Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played BG or IWD since they came out because I find their settings fucking boring, but I remember a ton of caves and endless enemies I put no thought into.

In any event I don't want that long debate, I haven't played them enough, so I'll concede to whatever. My main point is DA:O is not trash or out of place up there, it's a solid game and was a bright light in a dark time. The idea it was utter shit is trying too hard.

V_K

Arcane

V_K

Arcane
I don't have a favourite game, they're all flawed in some way or antother. It's just some of them are flawed in the ways I don't care too much about :obviously:.

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
I don't have a favourite game, they're all flawed in some way or antother. It's just some of them are flawed in the ways I don't care too much about :obviously:.
This pretty much describes every game in the Top 50 list. All of them are flawed, one way or another, all of them have good parts. It's up to personal preference whitch parts you value more in a game and which ones you don't care about.
Still, the IE games had less flaws than virtues, so for most people aren't mediocre experiences

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
This pretty much describes every game in the Top 50 list. All of them are flawed, one way or another, all of them have good parts. It's up to personal preference whitch parts you value more in a game and which ones you don't care about.
Still, the IE games had less flaws than virtues, so for most people aren't mediocre experiences

They were honest to goodness attempts to "do it right". For that alone IE games deserve their place.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Less bitching, more reviewing.

Johannes, Humanophage, Awor Szurkrarz and Noddy, you guys voted for ADOM.

Sunsetspawn, Hirato, Vagiel, Jedi Exile, Dreed, Revenant and dr. one, you guys voted for Divinity II.

oreimo_05_02.jpg
Sir yes sir!
Sir sorry sir!
Sir I have a lot on my plate at the moment with work and studying and and general dumbfuckery sir!
pyle-hartman_zps7ef3598e.jpg

Skyrim sold a fuckton more than Mass Effect so not sure what you're talking about here.
But it's basically the same game as Oblivion and Morrowind, only dumber.

Mass Effect is more a portrait of the era, going to third-person shooter, romanceable party members you don't directly control, a "cinematic feel" and even SJW stuff. You can teel it's part of the same mindset that gave us games like The Last of Us and The Walking Dead.

Good points, however I find it endlessly amusing that all this shit Bioware considers essential to modern success is ignored by Skyrim and then Skyrim outsells them by a factor of five.

Yeah, it's almost as if they were focusing on a small group of people with very specific tastes...

me3__garrus_the_talimancer_by_padzi-d58kzcc.png

oh, right

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sorry for the delay, I haven't followed this thread since the results were posted, so here's my shitty take on Divinity 2:
Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga is a game in which you can finally be a dragon.
Even if combat mechanics are pretty basic, character progression allows for quite a few different builds and enjoyable ways to annihilate your enemies, while listening to the great soundtrack.
Like its predecessors, Divinity 2 doesn’t take itself too seriously, and at least some sense of humor is required to fully enjoy the game. An original mind reading skill is present, and it can be used on every NPC to solve some quests in a different way, obtain more skill points, or just read funny lines from Larian's writers.
Although a lot of parts of the original game feels unfinished (due to a troubled development), the Flames of Vengeance add-on is more focused, with the action taking place in a single city (and no dragon shooting until the very end), and contains what is probably Larian’s best quest design and humorous dialogue yet.

Palikka

Arcane
Dont know how to put stuff together, feel like I'm still missing half the stuff I should have put in.
Oh well, a mini review of ADOM, someone please write another one.
Ancient Domains Of Mystery was created in 1994 by Thomas Biskup and is considered one of the big three in the world of roguelikes. In ADOM the player enters the desolate, mountainous area called Drakalor Chain on a quest to investigate and defeat the forces of Chaos that have risen to threaten the peace of the world of Ancardia.

Straight out of the character creation the player is thrown in to one of ADOMs unique features that was not present in most of the roguelikes of it's time: the static overworld map. The overworld map contains all the locations, towns and dungeons of the game and half a dozen of them are viable to enter at the start of the game. The player is free to explore any of the locations in an order one chooses to gain levels and better equipment until he is confident enough to enter the games main dungeon, the Caverns of Chaos.
ADOM sports quite a number of quests for the player to do throughout the game. The quests ranges from finding the lost puppy in to killing the raider lord or the local sheriff. Even though the quests are rather simple, most in the realm of "kill foozle x," they provide a nice amount of flavor to the game and contain a tiny amount of choices affecting the rewards in equipment and alignment changes.

One of the most interesting and unique features in the game is the background corruption. The player is corrupted by the forces of the Chaos mutating the PC at an increasing speed the longer the game time goes on. The mutations ranges from p. good (stat increments) to quite useless (increased kick damage) and in to downright game stopping (curse all food/poison all potions the PC touches). All in all the negative effects of the corruptions will eventually stack and kill the PC so the game becomes a run against time before the player runs out of curruption removing items. The corruption is slow enough that there's never a real panic at the start of the game to run to the end game but the corruption is ever present and cannot be ignored if one wishes to finish the game.

Black

Arcane
Bg 2 before Arcanums, Wizardries 8s, Vampires, MotBs.
Witcher before Gothic.
New age for Codex!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom