I.

Ogre Smash

Novice
Ogre Smash said:
Once again, this is an RPG, people, not a shooter. Gameplay could differ from one area to another. Both Gothics had two different gameplay styles: a very non-linear one, and an extremely linear, for example. Which one the add-on offers? Or take KOTOR, for example, the space station was an add-on for PC, could you say that it had the same gameplay as the original game? No, it didn't have any gameplay at all, comparing to any other areas. See my point now?[/quote]

The gameplay styles are actually very similar. Both games start out fairly non-linear, but when you get closer to the end, it gets more and more linear.

KOTOR isnt really an example of this subject. Having the space station there for PC is much more a special feature than an add-on.

I must partly agree with you about the review though. Although I dont feel they completely omitted it, there were some various gameplay issues left out.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
So, will this come in English as well? I like Gothic 2 and wouldn't mind playing some more of it.[/i]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom