Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG developer's response to the Codex

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Infinitron said:
Will Gaider be taken down a notch sometime in the near future? I guess the success (or lack thereof) of TOR will decide that.
But he's not even involved in that in any way, unless you're speaking in a "the whole company will go under" way.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Johnny the Mule said:
no the codex spends to much time feeling 'quality'
you sir are guilty

so

did you even comprehend the context of that which you quoted in relation to the included text

where did I you see me praising mass effect 2's design virtues or lay down some positive ultimatum on anything about that game that could be factually argued for, seriously how did i advocate 'gaming larping' or whatever you think that means in favor of critical analysis

heck did you even understand what exactly I was saying with that post, how you can't quantify experienced enjoyment

you know, if it helps an opposite scenario would be like how I might review a game positively and yet say it's not my kind of fun, unless you happen to like all the good examples of all movies and games and books equally and without bias or reservation like the logical ubermensch you are

shit son does your aspergers tell you to secondguess yourself if you even think enjoying some music and find out if the entire score takes talent to play and create or whatever criteria you need before even enjoying yourself without a clipboard and a checklist, a thousand word essay at the university level and a mathematical scale of 'what make them sounds good' 2011 edition

because that's what we're talking about here, the absurdity of mapping a personally observed experience into infallible numbers relevant to other individuals

shit on the opposite side of the spectrum I might meet you again when I say how I liked the graphics in knights of the chalice and have you say
WELL WELL WELL LARPING YOUR ARTISTIC TASTE AGAIN ARE WE HOW CAN YOU REDUCE AESTHETIC APPRECIATION SO CASUALLY WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT FUCKING DREAMS OR SOMESHIT YOU ARE SHITTING ON MICHELANGELO'S PIETA

man why do people go out of their way to conflate 'I had some dumb fun with it' with
'this is definitely good by all empirical standards and therefore just as good as your favorite game in all the ways that made it good so that means your game is as shit as this game I had dumb fun with therefore you must take it personally'

kinda like many people here who react to 'good for what it is' like they're hearing 'a timeless masterpiece like chess and no mistake' and being righteously angry and saying standards are dead like batman's parents because if it's not intellectually satisfying like the multiple times you jerked yourself off and basked in the afterglow it's a perversion of truth

I might even say petty strongarm stuff like all that is why the codex is shit, news at eleven, lolololo

Code:
General Discussion 	86 	48%
Codex Playground 	  24 	13%

did you try talking about games you really wanted everyone else to like or dislike unsuccessfully here a couple of times or something

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wunderpurps said:
SCO said:
ToB was plot was shit btw. Ascension only makes some fights tougher, it's not a narrative masterpiece.

I never got how people will say ToB is shit but think icewind dale is the rock.

And who says i did? I've said IWDII is not worth playing, narratively at least. It's been padded too much with a few too many retarded setpieces like "Ice temple II", "appease a gnome stereotype", "go to a alternate dimension fight lizards because fuck ye" or "Dragon's eye moron wants to be a ghoul". The fire elemental zone puzzle -although another thing added that had nothing at all to do with anything in the main plot- was neat once though, give it that - and there is some kind of ancient backstory goodness in the old home of the thieflings and the racism they've had against them is pretty realistic. Fight for the holy avenger was cool too.

Besides that, nothing of much interest.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Roguey said:
unless you're speaking in a "the whole company will go under" way.

maybe if bioware tanks quickly enough he can be reshuffled just in time to write the protoss campaign for starcraft 2

maybe introduce some romanceable units

I know the rts genre could use some emotional engagement

Johnny the Mule

Educated
meltdown, its you who doesnt understand what i am saying

you say the exprerience is subjective
i say its not
you say its cool to talk about your feelings on skyrim
i say its worthless banal shit boring

i dont give a fuck what color you like most but this is how discuss! is done here since 2008 and shitout 3

i responded exactly because you said that its impossible to quantify the experienced enjoyment
you are wrong
its most def possible internally for you and most def possible inter personally

i also dont second guess myself on anything really, i like my animalic nature and it serves me well but doesnt supersede my cognitive function

personally observed experience can be mapped into infallible, stochastically, numbers and be relevant to other non retarded individuals

if you said that you liked kotc graphics, i would consider you essentially 'retarded' in development considering the field of graphics all around
you would be the equivalent of a 3 year old chewing on a plastic bucket and blabbing how much it rocks
or you would be a person who likes the color green while i like the color red and your position on kotc graphics would be for all intent and purposes like the opinon of schizo to me

'good for what it is' is a misused and completely empty statement that says absolutely nothing! really! nothing! it might as well have not been said

strongarm stuff like my position is the only positive, discerning feature of the codex (trannies lol) that justifies its existence,
if not for rigor, i might as well be wasting time on ign boards, which drive the same schizo relativist crap

i, as a fully functional human being, dont give a slightest fuck! what color jaseun likes most (i would if he sucked my dick for agreeing with him but that a different part of the codex fails and cirlcejerks), but exactly this kind of discussion happens continuously and with applause

i dont evangelize people about games, its unrewarding, i demonize them

Wunderpurps

Educated
Captain Shrek said:
Johnny the Mule said:
meltdown, its you who doesnt understand what i am saying

you say the exprerience is subjective
i say its not
you say its cool to talk about your feelings on skyrim
i say its worthless banal shit boring

i dont give a fuck what color you like most but this is how discuss! is done here since 2008 and shitout 3

i responded exactly because you said that its impossible to quantify the experienced enjoyment
you are wrong
its most def possible internally for you and most def possible inter personally

i also dont second guess myself on anything really, i like my animalic nature and it serves me well but doesnt supersede my cognitive function

personally observed experience can be mapped into infallible, stochastically, numbers and be relevant to other non retarded individuals

if you said that you liked kotc graphics, i would consider you essentially 'retarded' in development considering the field of graphics all around
you would be the equivalent of a 3 year old chewing on a plastic bucket and blabbing how much it rocks
or you would be a person who likes the color green while i like the color red and your position on kotc graphics would be for all intent and purposes like the opinon of schizo to me

'good for what it is' is a misused and completely empty statement that says absolutely nothing! really! nothing! it might as well have not been said

strongarm stuff like my position is the only positive, discerning feature of the codex (trannies lol) that justifies its existence,
if not for rigor, i might as well be wasting time on ign boards, which drive the same schizo relativist crap

i, as a fully functional human being, dont give a slightest fuck! what color jaseun likes most (i would if he sucked my dick for agreeing with him but that a different part of the codex fails and cirlcejerks), but exactly this kind of discussion happens continuously and with applause

i dont evangelize people about games, its unrewarding, i demonize them

I am not sure whether to like you or hate you.

It's all subjective.

DraQ

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Warning, long post.

Just because we enjoy the lack of moderation doesn't stop Matt's point from being true. I don't think anyone here would deny that the Dex has a scarily high proportion of racists, trolls, neo-nazis, sexists - and not just 'vanilla' standard either, but serious hate-rating types. I'm not saying that's a fair representation of the Codex (hell, I still post here, don't I?), but you'd have to be pretty one-eyed not to see that it stands out.

And I wish that the no censorship policy means that we all had constructive debates about non-PC subjects, unrestrained in our intellectual forrays, but 95% (and that's generous) of the time, the most we get from freedom from censorship is a combination of profanity, ad hominum abuse, folks using GD for their weekly 'neo-nazi news roundup' posts and kids leaping on the latest catchphrase bandwagon (popamole, banal-shit-boring, etc) without even knowing how the phrase originally came about (see how popamole has degenerated from a legitimate criticism of the degeneration of shooter mechanics from free-moving 3D maps to arcade-style pop-in-and-out-of-cover-shooter-on-rail games).
There is a way around that that doesn't involve giving up our Golden Codexian Freedom.

Instead of imposing strict guidelines about what to post and what not to post we should monocle the fuck up and control *who* can post here.

Do we really need Andhaira, Glyphwright or Atheist here? Do we need dozens of retarded and unfunny alts created by retarded and unfunny people?

Every poster has an opportunity to build certain reputation for himself here. Apparently for some building a positive one is an insurmountable obstacle, because they simply can't post anything remotely insightful on any topic. you don't need any prophetic abilities to know that Atheist's post will turn out to be a complete waste of time once you read it, so why not just scoop up all the shit posters and tell them to GTFO?

It won't curtail any codexian freedoms, it won't force anyone to behave, but it will improve the discussion and image of the site simply because all the returds who enjoy wallowing in their own filth will be someone else, and occassional non-PC joke, contrarian observation or outburst of abrasive obscenity amongst educated and intelligent discussion isn't nearly as much of a problem as someone with room temperature IQ spouting "lolniggerjewfag" ad nauseam in every thread he can find.

We don't need restrictive rules, but we dearly need some less retarded atmosphere, because most humans have certain herd insitncts and ape surrounding shit subconsciously. Most humans are also very sensitive to expected pressure and criticism, even imaginary. If everyone around you is going "hurrdurrlolniggerpopamole" you're likely to not notice when you start doing it too. OTOH if you're surrounded with people writing walls of text discussing, using impeccable logic, why justifying removal of RPG elements with more immershun is fallacious and underhanded tactic and look at you as if you were pants-on-head retarded if you try to "hurrdurrlolniggerpopamole" at them, you usually have no choice but to either vanish or monocle up.

And you don't even have to be susceptible to societal cues for your posts to be degraded by the deluge of shit. It's perfectly sufficient if a poster you're responding to is a retard rendering your efforts futile. If you're a learning animal you'll soon learn to opt for "GTFO retard" rather than well reasoned wall of text if all you get in exchange is "youa redumb r00fles!".

Wunderpurps

Educated
DraQ said:
There is a way around that that doesn't involve giving up our Golden Codexian Freedom.

Instead of imposing strict guidelines about what to post and what not to post we should monocle the fuck up and control *who* can post here.

Do we really need Andhaira, Glyphwright or Atheist here? Do we need dozens of retarded and unfunny alts created by retarded and unfunny people?

Every poster has an opportunity to build certain reputation for himself here. Apparently for some building a positive one is an insurmountable obstacle, because they simply can't post anything remotely insightful on any topic. you don't need any prophetic abilities to know that Atheist's post will turn out to be a complete waste of time once you read it, so why not just scoop up all the shit posters and tell them to GTFO?

It won't curtail any codexian freedoms, it won't force anyone to behave, but it will improve the discussion and image of the site simply because all the returds who enjoy wallowing in their own filth will be someone else, and occassional non-PC joke, contrarian observation or outburst of abrasive obscenity amongst educated and intelligent discussion isn't nearly as much of a problem as someone with room temperature IQ spouting "lolniggerjewfag" ad nauseam in every thread he can find.

We don't need restrictive rules, but we dearly need some less retarded atmosphere, because most humans have certain herd insitncts and ape surrounding shit subconsciously. Most humans are also very sensitive to expected pressure and criticism, even imaginary. If everyone around you is going "hurrdurrlolniggerpopamole" you're likely to not notice when you start doing it too. OTOH if you're surrounded with people writing walls of text discussing, using impeccable logic, why justifying removal of RPG elements with more immershun is fallacious and underhanded tactic and look at you as if you were pants-on-head retarded if you try to "hurrdurrlolniggerpopamole" at them, you usually have no choice but to either vanish or monocle up.

And you don't even have to be susceptible to societal cues for your posts to be degraded by the deluge of shit. It's perfectly sufficient if a poster you're responding to is a retard rendering your efforts futile. If you're a learning animal you'll soon learn to opt for "GTFO retard" rather than well reasoned wall of text if all you get in exchange is "youa redumb r00fles!".

For trolls, reponding is what fuels them and since there's an ignore list I just don't see the problem. People acting like butthurt orangutans is what makes this place a shithole.

Like any place there's a cult of personality in several cliques of banal shit boring posters who have latched onto a few really stupid ideas and just beat the drum of derp as hard as they can no matter how illogical. This thread is a great example, hey guys let's be nice and then we can influence events.

The HHR thread about indie art style is another. A bunch of guys who rage about fallout 2 being so derpy defending bullshit indie games full of memes and web comic art styles that completely ignore the fourth wall to the bitter end. No matter how illogical this is, just because the word indie is in there.

So maybe the problem is a lot of the regulars here who have such self importance and call troll the second anyone disagrees with them on any subject.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
The Codex is much more, and so much less, than what all of you say it is. Racists? Trannies? Scientologists? All united in the Codex for a greater, underlying reason.

And while some people like to throw around screams (or should I say shouts?) of :incline: and :decline:
the Codex, in its fundamental unwritten principles, is immutable.
The dynamics of the Codex, its hows and whys, its ugliness, the stunning beauty, the fact that hardline versus absolute freedom is a moot point regarding the Codex - it has all been explained pretty much perfectly, in varying degrees of lulz and retardation, in that pinnacle of meta-postmodern art that the jimbob comics are. Understand them, and you understand (on a gut level, if not with your brain) the Codex, and you cannot help but realize that the Codex is what it is BECAUSE there's opposed extremes like skyway, volourn and everyone that stands between them.
And we canNOT have it otherwise.

Sadly, the developers can't see past it. They can't see past the fact that, if an enraged codexer throws around an ad hominem PLUS a valid point, "You are fat, bald, retarded, and 1+1=2", 1+1 will still equal two, no matter how crass the frame of this factual statement.

...and anyway, what kind of developer would you like to reach? The best game ever, AoD, is being developed by a codexer.
:smug:

With VD and his holy effort, I see no need to convert any AAA dev to the truth of turn based, C&C and a sterile, asexual hero.
:M

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Too bad the people who complain about racism never notice our resident insane Muslim fanatic, the commie crew and the trannies.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Mozgoëbstvo said:
...and anyway, what kind of developer would you like to reach? The best game ever, AoD, is being developed by a codexer.

With VD and his holy effort, I see no need to convert any AAA dev to the truth of turn based, C&C and a sterile, asexual hero.
I don't know about you, but I'd like to have more than 1 good cRPGs in a decade. AoD is will be awesome, but it is just one game. Of course there are other indies, like Jeff Vogel, but their games are hit or miss for me (usually miss). It would be great to have 1 or 2 mainstream developesr, who cater to the needs of the Codex.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Captain Shrek said:
dannyfx1 said:
if people won't buy shitty products, educate themselves and so on, these faggots loose their firepower. Masses want it mediocre, easy going.

YES.

Although this is one of the TWO things necessary. The other is severe public criticism of their 'shittiness'. Otherwise this practice will just be followed by the next company that comes along.

All that's necessary is a time machine. PC gaming is betamax and nothing else is going to bring it back, and so long as games are on consoles they are going to be shit or rather 9.9/10 which is good for what they are, or 9.0/10 or less which means utter shit.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Too bad the people who complain about racism never notice our resident insane Muslim fanatic, the commie crew and the trannies.
Please point out where outside of GD they are in any way as obnoxious as the racists. I haven't seen any "Bomb Bethesda in the name of Allah!", "Install a totalitarian so-called Communist State and work Biowarians to death in re-education camps!" or "Turn MCA into a tranny and let him star in a porno!". Though I do expect that some people would like that (especially the last one) in a non-serious sense.
What I do see:
Response to any corporate dick move--> they're "jewing" us out of our money.
Response to any dumbing down of dialogue --> it's because niggers are genetically too dumb to read.
Response to anything Kotick does---> Hitler was right all along.
etc, etc

To be fair, after a very shitty phase 1-2 years ago, the casual anti-semitism has toned down and I hardly see any casual racism, anymore. The trick lies in ignoring GD (and certain posters).

Outside GD frank language and frank criticism (and frothing at the mouth fan/hateboyism) are probably what really bothers devs (who might not be confined by NDAs, etc) and racism etc is just an excuse.

Destroid

Arcane
Shannow said:
Outside GD frank language and frank criticism (and frothing at the mouth fan/hateboyism) are probably what really bothers devs (who might not be confined by NDAs, etc) and racism etc is just an excuse.

They need an account to browse GD, so at least it's something you gotta work to expose yourself to.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
J_C said:
Mozgoëbstvo said:

I don't know about you, but I'd like to have more than 1 good cRPGs in a decade. AoD is will be awesome, but it is just one game. Of course there are other indies, like Jeff Vogel, but their games are hit or miss for me (usually miss). It would be great to have 1 or 2 mainstream developesr, who cater to the needs of the Codex.
Except the developers themselves aren't really the problem when it comes to that (There are more than a few that expressed interest). Publishers are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom